Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xp sees but wont connect to network.

• 11-02-2008 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Hello all. I recently got a new router ZyXEL NBG334W. Its working fine but XP wont connect to it wirelessly. No problems with Ubuntu connecting. PS3 connects fine and also Vista. Its not just my install of XP because i had a friend over who has an XP laptop and that would not connect either. It sees the network but keeps giving the error windows cannot connect to this type of network or the network may be out of range. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 drude_2002

What type of encryption is on the Network?? When do you get the error?? If you do have encryption, turn it off on the router and see can you connect then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

drude_2002 wrote: »
    What type of encryption is on the Network?? When do you get the error?? If you do have encryption, turn it off on the router and see can you connect then.
    I was using WPA 2 PSK. I turned it off and its connecting fine now. I want to secure this network tho. Which types of encryption does xp support?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Dilogoat

Use WEP encryption. Much easier to use and in my experience I've never had an issue with WEP but some with WPA.

Dilogoat wrote: »
    Use WEP encryption. Much easier to use and in my experience I've never had an issue with WEP but some with WPA.

Ive been told WEP is not as secure. Is it easily accessed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

bandit197 wrote: »
    Ive been told WEP is not as secure. Is it easily accessed?
    It's easily cracked, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

rkm wrote: »
    It's easily cracked, yes.

As is WPA tbh . There's no such thing as a secure wireless network but the better the precautions you take the less likely you are to get hit .......

Ya see Xp doesn't always like WPA, it has something got to do with the Wireless HW in the computer conflicting with the OS, if you could find out the model of the Wireless card in the PC, you could get that companies individual Software for Wireless and it should work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Dilogoat

Yeah, it's fine unless someone REALLY REALLY wants to use your wireless Network, but in that case you can just add your PC mac address to the allow list and tell it to refuse all other MAC addresses trying to connect. You can get your MAC address by right clicking on your network connection wizard icon in the system tray (Bottom right) and clicking on status. It's in there somewhere.

WEP will be fine though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Just to let ya know ive always found zyxel routers to be a load of crap. I only use dd-wrt linksys routers. But in a strugle i would use netgear or dlink (524).

• Advertisement

I agree with Dilogoat on this one, use WEP and MAC filtering, then you'll have no problems.

I got it sorted..i just used WPA instead of WPA2 and its working fine. Funnily enough it was only XP that didnt want to connect. Ubuntu, Ps3 and N95 were all fine on WPA2. Yet another one of the reasons I hardly ever use windows:D. Thanks for the replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

mac filtering is very easily got around and wep is very unsecure, wpa with a decent passphrase would be the way to go

a wifi software driver update might have fixed the wpa2 problem depending on the wifi card you were using

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

bandit197 wrote: »
    I got it sorted..i just used WPA instead of WPA2 and its working fine. Funnily enough it was only XP that didnt want to connect. Ubuntu, Ps3 and N95 were all fine on WPA2. Yet another one of the reasons I hardly ever use windows:D. Thanks for the replies

its more likely your driver was not fully compatible with wpa2. Wpa and wpa2 are as stated already in this thread a pain in the hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

set the router to only assign 1 or 2 ip addresses. then attach the router ip addresses to the mac addresses of the computer's + laptop's that are on the network.
    this will stop anyone else connecting into the router as the mac address are unique to each computer.

Advertisement