Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeepers Creepers

Options
  • 11-02-2008 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I have a really small garden that i'm trying to fix up . i want to be green all round , walls and fences but have no idea what kind or creeper to go with :confused:

Can anyone give some advice on something thats gonna be green all year round, grows quickly, and won't cause damage to my walls? (-i have read that ivy can break walls when its there long term):o

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

The list of hardy evergreen climbers is not a very long one...Ivy being the obvious one, can in time grow strong and cause cracking to walls.

Heres a few google them to see what they look like:

Clematis cirrhosa var balearica- large flower pink maroon spots (bronzes in winter)
    Clematis Armandii snowdrift- white
    Passiflora caeruleoracemosa- Pink passionflowers

You will also have to check with your local garden centre to see if they stock it...

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭missbusy

Thanks ! :) I'll do that !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Popular evergreen climbers would include:

Cissus Striata (evergreen virginian creeper), Jasminum Officianale (summer flowering jasmine), Pyranacantha (Firethorn- many different varieties, fabulous colour flowers and berrires and an ideal choice with spikey stems where security might be important), Solanum (sol. crispum 'glasnevin' and album) and clematis armandii ' appleblossom' (beautiful scented white flowers in spring).

It is also worth considering to plant two distinct varieties but ideally with similar growing patterns etc whereby you'll get evergreen but also extended flower/colour displays.

Advertisement