Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lying Ryan says Ireland world leader in wireless and mobile broadband

Options
  • 11-02-2008 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

Hear him tell more than a few porkies here.

On the National Broadband Scheme 4.20 Rolling out from June.

On the International Broadband Advisoy Forum, he says local users contribute too?: 5.00

You want to hear from International experts but secondly you want to hear from the main users?

On broadband in general: 5.18 "We are actually leading the world in terms of wireless and mobile connections in broadband"

On Northern Ireland and broadband: 5.39 "In many instances I think we're actually ahead"

Dempsey never told lies like that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

damien.m wrote: »

Ryan seems to have lost his faculties for reason and logic in the last few months.

The first one was "You must believe me"... only lunatics peddle beliefs as truth.

Then the recycling saga, he's been recycling old Dempsey Dail answers.
    Believe me when I say it's good for the environment, the ministerial office.

Then there is this debacle, lies, lies and untruths.
    The Greens have sold their souls for mercs and perks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

damien.m wrote: »

On the National Broadband Scheme 4.20 Rolling out from June.

On the International Broadband Advisoy Forum, he says local users contribute too?: 5.00

You want to hear from International experts but secondly you want to hear from the main users?

On broadband in general: 5.18 "We are actually leading the world in terms of wireless and mobile connections in broadband"

On Northern Ireland and broadband: 5.39 "In many instances I think we're actually ahead"

Dempsey never told lies like that.

I remember when this guy was trotted out as being good for the Irish broadband market...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I remember when this guy was trotted out as being good for the Irish broadband market...

Not by me he wasn't and neither was Dempsey before him.

A right useless arrogant pair of gobsheens the two of them are.

Ryan also said 4.50 mins in onward before he utterly lost the run of himself lying that the ( apart from wind generation) 'deliberations' of the forum on whatever the **** NGN is will open up discussions to public and interest groups.

I can guarantee to all here that :

1. Ryans forum with the various experts (and Isolde:( ) will not discuss anything with any relevant non telco stakeholders
    2. They will hear from eircom voda o2 and alto ...well if alto make enough noise then maybe alto .
    3. They will not have a website or email address for receipt of submissions
    4. They will not have an office or a secretariat.
    5. They MOST CERTAINLY will not entertain any submission/contact/supplication/observation from the public.
    6. They will be exactly like the Comreg Consumer Panel if Isolde has anything to do with it .

They will waft in, invoice Ryan immediately and **** off again .

A 50 page collection of BS will ensue maybe with an appendix or two from some consultant or other and of course ....at great cost.

It will amount to nothing and shall simply be used , when rolled into a cylinder, as a device for sounding the loudest and emptiest container in the cabinet and thats all :(

Thanks for nothing Ryan, in advance. I expect no less from you .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I have no idea how anyone would ever have thought he would be good. He's a bumbling fool and always was. I switched on something like the week in politics last night and some labour woman was sitting in the studio treating him like a child, patiently explaining things to him. He's completely clueless and can't argue any points, it's just stuff like "trust me, it's good for the environment" type of rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Not by anyone who read their broadband manifesto prior to the election surely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

damien.m wrote:
    How long have NI had 99.5% coverage, with BT installing satelite at minimal cost where it's not possible to BB any other way ?

UTV - Anytime Bundle 1- £28.48 per month ( €38.06 )
    line rental
    8mbps / 2GB limit
    free phone calls to land lines in UK + ROI

eircom line rental is €25.36
    cheapest always on package is €24.99 on top of that
    to get BB + free call (ROI only) it's €55.99

or just compare UTV costs on both sides of the border, since they are a reseller the only difference in price and availabilty is down to BT/ Eircom , the demographics are very similar too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

More from the Dail (21/02/08)

222. Deputy Simon Coveney asked the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources the cost to the Exchequer of the International Advisory Forum on broadband to be held in Dublin later this month. [7197/08]

Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources (Deputy Eamon Ryan): The estimate of the cost of the International Advisory Forum on broadband is €50,000.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspx?F=DAL20080221.xml&Node=H14&Page=27

clohamon wrote: »
    More from the Dail (21/02/08)

222. the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources

That man shouldn't be left in charge of used toilet roll. He is utterly useless.
    He even recycles Dempseys old answers, how green is that.
    Any competent man would at least come up with his own lies:

" The provision of broadband services is, in the first instance, a matter for the private sector. Broadband service providers operate in a fully liberalised market, regulated, where appropriate, by the independent Commission for Communications Regulation, ComReg. There are a number of platforms for delivery of broadband, and the service providers are now offering broadband by wireless, satellite, fibre or standard telephone cable and more recently, by mobile in all areas of the country. My Department operates a dedicated website, www.broadband.gov.ie where potential broadband customers can ascertain the availability of services in their area.

Those parts of the country where the private sector will be unable to justify the commercial provision of broadband services will be addressed by the National Broadband Scheme (NBS). I hope to be in a position to appoint a service provider to implement the scheme by the middle of this year."

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

bealtine wrote: »
    .....I hope to be in a position to appoint a service provider to implement the scheme by the middle of this year."

So it's moved from definitely be started in June and done within a year (Primetime last week) to "I hope"...

I'm "hoping" to win the lotto tonight. But since I'm not going to make the basic investment of buying a ticket, I think my chances are limited. Unless "Somebody" buys me one.

Muppet.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

Excerpt from last week's debate in Dail Eireann. Simon Coveney describing Eamon Ryan's change of stance.

He did not tell us a single thing we did not already know. Instead of adding to the broadband debate, in terms of new thinking, he wasted everybody’s time for 30 minutes. Not only that, but much of what he said last night and much of what is proposed in the Government’s motion totally contradicts his own views of less than a year ago. Let me look at the MANS and the group broadband schemes in particular. The Government’s amendment states that it:
    commends:

- the Government for its positive interventions, such as supporting the construction of Metropolitan Area Networks, through investment of €175 million for networks built or under construction in 93 regional cities and towns and providing capital grants under the County and Group Broadband Scheme.
    Less than a year ago, before the Minister took office, when he frontbench spokesperson for the Green Party on communications he said:
    The MANS project, in particular, has been a spectacular waste of public money. The first phase of MANS was built at a cost of €85 million and it became immediately apparent that the scheme was not working. Despite this spectacularly poor return on the State’s investment, the Government continued to plough a further €118 million into the second phase of MANS, digging holes around the country to lay fibre cable which will never be lit up.

The Government’s group broadband scheme which was meant to provide broadband access to more remote areas of the country has been a total failure. They have thrown good money after bad and have left us without the broadband services our industries need, if we are to continue to thrive as a knowledge economy.
    How things have changed in eight months. He now gives the Department’s view and the Department’s rhetoric. The new and ambitious thinking he had when on this side is nowhere to be seen.

• Advertisement

clohamon wrote: »
    How things have changed in eight months. He now gives the Department’s view and the Department’s rhetoric. The new and ambitious thinking he had when on this side is nowhere to be seen..

He even sounds like Dempsey now.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

The Borg Collective (your local ministerial cabinet)

Advertisement