Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Worn wheel bearing in 97 VW polo

Options
  • 11-02-2008 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

I had my NCT test on Friday, I did not get her checked out beforehand, I decided to see what was needed first and then get them repaired. Not too much wrong, just back shocks & brakes. However he said that the wheel bearing at the back on the passenger side is worn. He said I should hear a humming sound but I can’t hear anything unusual, I don’t think so anyway.
    Anyway, I am getting the parts replaced in two weeks but planned to travel a 150 mile each way trip next weekend plus 50 miles every day for work in the meantime.
    Am I safe enough driving with a worn wheel bearing, I suppose it depends on how bad it is. Someone said that VW bearings are fairly safe even when worn. Has anyone any advice? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If you don't hear it humming and grinding it most likely isn't too bad yet. All in all you'll be putting on a good 600 mile before it's getting replaced. Personally I'd just hang on and replace it when you're doing the other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

I checked the wheel and there is no movement at all in it. How does the NCT tester diagnose this? It says on the shhet that its a visual check

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If the bearing is worn, you should hear a drone as you round a bend and put weight on the wheel in question. If it is worn and you leave it be, it will eventually destroy itself.

Jack up the offending wheel taking the weight fully off the wheel. Grab the wheel at the top and the bottom and rock it to and fro - you should be able to feel the play.

EDIT - you may be able to 'nip' the bearing which will pass the NCT - but you'll have to keep an eye on it....

crosstownk wrote: »
    If the bearing is worn, you should hear a drone as you round a bend and put weight on the wheel in question. If it is worn and you leave it be, it will eventually destroy itself.

Jack up the offending wheel taking the weight fully off the wheel. Grab the wheel at the top and the bottom and rock it to and fro - you should be able to feel the play.

EDIT - you may be able to 'nip' the bearing which will pass the NCT - but you'll have to keep an eye on it....

Well I'm gonna replace it before my rtest but will I be safe enough doing a few long journeys with it in the meantime?
    I jacked her up but can not find any play in it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Glenman wrote: »
    will I be safe enough doing a few long journeys with it in the meantime?

Impossible to answer without checking it - and even at that it would be a case of 'how long is a piece of string'. If you're in any doubt change the bearing at your earliest convenience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

They are only 25 euro or so and it would only take 15 min to do so long as the drum doesnt get caught in the brake shoes. More than likely if its not hummin and there is no play yet its not gonna fall off in the next month. Drum has to come off for the brakes anyway so just get it done then

crosstownk wrote: »

Nip the bearing, do you mean tighten it somehow?
    How is this done? What sort of a tool would you need? Can you access the place for tightening it once you take the wheel off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Glenman wrote: »
    Nip the bearing, do you mean tighten it somehow?
    How is this done? What sort of a tool would you need? Can you access the place for tightening it once you take the wheel off?
    You dont even need to take the wheel of if it is on steel rims. You will need a screwdriver, a snips and iirc a 22 spanner, too much typing to explain how to do it to a lay person.. get someone who knows what they are doing to do it for ya

Advertisement