Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Stock restoration

Options
  • 11-02-2008 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39,400 ✭✭✭✭

Mods, this thread is also posted in the shooting forum, and I know that normally theads should only be posted in one forum (at least thats what we allow in the construction and planning forum), BUT due to the fact that the two forums have little cross-over, and because a user here may know how to restore a gun, yet not own one so unlikely to see the shooting forum thread. Please delete if against rules

Has anybody ever had a restoration/makeover done on the stock? Or carried this work out? What exactly would be involved, can it be a DIY job.

Basically, the gun is question is an O/U shotgun thats a few years old. The colour looks to be a little off. Slightly faded, finish gone in places. Similar work required to the fore-end

Is it just a case of sanding and oiling or lacquering depending on type of finish? What products are available for this? What about checkered areas.

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

I've no experience with restoring gun stocks but I've successfully restored very intricate carvings in pine and mahogany without damaging fine details. I've used thick paste type paint and varnish strippers, applied with an old brush and then covered the article with cling film to prevent the solvents from evaporating. Use a combination of old tootbrushes, wooden spatulas (bamboo skewers are great for this- easily sharpened and very strong) and fine steel wool or green scouring pads to remove the paint. Patience and a delicate approach are required, especially in the latter stages. for finishing I think it's hard to beat danish oil, applied in many coats and allowed to build up and harden over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,400 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I thought of a toothbrush already. Think it should be great for the grip.
    At first I thought of danish or teak oil, after reading up online it appears linseed oil or tang oil are the best for this stuff.

Advertisement