Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dog chasing cars - training advice please

• 11-02-2008 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Our dog has taken to running after cars and I would like some advice on how to quickly train him out of this. He is fenced in but if a car visits he will get out our gate as they leave and run down the road chasing the car. If I can't stop him I'll have to keep him in or tied up, which I don't want to have to do. Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Are you (or somebody) else there when other people come round?

If so, put him on a lead, tell him to sit by your side and only release him once the car is gone and the gate closed.

If not ...then it gets difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Our dog used to chase cars when he was smaller , the way we cured it was to take him for a walk on a busy street , for the first few times he tried to chase the cars , but there were so many it quickly became blase for him and he wasnt bothered with them any more.

He hasnt chased a car since.
    Try this , it may work for you , just a simple regular walk along a busy street. Hell get bored with them very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

When I'm here - half to most of the time - I stop him from chasing. But when I'm not he chases! I will try to get the other household members to join in and have him sit/stay, thanks Peasant.

We don't live near a busy street, and usually walk him on a lead locally where there are few cars or in a park. He would have no 'sense' around cars for this reason...

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Of course you should fence your dog in if he's chasing cars. If he causes a car to swerve and kill the people in it, you'll be responsible.

To clarify - the dog IS fenced in, however, has taken to running after cars leaving our driveway when the gate opens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Can you put him in the house when people are leaving the property?

We do this with ours a lot because you have to back out of our driveway - open the door & throw 'em inside for the 3/4 minutes required. My lot are thick enough that I reckon they'd probably stand and watch a car reverse over them :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

our dog used to try and chase cars when I started walking him on a main road (on the lead, he'd just try and lunge at them as they were passing us) but now he's used to them and doesn't take any notice. maybe try walking him on a main road? If he's chasing after the cars as their leaving, just put him on a lead until the car has gone and the gate has been closed again. also, make him sit and give him a treat if he behaves himself. do you play games with him etc to keep him occupied? Instead of him making up games to entertain himself i.e. chasing cars!

Thanks kerrysgold, thats kind of what I had started to do so I'll continue with this but in a more consistent way - ie get the rest of the household involved so that it happens even when I'm not here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

It's not really a training issue is it - it's up to you to keep the dog secure :confused:
    Put him away when you know people are leaving . Simple as

Advertisement