Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooring for Dog Runs

Options
  • 11-02-2008 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

I'm building a secure area for my dog to play at the back of my house.

The area is a field so I've to get a digger to clear off a patch, the question is what type of flooring should I use I was thinking about ready mix concrete does anyone have any other suggestions.

Its going to be a fairly big area is there anyone in Ireland who sells this http://www.kenneldeck.com/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

We use patio tiles and it seems fine.The only problem is cleaning up the sh!te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

GA361 wrote: »
    We use patio tiles and it seems fine.The only problem is cleaning up the sh!te.

That's what I want to use concrete easy to hose down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I find concrete ideal and it can be power hosed every week.

Vas_Guy wrote: »
    That's what I want to use concrete easy to hose down.

That might be a disadvantage,i.e concrete.
    If you use the tiles the dirty water can slip down the narrow cracks,and you will not be able to move the concrete during the summer months when the pavement gets too hot for the dogs to walk on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

GA361 wrote: »
    That might be a disadvantage,i.e concrete.
    If you use the tiles the dirty water can slip down the narrow cracks,and you will not be able to move the concrete during the summer months when the pavement gets too hot for the dogs to walk on.

Do you get weeds growing up from the narrow cracks in the tiles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If the area is shaded the concrete shouldn't get too hot also you can hose it down with water now and throughout the day to cool it, we don't get many hot days anyway but when we do there are ways of covering the run, I find cheap blue tarp like what you would use to cover a car works well in keeping the sun (or rain) out. The patio slabs do get weeds coming out of them an option for that is to grout them with cement but you will get the occasional weed.

The weeds are'nt that big a problem because the soil beneath the slabs get saturated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Amimad

I use cow mats, you should get them in any agricultural supply store/feed mart.
    Or try http://www.easyfixrubber.com they do all sorts of rubber flooring & should have some thing suitable for dogs that can be easliy cleaned.

Concrete might be the most economical solution but I find after a while the concrete will smell of urine( it just seems to seep in)

Ami

Advertisement