Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fat People OverEating or genetic

• 11-02-2008 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

i was in town the weekend and there was a girl in the pub about 20 Stone
    people were looking at her and then someone slagged her and her mate heard them and went over saying she had a underactive thyroid and slow metabolic rate and stuff . Later on i hit burger king and there was the same girl with 2 whopper meals 2 large chips and onion rings stuffing her face

are people are using all these medical conditions as excuses to hide the fact that they are fat and its their own fault ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

In before lock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

19 stone here and it's all due to laziness and overeating.
    That medical stuff is a load of crap. Much like the food I and my fellow fatties eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Medical conditions my arse. They're fat cause they eat too much and have no self-discipline.

In before lock!
    Why would it be locked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

18 Stone here and I blame the genes.

The ton of food I shovel into myself daily can't seriously have anything to do with it... Must be the genes. Or the government!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Extraplus

roughan wrote: »
    are people are using all these medical conditions as excuses to hide the fact that they are fat and its their own fault ?

Mostly, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Terry wrote: »
    Why would it be locked?

'Cuz this subject appears in AH every month or two :confused:

Any ways, lazyness FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Err, medical conditions like Cushings Disease do contribute to weight gain.(the faulty gland issue)

It only affects a few hundred people in this country so the rest of the 'fattys'(99.9% of them) do eat too much, are lazy and have no excuse so agree in generalisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

25 stone here and I put it down to the Lizard people

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I blame method acting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just over 8 stone - but I blame the allergy to vodka and bread

star-pants wrote: »

I hope your a bird

Some people find it hard to lose weight with hypothyroidism.

Others carry injuries and can't exercise.

However I believe they are few and far between and overeating is the culprit in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I think it's mostly diet and lifestyle - but that doesn't mean people are lazy. I know lots of people who try really hard to lose weight but can't seem to shift it. A friend of mine is on a constant diet because whenever she deviates from this she piles on the weight.

Lots of people can eat whatever they want and not gain a pound. Everyone's different and it can be really hard to lose weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

i firmly believe that in the majority of cases (90%) , obesity has to do with laziness & overeating. I see this all around me at work, certain people eating at 11 am even though they had breakfast already and then junk food for lunch, and snacking on crisps & chocolates frequently during the day. There was this woman, my god she was the largest person i had ever known, 25 stone and 2 years ago she changed her diet and joined a gym. Now she's a completely different person at 12 stone. All she had to do was sort out her diet and do some regular exercise. If it really was a "medical/thyroid problem" then she'd still be 25 stone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I blame the immigrants.

star-pants wrote: »

Well all the more vodka sandwiches for me then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Creature wrote: »
    I blame the immigrants.

Nah, there's not much meat on the immigrants after you skin them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Loada me balls tbh... If you're predisposed to putting on weight easily, then be more selective with what you eat & do some exercise -- simple.

I have a bit of pudge on me and I put it down to no exercise and sh*t food.

the dee wrote: »
    Everyone's different and it can be really hard to lose weight.

people may find it hard to lose weight but thats just personal opinion, there no such thing as hard calories and easy calories to burn, you just burn calories it's the same for everybody

There's probably a strong element of family culture too.

If you were brought up in an active family, big into sports, outdoor pursuits and healthy eating there's a strong influence for you to take after them.
    Conversely, if your family are lazy slobs then psychologically you have to be quite independent to branch off away from that behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Just under 14 stone at the moment, gained a stone due to being lazy, stoned and not watching what I ate after I had an appendicitus at the end of September, for me it's pure lazyness. Started exercising again though on Saturday, and I've started to clean up my diet.

And I used to weigh sixteen and a half stone, and that was down to pure lazyness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

The vast majority of people who are fat are those who allow themselves be that way then use medical reasons as an excuse. "oh I'm retaining water" they'll say, you're feckin retaining mars bars ya fat bástard! You wanna loose weight? put the fork down tubby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

I think it's mostly diet and lifestyle - but that doesn't mean people are lazy. I know lots of people who try really hard to lose weight but can't seem to shift it. A friend of mine is on a constant diet because whenever she deviates from this she piles on the weight.

Lots of people can eat whatever they want and not gain a pound. Everyone's different and it can be really hard to lose weight.

By and large it does come down to overeating or a lack of excercise. But it's all too much when someone who's never had a problem with their weight regardless of their lifestyle starts lecturing others. While lazyness is a large part of the problem, that has it's own sources and problems. Just talk to the members of fitness about the importance of motivation, and how even to them being the fine specimens that they are is difficult in maintaining. Fact is that reducing and controling ones weight is a lifetime stuggle and not something that is found in a few months quick fix as advertised regularly in the popular media and social psyche.

Too many generalisations when it comes to these discussions, and while the use of medical causes as an excuse is a joke, the lack of serious consideration for the task is not a joke. Also, if your skinny and your diet is ****.....don't be too smug, you might be suffering the same effects (lazyness, lack of energy, depression, etc....) as the overweight.

There's probably a strong element of family culture too.

If you were brought up in an active family, big into sports, outdoor pursuits and healthy eating there's a strong influence for you to take after them.
    Conversely, if your family are lazy slobs then psychologically you have to be quite independent to branch off away from that behaviour.
    Woo. I'm independant.
    I come from a family of champon runners and boxers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Over-active saliva glands I reckon... Edit: in general, not a response to Terry's post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

women are fat because they eat like men

Men are fat because they eat like pigs

Being slim does not make people immune to disease. eat less move more

Terry wrote: »
    Woo. I'm independant.
    I come from a family of champon runners and boxers.

Were the runners trying to get away from the boxers ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I do believe that a person is genetically predisposed to be being overweight in the same way that some are able to eat what they want but never gain weight. But being genetically predisposed to weight gain doesn't mean it can't be prevented, you just have to be more careful with what you eat. Im sure there are a few people who do have problems with their weight and dieting doesn't really help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Lux23 wrote: »
    I do believe that a person is genetically predisposed to be being overweight in the same way that some are able to eat what they want but never gain weight. But being genetically predisposed to weight gain doesn't mean it can't be prevented, you just have to be more careful with what you eat. Im sure there are a few people who do have problems with their weight and dieting doesn't really help.

Bah freaking hum bug! :D

Sure, you might be predisposed to storing more fat than other people but the only way to do that is to eat more than you need.

All genetic predisposition determines is the NUMBER of fat stores a person is likely to have from a young age....and even then these can be forced to split and multiply over time.

It's the same as the whole "people who can eat whatever they want" thing. It's total rubbish. In my entire life i have never seen ONE of these people eat an amount of food that actually impressed me. It's always "oh i eat chips and chocolate and rubbish ALL the time" but then it turns out they eat one meal a day and thats it.

People are ****tards who will look to either one extreme or the other because they feel really unhappy about being in the middle.

Now......you get fat because you eat too much.....the reason your not getting fat is because your not.

Simple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

yer one looked like she ate the odd sweet all right..
    a 3 piece suite !!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Btw just like to point out I wasn't being smug about my weight, I had thought this was a jokey ish thread. (Being AH and all).

On a more serious view - I'm just over 8 stone but I'm not fit. I walk alot and do very light exercises (restricted by joint problems - this is fact). I'm ok but either average or below. I tend to snack (I don't mean on sweets etc I mean I pick at my food) throughout the day, this may keep my metabolism up. Also I'm not into big meals, I just can't eat them. I can't eat bread and items like that, because I can't digest them properly. I don't drink a lot, and I don't eat much meat, but I do like my fruit.
    I have a friend who can eat like a horse and not put a PICK on - but her dad and her brothers are like that too. (I mean mostly healthy eating but still, 3 meals a day and snacks etc, and maybe a daily walk).

Most cases are individual, you can have people that eat just the right amounts, and exercise a lot and still not get anywhere fast. I went travelling with a friend and ended up eating the way she did and boy did I put on weight fast. Some people might not be attacking it in the correct way, like over dieting and the second you stop your body puts the weight back on. You have to find what's right for your body.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Whole different ball game discussing weight here as opposed to the ladies lounge.

Whole different ball game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Dragan wrote: »
    Bah freaking hum bug! :D

Sure, you might be predisposed to storing more fat than other people but the only way to do that is to eat more than you need.

Is that not what I said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

its all down to dicipline and will power for most people.
    a girl i know has put on alot of weight lately entirely due to her diet...fast food at least 3-4 times a week.
    she tried a crash diet but only stuck it out for a day.
    in cases like this its lazyness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Archeron

Inside every fat person is a thin person trying to get out.

(Because they've just eaten one).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Portion size is peoples problem, most do not weigh foods, they might eyeball it. Say you aim for 2500kcal a day, if each meal you eyeball is just 5% more than it should be then you can expect to put on 1 stone of fat per year.
    It's the same as the whole "people who can eat whatever they want" thing. It's total rubbish. In my entire life i have never seen ONE of these people eat an amount of food that actually impressed me.
    Exactly. I know a runt of a lad who attacks food, so people think he eats a lot, but he eats maybe twice a day, and throws a lot out. That is another point, people tossing out food and eating off other peoples plates. I knew 2 girls in work who spewed the whole fast/slow metabolism saying they ate the same. Then you sit at lunch, one eats 70% of her food, the other eats 100+30% the other doesnt touch, so she is on nearly twice as many calories right there.

If you have a medical condition or are on certain medication that is slowing your metabolism then you simply have to adjust your calories accordingly. If you have a SUV and switch to a mini you do not put the same petrol in each week. People have far more cop-on about how much fuel to put in their cars, yet will put any auld crap in their bodies to fuel them, and be oblivious about how much they need.

Work it out here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50956807&postcount=4
    If you weigh your food and calculated EVERYTHING including drink, tea & sugar, and you still put on wieght then you could well have a fast metabolism, so adjust accordingly. You should really be pleased that your body is so efficient with its food, most view it negatively though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Baudelaire

MooseJam wrote: »
    I hope your a bird

An 8 stone bird is going to find it pretty hard to get off the ground so it'd better be a quick f*cking runner!

Sorry but all this "It's genetics/it's a medical condition" is a load of b*llox, if you don't want to be over weight then stop eating crap and do some excercise, it's not genetics it's chips, simple as!

Lux23 wrote: »
    Is that not what I said?

Sorry! Didn#t actually mean to quote anyone at all there....more of a general statement type dealy!

My bad! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

I know a girl i used to work with always said she had a medical condition and thats why she was 17 stone. Then her wedding was coming up and her husband to be and her went on a diet together. She kept stuffing her face and didn't lose a pound. It got to the point where he said it wasn't fair he'd worked so hard, she maintained it was medical. Her fella asked me did i notice was she eating any healthier ( i worked in the kitchen of the place we worked together.) I didnt want to stir sh*t so i said i didn't know. But i knew she hadn't changed her eating habits at all, double portions for dinner and 2 desserts etc. So he gave her an ultimatum to try harder or postpone the wedding (he'd found out she was still stuffing her face and not giving the diet a chance). She tried harder, exercised every day and ate healthily, the weight flew off her. She got married on the original date and looked really well. She even admitted that her medical reasons for being large were all lies, and that her over eating was the reason for it. i bumped into about a year ago, still had the weight off and looked amazing, seriously! (she used to be an utter swamp donkey, but she looked confident and happier in herself.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

there are many actual reports said that fat is in your gene!*especially for US citizens...*

but for many people i know(including meself),no matter how much they eat,they are still skinny like they do lots of exercise!(i prefer the term 'fit').

so i prefer the gene thingy...makes me proud of my blood!thanks ma!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

I think its both - I personally have underactive metabolism and had to work for YEARS to shift weight. My sisters are both petite and one eats like a horse. I know by the time she turns 40 her health will be dire.
    People who are overweight are fine until middle age when all the sympthoms will pop up eg diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure etc and will be too late to reverse years of bad habbits. My own father has high blood pressure from poor lifestyle and heart problems run in the family. By my healthy eating I am hoping to delay my genes, but under no illusion as it runs in the family.
    If a heavily overweight person wants to eat 2 double whoppers fine - but dont expect me to fork out my VAT on their ill health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's society's fault.

The same society which accepts no personal responsibility for anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

It works both ways I suppose. Up till about this time last year I used to shift an ungodly amount of food and could never put on weight. I used to eat twich as much as everyone else but still be underweight. Then all of a sudden my appetite just dissapeared, I was eating much less but I started putting on weight at the same time too, which was just crazy. I've kind of managed to balance it out now though.

The woman the OP was talking about is just a greedy pig though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Some people will be able to put on weight allot esier than others. I have a freind who eats steaks as a snack between meals. He does work hard on a building site and does the bare minimum with weights to get a build but no exercise as such. He is a figity person though. He says he has been eating like a horse trying to put on weight for the past few months but can't. For the first time in his life he has a bit of fat around his belly and he's actually proud of it.

At the end of the day though if your not putting in too much food then you can't get fat. Perhps you do have a medical condition or a slow metabolisim but that doesn't mean your not lazy and eating to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Chunks

she's fat becasue she's lazy and possibly un-educated about her food.

A lot of people grow up eating 3 square meals a day but those 3 meals could be all processed pre-packaged shite. In their eyes they're eating healthily where as they're actually piling in the calories.

People need to be educated about their food. What's good, what's bad, what to eat at certain times etc...

Ireland is becoming more and more lazy and uneducated, and as a direct result fatter, the more (supposedly)wealthy it becomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

I really like rubadub's comparison with car fuel economy and think it makes sense. Some cars are more fuel efficient than others, as are people. Also, their are things you can do to improve your 'fuel efficiency' e.g. muscle requires more calories to maintain and so more muscle mass=higher metabolism (simplified but the general gist).

I think some it takes some people years to understand this i.e. 'Why can x eat these things without putting on weight and I can't?' or even think they have a God given right to eat the same crap as x can. So they eat and the weight piles on and they blame genetics.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Some people will be able to put on weight allot esier than others. I have a freind who eats steaks as a snack between meals.
    I have steaks for breakfast sometimes, and can put away 1 or 2 chickens a day. But they are low in calories! Many people are ignorant of the calorific values of food and since they do not wiegh it they have no idea how much they are eating.

A single normal pack of mcdonalds supernoodles has the same calories as about 3-4 stirfried chicken fillets. A lot of burger buns have more calories than the burger in them. I know lads in work who reckon they were "watching their weight", yet sitting down to lunches of 1000+kcal. Since they had noodles, brown bread and fruit they though it was OK.

I weighed up and calculated the calories in the takeaway I used to get, more calories than I should eat in a day. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055209321

If you have 2 twins and one eats 5% under the 2500kcal RDA and the other eats 5% more than that, then you can expect one to be 1 stone more in a year, and the other 1 stone less. That is like one eating a 210g steak and the other a 190g, a very slight difference.

Your metabolism slows with age too, many ignore this.
    muscle requires more calories to maintain and so more muscle mass=higher metabolism (simplified but the general gist).
    Building muscle is a fantastic way to lose fat. Check out my sig for stuff you can make to do it with just bodyweight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I have either a fast metabolism or a tapeworm, not sure which yet. Net outcome is I eat and eat, and stay fairly svelte for my height :)

beans wrote: »
    I have either a fast metabolism or a tapeworm, not sure which yet. Net outcome is I eat and eat, and stay fairly svelte for my height :)

Out of interest, what do you eat over the course of a normal day?

beans wrote: »
    I have either a fast metabolism or a tapeworm,
    More likely a crooked scales, think that is most peoples problem, well no scales at all really.

And no point listing "I eat a sandwich", I see lads in work with 1200+kcal sambos, and girls with 200kcal ones.

And if medication or disease really did slow metabolism to the degree some people claim then they would be introducing "disease" vaccinations or the medication to famine stricken regions, because by what some people claim they are defying the laws of physics. More likely getting so pissed they forgot about the 3 kebabs on the way home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement