Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ryanair Car Insurance

Options
  • 11-02-2008 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I've just heard that Ryanair is launching car insurance in Ireland (http://www.ryanaircarinsurance.com/). Just went through a quick quote for myself there and it's worked out 100 euro cheaper so it looks like there are decent savings to be made. Anyone know more about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

Always look at the extras you are getting i.e. breakdown cover, excess, windscreen cover. NCB protection.

Going by ryanair i say these aren't included.

Read the small print

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Did a quick quote and they gave me 320 euro for comp, no other details on what exactly is covered in that. I'm currently paying 380, but I have full NCB protection, drive other cars and all the extras. I went through the detailed quote, entered everything and they're unable to provide me with a quote at all.

This just affirms my opinion of Ryanair, shower of cowboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Just went through the whole process and it works out cheaper, by around 15%, than my current...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just make sure that you have the 'slider' on the left hand side of the page set to comprehensive (or TPFT or whatever you want).

I thought it was giving me a quote €100 cheaper than what I had, but when I changed the slider to fully comp, it worked out about €150 more expensive. And I'm not sure if windscreen cover and breakdown assistance was included in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

When i first heard of this i was pretty sure it'd be a yellow pack/no nonsense product but haven't looked so can't answer that

As has been stated already make sure you check what the policy includes/does not include. Like flying with Ryanair, they may be the cheapest but a lot of people go elsewhere for service and other 'frills'. However if the basic level of cover is all you want by all means go for it. What ever product suits your budget and needs is the product you should buy.

Btw ryanair are only selling the insurance, AFAIK FBD underwrite

EDIT: Just checked a quick quote and its about 350-400 more than what I'd pay if I wasn't getting staff rates in my company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, did a quote with them and one with my current insurer. Ryanair worked out about €100 more expensive when I added in the relevant extras.

They might be good for younger drivers, but it wouldn't quote younger than 25 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

They wouldn't give an online quote on any thing more than 10 years old. I presume it's because FBD are the underwriters and they seem to have the same policy. It makes me quite sad about my 97 Fiesta though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

They wouldn't give an online quote on any thing more than 10 years old. I presume it's because FBD are the underwriters and they seem to have the same policy. It makes me quite sad about my 97 Fiesta though :(

treid to get a full quote out of interests sake. Wouldn't quote me. Also have a 97 Fiesta :D. Also on a provisional tho

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

am 25 with full license & 2 years NCB) with an 02 Alfa. currently with quinn direct who are currently charging €1,100 TFT.

ryanair just quoted me €794 fully comp, however with breakdown assist , car hire , windscreen cover , personal property cover , and personal medical bills of up to €1,000 for everyone in car in case of accident it comes to €934 which is very , very good IMO and now has me following up this quote :D

also, moved to motors

god damn, forum drop down menu jumped on me and the thread ended up here in travel instead

mods could you move to motors please , my bad :o:o:o:o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Looks like they wont quote on imports well japanese ones anyway

They were 150 cheaper untill i went for the full quote and said car had been imported.

Ah well:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Yeah, FBD won't do imports, and in fact are anal about it. They class UK imports the same as Japanese imports.

OTOH, paying €420 at mo with QD, and after getting a quote of €246 on that site!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

From what I gather. Ryanair Insurance do not cover as strandard (Fully Comp) Windscreen cover, breakdown assist. Add in these 'extras' as you may pay more than your current provider. Did a quote €537 Fully Comp (excess at €250) Windscreen cover, Breakdown Driving other car TPFT. Current insurance with all above €480 incl step back NCD.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

They want €40 extra per bag if you want to carry luggage. Also it's €10 extra to get in the priority lane at traffic lights. Dont even think about bringing a bottle of water in the car with you - it'll void your insurance. If you use the in-car navigation and are going to Cork, it'll direct you to waterford and give you a deal on a bus the rest of the way....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

They're quoting me approx 200 less than I pay with Quinn (both fully comp). I recently passed the test and insurance is up for renewal in April so I'll wait until then and see.

Oddly enough, Ryanair seem to have one of the clearest most transparent websites for car insurance. I like the sliders for excess and TPFT/comp. It lets you see the difference quite quickly without having to resubmit the form oodles of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

stevec wrote: »
    They want €40 extra per bag if you want to carry luggage. Also it's €10 extra to get in the priority lane at traffic lights. Dont even think about bringing a bottle of water in the car with you - it'll void your insurance. If you use the in-car navigation and are going to Cork, it'll direct you to waterford and give you a deal on a bus the rest of the way....

True enough but what other insurer provides you with scratch cards mid journey?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have TPF with Hibernian. Full comp with Ryan is still aprox 200 below of what I would pay today. Hmmmm :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

JHMEG wrote: »
    Yeah, FBD won't do imports, and in fact are anal about it. They class UK imports the same as Japanese imports.

OTOH, paying €420 at mo with QD, and after getting a quote of €246 on that site!:eek:

The Ryanair insurance website will except UK imports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

andyeire wrote: »
    The Ryanair insurance website will except UK imports.
    Of course it will, as we by and large have the same cars. It's not likely to accept a Toyota Levin tho.

When my wife told FBD her Civic was a UK import they said "sorry, we can't insure imports".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Isn't Ryanair = FBD broker???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you want a quote make sure you go to Full Quote.
    I was a happy camper until I got the message "Based on the information you've provided we are unable to provide you with a quote". I rang their support for an explanation.
    The guy on the phone said that if the website said something in my profile, age, car, blah failed then he couldn't find out what.

I think I'd better stick with my old insurer for the time being. Car insurance, Ryan air support...

just got my renewal quote from Quinn Direct asking for €934 for TPFT , Ryaniar have offered me fully comp for a whopping extra €8 . gues where im moving my policy to as of the 5th of next month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Grinderman

Marathon Man

Have you any experience of the Ryanair model of doing business.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they soon started charging for the use of their toilets on board. Don't anyone dare accuse me of spreading stupid rumours.
    I have to be cynical and personally anything with the Ryanair logo or colours, i wouldnt touch with a barge pole.
    But thats just me, do your research is all i say, and lots of it.

Garry

I've just heard that Ryanair is launching car insurance in Ireland (http://www.ryanaircarinsurance.com/). Just went through a quick quote for myself there and it's worked out 100 euro cheaper so it looks like there are decent savings to be made. Anyone know more about this?

Advertisement