Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gyms around Maynooth

• 11-02-2008 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭

I've been looking at joining a gym (again...), seems theres 4 options near enough by - Glenroyal, Celbridge Mill, NUI Maynooth and Leixlip Amenities Centre. Anyone any opinions on these, or been a member of more than one of them at any time? I've no desire for a swimming pool, etc, which is what seems to justify the Glenroyal's higher cost.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭catyb20

I have only used the college one, didn't particularly like, but it was free! have heard good reports on the glenroyal and i am considering joining it or curves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I can't really join Curves ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Glenroyal is pretty good and has got more machines recently. Quite busy in the evenings (what gym isn't I guess).

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭catyb20

MYOB wrote: »
    I can't really join Curves ;)

well i took a 50/50 chance there puttin it in!

the college gym can get busy at anytime, which was the biggest problem i had with it. early morning was grand, but after that you couldn't be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Amenities Centre gym isn't great, minimal machines and the free weights aren't great. Not worth the membership fee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

How much are the memberships for all these gyms does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I think the prices for the glenroayal are roughly 400-500 euro .. but don't count on me on that (me and my bf went on a tour for the craic and we got a price list!) but if your a student and have a student card its cheaper I think.

I have a friend who joined there recently, it's costing him 40 euro a month, but I don't know wether he got a child/student/adult membership!

It's a good gym though, used to go swimming there when I was younger!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

recently joined the amenities centre for 6 months on a student membership.only cost me 140 so if i get there about 4 times a week it works out at next to nothing per session. the gym isnt huge but at the same time ive yet to go and see it busy.i was a member of crunch in westmanstown where despite having a huge amount of machines, in the evenings you would regularly have to queue for treadmills and cross trainers and all the weight machines. have to say im really happy in the amenities, the instructor is sound and is always askin how im getting on etc. even gave me an eating plan. compare that to the big gyms where your just another face among hundreds of members and they couldnt give a dam about how your progressing.as long as you dont complain, they dont care.thumbs up for the amenities from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

The gym at St. Mary's GAA club in Leixlip is quite good. Was a member there last year, it's clean and spacious, not huge, but has most/all of what you'd need for a decent work out. Rarely very busy, but like most places you'll get busy and quiet times, maybe I was just lucky.

Not as expensive as some gyms in the area, might be worth checking the website and giving them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I joined the Glenroyal and think it's great. But I do shift work so I can attend the gym when it's not busy as hell. Still, the swimming pool for adults is a great job with a seperate one for adults and children. Granted, the price is a little steep but I feel you get what you pay, unless you go for 3 weeks and then become a couch potato!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Joined the NUI one in the end, only real problem is constrained weekend opening hours - I'm still hungover when its closing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 djdeego

i was just wondering wat age you have to be to become a member of the celbridge gym. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

16+ i'd imagine,most gyms have that as their minimum age

Advertisement