Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Herbs - Growing you own?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aeneas

Aeneas do you find your coriander comes up as a pleasant, bushy, green plant, or does it wheedle its way upwards in a few feathery leaves and go to seed in seemingly no time at all? Any time I've tried to grow coriander outside in Europe (SE of England at the time, so warmish climate) it went all of nowhere and did precisely what I've just described with the wheedling. Perhaps I need to sow it more thickly?

I would say my plants are more tall than bushy. But they are satisfactory and give me sufficient coriander leaves; maybe in warmer climates they bush up more than they do here. That said I see little difference between plants I grow in the polytunnel and those outside. I find the plants have two kinds of leaves - nice succulent ones on the bottom half which are suitable for cooking, and coarser ones towards the top which do not have that fresh coriander taste. These latter develop before the seed heads form. I sow plenty of seed in succession for a long summer/autumn supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

and of course use the coriander root for cooking, v.good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

i dont think thats really good advice dizzy, i could be just from your experiance, i bought cherry ,pear, and apple trees last year in aldi,s and there going to fruit this summer.i know the plants herbs and tree,s in the likes of dunnes ,tesco,s are really poor, but if you have a good screw at them before you buy them you cant go wrong, i planted beets, onions, cabbage, carrots,and a lot of salad veg from aldi,s and there all coming on very well,its not that i have good soil,i live in a council estate and the soil is dreadfull were i am.i think its great everyone growing there own,failure is all part of the process.so i think every one sould be plantin an postin,let everyone know your success and failures.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Souness

Started growing corriander and lemongrass indoors, both doing very well and are no trouble. But been looking for a Kaffir Lime tree for the past while and cannot locate one in Ireland. I see that in this thread MrMagnolia was asking the same question 2 years ago. Hoping that there has been some success in that time since. So anyomne know where one can be sourced? Or anyone have one that would be willing to give me a cutting?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I didn't get one anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Anyone that likes herbs take a visit to Ardgillen castle between Skerries and Balbriggan. It has an old Victorian Walled garden with a Herb Garden. Some very unique herbs like pineapple mint, ginger mint etc. You never know if you ask nicely the gardener might allow you to take cuttings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mbates

Hi there, have you tried this trick with those rosemary plants from the supermarket? I'm setting up a raised bed of herbs (rosemary, parsley, mint, oregano, thyme, lavender) and wondering where to buy the plants/seeds. I know that rosemary can be hard to start off from seed so I was wondering could I get the already grown plants from the supermarket and plant them outside? or are those plants purely for indoor use? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

mbates wrote: »
    Hi there, have you tried this trick with those rosemary plants from the supermarket? I'm setting up a raised bed of herbs (rosemary, parsley, mint, oregano, thyme, lavender) and wondering where to buy the plants/seeds. I know that rosemary can be hard to start off from seed so I was wondering could I get the already grown plants from the supermarket and plant them outside? or are those plants purely for indoor use? Thanks

Dunnes have a lovely rosemary plants.

The frost killed all of mine off this year which I'm gutted about but they were beautiful before this. The one thing I have found is that they can take a long time before they settle and thrive. They don't like their feet wet. If you can put them against a sunny wall with well drained soil they'll be at their happiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

I am wondering about the tumbler toms. A hanging basket you say. <rubs beard> would the birds not eat them all? Would they ripen outside or could you bring them into the windowsill to finish them off?

I am just back from town with a packet of mixed cut and come again lettuce seeds. I'd love lots of nice salad for the summer. I was going to put them into a box, maybe 2 ft by one foot and leave them on the sunny side of the patio. How thinly should I sow or should I give them a while to germinate and then thin them. I'm a bit of an amateur at this game.

Advertisement