Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New devices: Nokia (N96, N78...), SE (X1...), etc... Mobile World Congress is on...

2»

Comments

It looks expensive :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

It looks expensive :(

Guess you're right - it's made by htc, and look at their prices, then add the SE Factor...
    But trying to beat the iPhone's not cheap, and it can't be worse than Samsung's attempt - the mediocre f700.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

Hi All
    anybody seen this on sale yet or has anybody bought 1 if so whats the site please
    thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Is it not out till the later part of 2008 or something?

it's out alright it's just not available here until august

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I read on the Nokia site that they are not released till the 3rd quater of 2008 ?

http://www.nokia.com/A4136001?newsid=1190120

Mobile World Congress 2008, Barcelona, Spain/Espoo, Finland - Nokia today unveiled the Nokia N96, a multimedia computer truly optimized for video and TV. With a large 2.8" screen, 16 gigabytes of internal memory and support for high-quality videos in a wide range of formats, the dual-slide Nokia N96 represents an exciting new chapter in mobile media. The Nokia N96 multimedia computer is expected to begin shipping in the third quarter of 2008 with an estimated sales price of approximately 550 euros, before subsidies or taxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Forget that I want the Nokia 'Tube'!

Someone say Iphone killer? :D

(2009...:()

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

god's toy wrote: »
    Forget that I want the Nokia 'Tube'!

Someone say Iphone killer? :D

(2009...:()
    I thought the Tube was coming out this year. Chances are though it is touch screen and not multitouch. I don't really fancy using a stylus with a phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

goldwing wrote: »

Well sorry for answering your question !!!!

• Advertisement

Officially, the N96 afaik is still schedulled for a Q3 release, but according to this article "insiders" - at least in Germany - are expecting it much earlier.
    Specifically, on May 7th!!!
    http://www.chip.de/news/Nokia-N96-kommt-schon-Anfang-Mai_31471910.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Chergar

That may be true, but it will be at least Q1 start to cover it. Something that really pisses me off considering they release them on the same networks in the uk for no bloody reason. Of course at least we can buy it online. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,131 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

what does this offer that n82/n95 8gb doesnt? apart from a bigger screen,

is it just dvb tv?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Cyrus wrote: »

is it just dvb tv?

Its not a Brick :D

is it just dvb tv?

http://www.punchkickinteractive.com/blog/index.php/mobile/nokia/nokia-n96-specs-released-flash-lite-30-preinstalled/

flash light 3 preinstalled - i.e. browser is youtube etc capable... 16gb internal memory and other added bells and whistles... But maybe not enough to throw away that n95/8? (by then or thereabouts, opera mobile will support youtbe etc plus widgets)... Guess the early release might have a bit to do with the early iphone II release? But could be a rumour??????

hmm the last n82 firmware update i did added the flash and widget support

id love something ground breaking from nokia, higher res screen, something like that

i couldnt justify going from an n82 to that, especially when its a slider (hate sliders!!)

hmm the last n82 firmware update i did added the flash and widget support

id love something ground breaking from nokia, higher res screen, something like that

i couldnt justify going from an n82 to that, especially when its a slider (hate sliders!!)

a higher res screen? Agree re. slider... Not a fan. Like my n95/8 but mostly still use my e61 for convenience, and the safe knowledge that if push comes to ....I can use it as a hammer, a frisbee etc without having to worry about the landing...
    I'm sure they'll make sure there's sth in the 96 that a mere fw update cannot add... But, yeah, I don't think this is "it"... There are the persistent N99/100 rumours, and the confirmed "tube" that's been hyped as another iphone-killer, is actually only their entry-level touch screen, so I guess you'll have to wait until after the tube, but with an n82 that shouldn't be too hard!

higher res as in nokia phones have been 320*240 for an age, we need 800*600! or even 640*480

higher res as in nokia phones have been 320*240 for an age, we need 800*600! or even 640*480

yeah, would be nice; but overall I prefer quality and usability... The low res-ish 6680 screen e.g. was perfectly readable outdoors in bright sunlight, though indoors it stank against the competition... But how good is a screen on a camera or camera phone if you can't see what it depicts outdoors where you can make the best shots?
    And then there's the "smudge-effect" of the touchscreen layer (granted, some touchscreens are quite impressive: look at the shiner on the otherwise limited ubiquio/imate jaq) - compare n800 and n95... N95's screen much better on the eye despite lower res.

it's a bit like more-megapix in phone cam not necessarily better pictures... Other factors to consider...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

So how long would it take to reach our shores in that case? And do we know who's carrying it here?

• Advertisement

Wheels wrote: »
    So how long would it take to reach our shores in that case? And do we know who's carrying it here?

probably not before they've sold every n95/n95 8gb in the country.... But you wouldn't want a branded one anyways hehehe! But it's gonna be expensive, I think - buy-a-umpc-instead-expensive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Hi.
    Anyone know when this is due out.
    I heard Q3 2008 which is in 2 months.
    Saw a preview of it on Youtube and it seems like a genuinely lovely device.
    Very feature-packed with 16gb storage IIRC.
    Any ideas how much it might cost sim-free/on contract?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Theirs honestly now too many good fones on the market. Its getting quiet hard to pick one :(

Between the LG Viewty, n95 and all these new phones I dont know what one to get..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 joeblogs

Bumping this up...Anybody anymore info on the release dates for the n96 or any of the above phones????

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Twiki

The N96 is available for pre-order on the nokia.co.uk website with expected delivery September (priced £535). Apparently, the phones have just begun shipping from the factories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The N96 could be done :)

Advertisement