Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quote to replace kitchen worktops a bit much???

Options
  • 11-02-2008 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi, I need to change the worktops in my kitchen due to burn damage caused by tenants. It's a small enough kitchen in a terraced house consisting of 2 worktops in an L shape. The longer part of the L is 208cm in length and has a standard sink and draining board in it. The shorter part is 192cm approx and has a gas hob. Both worktops slide under tiles on each wall.

I was quoted a rough figure by a fitter recommended to me by the original kitchen suppliers who fitted the kitchen when the house was built.

Going on the dimensions above he's quoted between 8 and 900. That would be including worktops at a cost of 100 per unit.

Is this excessive or the norm, I have no idea what the standard price for this type of work is so any replies appreciated.

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

DamoKen wrote: »
    Hi, I need to change the worktops in my kitchen due to burn damage caused by tenants. It's a small enough kitchen in a terraced house consisting of 2 worktops in an L shape. The longer part of the L is 208cm in length and has a standard sink and draining board in it. The shorter part is 192cm approx and has a gas hob. Both worktops slide under tiles on each wall.

I was quoted a rough figure by a fitter recommended to me by the original kitchen suppliers who fitted the kitchen when the house was built.

Going on the dimensions above he's quoted between 8 and 900. That would be including worktops at a cost of 100 per unit.

Is this excessive or the norm, I have no idea what the standard price for this type of work is so any replies appreciated.

cheers

sweet devine...........8 or 900! What a ripp off.
    You'd do it yourself with not much hassles - and with the savings go on your summer holidays!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

thought it seemed a lot, as I said though no idea what the norm for this type of job is. If it was just a plain old counter without a sink or gas hob needing to be disconnected, as well as the holes for each needing to be cut out as well as another shape cut in the end of one of the units to fit around ducting behind the plaster board I'd think of trying it myself. However I don't have either the tools for cutting, nor the experience for disconnecting and reconnecting sinks and gas hobs.
    Plus I want to have an invoice to show the ex tenant why I'm holding at least some of their deposit for the damage done.

Any recommendations for a more reasonable and good fitter on the northside of Dublin?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

DamoKen wrote: »

cheers

Tres excessive. I would expect a whole kitchen fitted for this type of money. You are going to need 2 lenghts of worktop (3M lenghts as far as i know), they should work out about €100-€120 each at any diy place. Spend the other €600 on a good drill, circular saw and jigsaw.

Also, you will be very lucky to get the old worktop off without cracking tiles, If you dont break the tiles it will need to be regrouted. Just buy a tube of ready mixed stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Spend the other €600 on a good drill, circular saw and jigsaw.

In fairness, the original poster did not ask about the feasibility of doing it themselves and could quite possibly have two left hands.

As highlighted by all posters, it does seem excessive. A good handyman might be able to complete it, at the material costs mentioned by oleras, in 4 to 5 hours, so labour is costing you approx €100ph, based on the quote you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 BelaC

Andrea B. wrote: »
    In fairness, the original poster did not ask about the feasibility of doing it themselves and could quite possibly have two left hands.

As highlighted by all posters, it does seem excessive. A good handyman might be able to complete it, at the material costs mentioned by oleras, in 4 to 5 hours, so labour is costing you approx €100ph, based on the quote you have.

Wao. So expensive a labour> "labour is costing you approx €100ph", why? In This case I ready to do this work cheaper. I'm a kind of man-of-all-work, a real handyman. I did 2 times kitchen furnitures in Hungary myself. I'm also welcome another "small" jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Jesus that is mental!!!!! Are u in Mayo anywhere, give u a hand lad if u want!! that is such a rip off!

cheers for all the replies lads. As to doing it myself, concern would be with the sink and gas hob, disconnecting and reconnecting. Wouldn't be comfortable doing it on my own first time around.

Anyways, thought as much concerning price, couldn't work out how it could be so expensive. Got another builder out today and he quoted 300 for labour and whatever the countertop is on top which is some difference! He'll come out in the morning to fit it and hopefully be done after lunch.

I'll be watching every step for doing it myself next time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi DamoKen

Putting a sink in is much easier than you think. I put a new one in my Util room.(1st time) There wasnt one there so I just bought a good ish jigsaw and turned the sink upside down drew round where the sink was gonna go. Then drew 10mill inside that line and cut out Sink slipped in perfect. As you have the old work top you could just use them as a template.

As for the gas get a qualified plumber to re-connect the gas........

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

80e it costed us for our new house.

GF's father bought the counter top at a good price and fitted it for us. 80e trade price for the counter top.

just an update, got it done last week for €400, 300 for labour and 100 for the 2 counter tops. I selected the one I wanted from the panel centre, gave him a call and he already had a large end piece of the same type from another job he was going to bin so he only charged for the second one, which was still 35 under the retail price so I'm happy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Damoken .. could you give me contact details for the crowd you went with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

I was quoted €700 for fitting an entire kitchen

Advertisement