Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fat People OverEating or genetic

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Wibbs wrote: »
    I would very rarely eat pasta or bread. Can't stand either and I've never eaten a chinese takeaway in my life.
    Can't stand bread or pasta?! Ok, you're a robot :). I presume you hate booze and sex too... ;) (jealous of your ability to not eat bread and pasta? Moi?)
    Reminds me of Homer to Mindy: "But you know what I hate? Drinking beer and watching TV..."
    Oh bread and pasta are almost orgasmic experiences for me - my true food weaknesses. Unfortunately my weak spot for fat storage is my stomach (damn diabetes risks!) so not much bread or pasta for me... :(
    The one thing I have noticed is that some of the fat ones don't eat that much now, but ate a lot a few years back, built up the weight and now eat pretty normally. It seems easy enough to maintain the fat on a fairly normal diet.
    They'll lose it eventually. And if they don't, well they're probably loading up on crap in the evenings, and not exercising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

Chunks wrote: »
    walking into my building today and I get stuck behind a massive monster of a fat bitch (you know the kind, waddling along, blocking other people coming from behind, sweating profusely...).
    Ouch with the judgement like, a bit of venom coming across there

Not skinny but not exactly obese either. As i have worked on my eating habits over the last year and observed others and i have come to a few different conclusions.

People who are naturally skinny do have different eating habits to those who struggle with their weight, sometimes the differences are glaringly obvious and sometimes they are more subtle but they do exist.

When my eating habits are going well my mindset towards food does change and as a result i actually do eat a lot better with significant ease. This is also influenced by what i am eating, the addition of sugary snacks et al to my diet really does change by behaviour towards food and in general my eating habits. So for me I am just better not going there. Its not anything to do with being lazy or undisciplined and alot more to do with the fact that sugary snacks have a negative impact on my eating habits.

Some good posts by rubadub as per usual and whilst i do understand if your on medication the answer really is just to eat less to keep your weight done at the same time having known people who have taken medicinal steroids and gained weight as a result something to do with always feeling hungry, I would ask the question that if that is the case and you are almost always hungry then is it really reasonable to expect people to go around in a sense of pernament hunger. Since are bodies are programmed hunger-->eat and it is a survival mechanism not the easiest thing in the world to over-ride. Now i know you can eat more food but eat the same amount of kcals etc if you make good choices, but is it really a valid answer well jsut eat less then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Dudess wrote: »
    I presume you hate booze and sex too... ;)

How would you even make that association? Oh, I forgot, you're a woman. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Chunks

ali.c wrote: »
    Ouch with the judgement like, a bit of venom coming across there

Looking at her and having to smell her BO offended me. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Can't stand bread or pasta?! Ok, you're a robot :). I presume you hate booze and sex too... ;) (jealous of your ability to not eat bread and pasta? Moi?)
    Reminds me of Homer to Mindy: "But you know what I hate? Drinking beer and watching TV..."
    Oh bread and pasta are almost orgasmic experiences for me - my true food weaknesses. Unfortunately my weak spot for fat storage is my stomach (damn diabetes risks!) so not much bread or pasta for me... :(
    I just find pasta stodgy and bleh TBH. I would have been well in my 20's before I even tried it. I find bread very salty. A mate of mine didn't see that, until she stopped eating bread for a few months on one of her fad diets. She saw my point the next time she tasted it(she lost shtloads of weight just by cutting out bread). I can't abide pizza either or most sauces and the only way I'll drink milk is in a cup of tea. If I had to drink a pint of it I reckon I would gag. It's so greasy to my palate. That and the fact that in my entire life I've only ever eaten one burger. So all of that does make me weird I suppose. No suppose about it really. :D

I like food plain, veggies, fruit and meat. Lots of meat. Fish, chicken and the red stuff. Can't get enough of it. I simply could not be a vegetarian. The only cereals I eat would be porridge. Oh yea and I can't get enough of chocolate.

PS I looooove beer and sex goes without saying. No problem with eating in that arena......;)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I dislike the following:

bread
    beer
    Pasta (eat it very occasionally)

sex long story. I feel no desire for it TBH.

With RE to breakfast and my sister I wasn't being sarcastic.

I heard that it helped you lost weight and all that. Was just wondering about it.

Just leave my ma out of things eh Hydroquinone?

I must say I hang out with a bunch of girls who watch EVERYTHING they eat. I'd say they don't even consume 1,500 calories a day each. Great figures inevitably - if not that curvy. But at the weekends you should see them NECKING the bottles of beer! And not even light beer - they nearly all just drink Corona. They're all in their late 20s and not even a hint of a beer gut between them. I suppose maybe the discipline all week compensates for the excess cals in the Saturday night (and often Friday night too) high beer consumption.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I would very rarely eat pasta or bread. Can't stand either and I've never eaten a chinese takeaway in my life.
    I can undersand the pasta and the Chinese, but bread?
    My god man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I have a confesion tom make... i really dislike fat people. I can understand if they have a medical condition, but when i see thewm i jut see a glutonous person.
    Put on a bit of a belly when i was in oz from junk and beer, as soon as i got home people started to menton it to me that i had filled out in the face and my mates who know my aversion to fattys started to sya that all my slagging was comin back to bite my in the arse.
    I started exercising, cut out white bread and i feel a hell of a lot healthier even if i still have a pot belly its going away. From what people have posted pasta seems a weakness but i think it is rubbery thank fully so never eat it.
    I'm gonna get stick over this but an awful lot of irish girls once the get out of their teens nad into their mid twentys start to let them selves get 'soft'. While they wouldnt be told by their doctor to lose weight they would to my messed up mind be overweight and would lose their attractivness
    *bracing myself for the abuse*

I think other posters will probably take exception the fact that you say you "dislike" fat people. While you may dislike their lifestyle and the look of excess flab, they haven't really done anything to make you dislike them as a person. Why would you take their poor lifestyle choices personally?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I think other posters will probably take exception the fact that you say you "dislike" fat people. While you may dislike their lifestyle and the look of excess flab, they haven't really done anything to make you dislike them as a person. Why would you take their poor lifestyle choices personally?
    Your right of course, and thats prob what i should have said:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I think other posters will probably take exception the fact that you say you "dislike" fat people.

i dont.
    fatties for teh loose.

But they might be a beautiful person on the inside...? :(

so what?
    its not a discussion about personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I dislike the following:

bread
    beer

sex long story. I feel no desire for it TBH.

With RE to breakfast and my sister I wasn't being sarcastic.

I heard that it helped you lost weight and all that. Was just wondering about it.

Just leave my ma out of things eh Hydroquinone?
    touchy subject, but if you have a problem with a post, just report it and one of the mods will deal with it.
    In fairness to (I'm not even gonna try to spell that), he didn't reference your mother in particular.

As for the losing weight thing, WhiteWashMan covered that earlier with the post about burning up energy reserves.
    I thought that was common knowledge.

slideways wrote: »
    I have a confesion tom make... i really dislike fat people. I can understand if they have a medical condition, but when i see thewm i jut see a glutonous person.
    Put on a bit of a belly when i was in oz from junk and beer, as soon as i got home people started to menton it to me that i had filled out in the face and my mates who know my aversion to fattys started to sya that all my slagging was comin back to bite my in the arse.
    I started exercising, cut out white bread and i feel a hell of a lot healthier even if i still have a pot belly its going away. From what people have posted pasta seems a weakness but i think it is rubbery thank fully so never eat it.
    I'm gonna get stick over this but an awful lot of irish girls once the get out of their teens nad into their mid twentys start to let them selves get 'soft'. While they wouldnt be told by their doctor to lose weight they would to my messed up mind be overweight and would lose their attractivness
    *bracing myself for the abuse*

No abuse here.
    Slagging fat people came back and bit me in (my now really fat) arse.

I was really skinny as a kid. Right up until my early 20's (except for a pudgy stage when I was 12).
    I'm 6'2" and was about 9 stone until I was about 21/22.
    I'm now 32 and 19 stone.
    The guy I used to take the piss out of is one of those people who was always pudgy. He''s still big now, but it's mostly muscle.
    Luckily enough, he's a friend now and didn't hold a grudge. :)

heheheh, fatty :)

No response yet. Think you hurted his feelings... :(

Terry wrote: »
    touchy subject, but if you have a problem with a post, just report it and one of the mods will deal with it.
    In fairness to (I'm not even gonna try to spell that), he didn't reference your mother in particular.

Nah I didn't feel the need to report it as I know he wasn't trying to be offensive or anything.

My post was more along the lines of "I know you didn't mean it that way but keep things clean mate, eh?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I dislike the following:

bread
    beer
    hmm Wibbs was saying similar. Perhaps you have an allergy to wheat, which seems to be common. You might have had a bad reaction when you were younger, might not even remember and subconciously do not like it because of that, like how some people dislike certain alcohols due to bad hangovers!

I like the taste of bread, and pasta/noodles but do not like to eat them anymore, i.e. I would sooner get my calories elsewhere, e.g. a burger bun has around the same calories as the burger meat, I would sooner have 2 quarter pounder and use iceberg lettuce as "a bun" on each than have a single burger & bun. Noodles have load of calories, I would sooner have another 3 chicken fillets, which is the same calories as a pack of supernoodles.
    I must say I hang out with a bunch of girls who watch EVERYTHING they eat. I'd say they don't even consume 1,500 calories a day each. Great figures inevitably - if not that curvy. But at the weekends you should see them NECKING the bottles of beer! And not even light beer - they nearly all just drink Corona.
    Well lite beers usually have all the sugars brewed out, but they can be higher in calories per unit alcohol than strong beers. e.g. a pint of coors lite might be 4.3% and 200kcal, but a strong german 8.6% pint might have 350kcal. You drink half as much to get the same effect, and take in less calories. Diet mixers actually speed up your rate of absorption. The most low cal way to get to a certain blood alcohol level is to drink diet mixers with unsweetened spirits, quickly and on an empty stomach. Or get one of these www.awolmachine.com :D

I was posting in the fitness forum saying I drink a lot and people were in disbelief, since in the last month I lost around 2-3lb while drinking around 25pints per week (and never going hungry once). Alcohol calories are overestimated IMO, I always knew this anecdotaly, but studies show it too. Calories are basically a measure of the amount of energy released when a substance is burned. Alcohol and petrol are good fuels, but will not necessarily make you as fat as eating chips with the same calorific value. I think most put on weight drinking due to visiting the chipper afterwards

http://www.scientificsocieties.org/JIB/papers/2005/G-2005-0920-295.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

Nah I didn't feel the need to report it as I know he wasn't trying to be offensive or anything.

My post was more along the lines of "I know you didn't mean it that way but keep things clean mate, eh?"

I'm glad you didn't take offense, because I certainly meant none.
    No harm done, then. Good stuff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

rubadub wrote: »
    hmm Wibbs was saying similar. Perhaps you have an allergy to wheat, which seems to be common.
    Good point. I have a few members of my family that are chronic diagnosed coeliacs so that may explain it. Even as a kid the only way I would eat bread was as toast and it would have to be lathered in butter.

I take your point about alcohol making you fat. Never really bought as an idea. Every dipso I know is skinny. I would note that it does affect insulin levels and it affects those levels differently in different people. If I'm on the lash, I wouldn't be particularly hungry at the end of the night, whereas the fatties I know would be ravenous. If I do get hungry it would be for meat, rather than carbs in general. Case in point tonight. Just in from the pub. A few ales taken. Not a lot of food earlier. Hit fridge and fry up a small hunk of steak. Yum. :D The thoughts of having a pizza or a chinners would have me upchucking. Maybe that's the diff and why I've never put on weight.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You can wean yourself of carbs and run mostly on protien, steak ftw sometimes even raw.

A lot of eating that people do is comfort/distraction eating and if they are not dealing with the issue causing the big emotional void then no matter how much they eat they will not fill it.

It's pretty unusual all right not to crave refined carbs after a night on the sauce, but then if you barely consume stodge anyway - and don't especially like it - why would you crave it?

White bread majorly bloats me and gives me dreadful sinusitis, as well as making me very tired and sluggish. I find wholegrain bread - especially McCambridge (which is yeast-free) excellent. Ever since I made the link with white bread and sinusitis I've majorly cut down, and on the rare occasion that I treat myself to some white bread I actually don't get the allergic reactions.

I heard a nutritionist on Radio 1 recently saying: "If you were stranded on a desert island for six months and you had zero protein, you would die; if you were stranded on a desert island for six months and you had zero fats, you would die; if you were stranded on a desert island for six months and had zero carbs but enough of the above, you would be absolutely fine."

Although surely the lack of carbs, while not killing you, would cause severe health problems, no? E.g. very bad constipation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Thaedydal wrote: »
    You can wean yourself of crabs
    Yeah there's a great cream for that available in the chemist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Pttsch, genetic shmenetic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Africans have better genes than all of us; iirc, everything from blonde hair to white skin is a genetic mutation that deviated away from the black pigment. Much in the same way, Ginger folk (redheads) are a dying genetic trait.

I wouldn't be too surprised if a lot of it was genetic: we have no natural predators, hence natural selection as we know it no longer has any evolutionary effect. Evolution is about survival of the species in order to procreate - now we're leading longer lives and having children that live longer as well, and overpopulation is occuring.

So frankly I am not too surprised that evolution is catching up with us in the form of genetic mutation, and super bacteria: while our evolution has slowed down, bacteria has continued or sped up to combat our immune systems and to survive in harsher conditions brought on by our pollutants. Right now diseases and bugs and plagues are about the only thing in nature that we have to fear and they have incredibly short lifespans and reproduction cycles, and hence their rate of evolution is staggering - going well past ours.

Maybe we should just have the Spartan take on it - kill all the sickly infants and such. Tween the gene pool a bit. I don't believe in God or anything, but concepts like artificial insemination to help 2 incompatible adults conceive a child, is a bit wrong: if you cant procreate than your genes are incompatible.

Or maybe we should just forgo evolution altogether and alter our infants at the genetic level to make them stronger, faster and smarter.

....eh, I guss thats rant over 0.o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Although surely the lack of carbs, while not killing you, would cause severe health problems, no? E.g. very bad constipation?

I don't know, look at Atkins. Yes it's faddy, yes if you don't have enough to drink and allow yourself to get dehydrated you can die, and dehydration seems to happen more easily while on it, but it seems to work for some people. Different strokes for different folks.

I find that cutting dairy, wheat, sugar and soya from my diet makes the pounds drop off, but I get chest infections, dreadful crampy periods, ear infections, and although I have more energy I'm regularly on antibiotics.

rubadub wrote: »
    hmm Wibbs was saying similar. Perhaps you have an allergy to wheat, which seems to be common. You might have had a bad reaction when you were younger, might not even remember and subconciously do not like it because of that, like how some people dislike certain alcohols due to bad hangovers!

Nah, not allergic to wheat, I can eat them and suffer no ill effects, I just find the taste too starchy and stodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Overheal wrote: »
    Africans have better genes than all of us;
    Better how? Mutation does not necessarily = bad.
    Overheal wrote:
    I wouldn't be too surprised if a lot of it was genetic: we have no natural predators, hence natural selection as we know it no longer has any evolutionary effect.
    Metabolic variation has little or nothing to do with predation. I'm not sure where you're going with that?
    Overheal wrote:
    Evolution is about survival of the species in order to procreate - now we're leading longer lives and having children that live longer as well, and overpopulation is occuring.
    Again, where does the link with genetically induced obesity come into it?
    Overheal wrote:
    So frankly I am not too surprised that evolution is catching up with us in the form of genetic mutation, and super bacteria: while our evolution has slowed down, bacteria has continued or sped up to combat our immune systems and to survive in harsher conditions brought on by our pollutants. Right now diseases and bugs and plagues are about the only thing in nature that we have to fear and they have incredibly short lifespans and reproduction cycles, and hence their rate of evolution is staggering - going well past ours.
    Who says our evolutionary rates are slowing down? If anything it's speeding up: the rate of generation of positively selected genes has increased as much as a hundredfold during the past 40,000 years. And in the last 20,000 to 30,000 years, brain size in particular has shown most change - our brains are getting smaller, although this doesn't mean a diminishment in intelligence.

The rise in obesity has been a 20th Century and beyond phenomenon. Can we really put 100 years' woth of change down to evolution? Sure there's selection pressure, but if anything selection will favour the not obese individuals. Obesity creates fertility and reproductive problems as well as good ol' fashioned attractiveness diminishement, so if anything obese folk will find it harder to reproduce, not contribute more bouncy, big-boned babies to the world?

Overheal wrote: »
    Africans have better genes than all of us;
    Very simplified and pretty much wrong. In the same way we don't have better genes than Africans. We both have genes adapted to local environments.
    iirc, everything from blonde hair to white skin is a genetic mutation that deviated away from the black pigment.
    With good reason to do so. Black skin at these latitudes is a major disadvantage. Having built in sunblock at the equator is good, having it in Ireland is bad. It reduces the amount of Vit d from sunlight, hence the much higher incidence of rickets among peoples with darker skin. The reverse is of course true too with a much higher rate of skin cancer among white australians when compared to the native very dark people. Horses for courses really. Our ability to travel, which is a defining trait in humanity also exposes us to environments we're not suited for.
    Much in the same way, Ginger folk (redheads) are a dying genetic trait.
    One notion has it that the gene for red hair and indeed white skin comes from Neandertals. Neandertals lived and prospered in Europe for the guts of 200,000 years, so not exactly weaklings.
    I wouldn't be too surprised if a lot of it was genetic: we have no natural predators, hence natural selection as we know it no longer has any evolutionary effect. Evolution is about survival of the species in order to procreate - now we're leading longer lives and having children that live longer as well, and overpopulation is occuring.
    Natural selection is till at work, though as you say to a lesser extent. It's also still at work in maybe different more subtle ways.
    their rate of evolution is staggering - going well past ours.
    It always was though.
    Maybe we should just have the Spartan take on it - kill all the sickly infants and such. Tween the gene pool a bit. I don't believe in God or anything, but concepts like artificial insemination to help 2 incompatible adults conceive a child, is a bit wrong: if you cant procreate than your genes are incompatible.
    Only in some cases, though I do think more than we think, as I can think of two couples who had trouble conceiving and they split up from the pressure and went on to have kids very easily with other partners. In most of those cases the genes have little to do with it.

I did note with interest a previous thread here. I think it was entitled "what would have killed you" or something like that. It was all about how many posters would be dead already if they didn't have access to modern medicine. It really shocked me. There was only one or two people across several pages who would still be alive without modern medicine. Given that most here would be young that made sobering reading. I do notice with people younger than me how so many of them have asthma or other chronic illnesses that were much rarer when I was younger. It made me feel grateful and lucky that I don't have any of that. Never even had an antibiotic in my life and the only immunisation I ever had was for polio. Never had strep throat(whatever the hell that is) or cold sores or any of that. While the spartan idea is a road too far, maybe we do need a bit of strengthening up. As a kid I had mumps, measles(both kinds) chicken pox and god knows what else and maybe that helped. I do think too many people now get to adulthood without their immune muscles being flexed. Stick a pill down your neck and it all goes away. Except it doesn't, hence we have superbugs due to the amount of dopey GPs in the country over prescribing antibiotics. The same could be said for mental health too. Too many dosed up when they may not need to be and another section needing the help and not getting it.
    Or maybe we should just forgo evolution altogether and alter our infants at the genetic level to make them stronger, faster and smarter.
    Yea well that's the problem with eugenics. How do you define better?
    ....eh, I guss thats rant over 0.o
    Nah, that's not a rant, this is a rant.:D

• Advertisement

Actually I found quite the opposite. I did an atkins kind of diet for a while, only I was picking my protein sources with care. It wasn't fryups day in day out. Constipation was not an issue. Quite the reverse. I've never been so regular and I would be anyway. In fact when I introduced more veggies back into the mix, I was fine, but when I introduced grains then I got constipation. From an evolutionary standpoint we're not "designed" to eat grains. Grains are a relatively recent addition to our food palate. Hunter gatherers eat little if any as it requires farming and technology to process them.

Soya is another one that's fashionable at the moment. The way people in the east consume it is quite different to how we do. Soya milk in particular is a disaster. It's loaded with pseudo oestregens for a start. Not good. It's cheap to produce so of course it'll be pushed. Same with cheap vegetable oils. With the exception of olive, coconut and a couple of others the rest are not good for you. Trans fats from those veggie oils in so many foods(inc bread) are way worse for you than animal fats. Fat and animal fat in particular has gotten very bad press over the last few years. Hi glycemic carbs are much worse for the human body. We evolved to eat animal fats proteins, nuts, some seeds, fruit and veg. We did not evolve to eat the quantities of veggie fats we do and we certainly didn't evolve to eat the amount of sugars and carbs that we do.

One indicator is when they find the bodies of hunter gatherers in Europe and compare them to the bodies of the farmers that followed. The farmers are smaller, less robust with much lower bone densities and bad teeth.

Blush_01 wrote:
    I find that cutting dairy, wheat, sugar and soya from my diet makes the pounds drop off, but I get chest infections, dreadful crampy periods, ear infections, and although I have more energy I'm regularly on antibiotics.
    Maybe keep the dairy and increase your intake of other foods to get a more balanced range of foods. Being regularly on antibiotics is not good. Not good at all. I would look into finding out how to change that. The problem thous is you body has gotten used to the help with infections now. Not an easy one to change I would imagine.

So is fibre not the essential we would be led to believe it is?
    g'em wrote: »
    The rise in obesity has been a 20th Century and beyond phenomenon.
    The age of processed junk becoming available in abundance - yet people are STILL blaming genetics! :confused:

I think it is, but not from grains. I mean every add is wheatgerm this and wheatgerm that. It's cheap to produce and makes a good profit. Get your fibre from veggies and fruit. Much better bet. Meat itself isn't bad it's the amount of processed meat we eat and the kinds of meat we eat. Your Eskimo types are pure carnivores and on a native diet have none of the problems we see in the west. Zip. Nada. No diabetes or obesity or indeed heart disease and stroke. The generations that took up the western diet are in bits by comparison to their grandparents. Those native diets eat most of the animal and have a very high fish content. They eat whale blubber for gods sake and that's pure saturated fat which would make a dietician have a heart attack just reading that. Now because of the climate they need all those calories and here in ireland we would be in trouble on the same diet. With our sedentary lives we should be eating far less and better quality not more and less quality.
    The age of processed junk becoming available in abundance - yet people are STILL blaming genetics! :confused:
    Yea it's utter crap. If it was genetics, then our grandparents, never mind our great grandparents would be fatties. Guess what? They weren't.

Fibre is more plentiful in unprocessed vegetables than grain sources, so a starchy-carb-free existence should still avoid the constipation issue. I have personal reservations about it, but that's more of an "in my case..." scenario.
    Dudess wrote:
    You can argue that genetics are at fault, but only because genetically we're not equipped to deal with being bombarded with sugar all-day, every day with our so-called modern day diets.

I was arguing this on another thread - the idea that the diets of our grandparent's generation were superior to ours (with it's lack of junk) is a little silly becuase as well as being junk-free they were also quite limited and dependent on seasonality and climate-appropriate food - avocadoes for example are 'normal' food for us and provide a great source of Vit K, fibre, potassium and unsaturated fats, but 40 years ago they were unheard of in Ireland. The simple fact is that nowadays we have a much wider variety of healthy food AND junk foods to avail from, but through sheer laziness many people opt to indulge in the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'm big because of what I eat ... nothing genetic about it. However I like being a bit big and no thats not somethign I have convinced myself of just so I dont have to try lose weight. I do plan to lose a abit but I think a bit of "chunk" suits my look.

I am a sexy beast!

Sexy beast or no sexy beast, you shouldn't be here - get out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

avocadoes for example are 'normal' food for us and provide a great source of Vit K, fibre, potassium and unsaturated fats, but 40 years ago they were unheard of in Ireland.
    Did you know that the word Avocado is derived from an ancient Mexican word meaning "Man's Testicle"?

Well you do now!!!

Sexy beast or no sexy beast, you shouldn't be here - get out!

Dyd j00 knot noses? I haz feyl'd! :(

BaZmO* wrote: »
    "Man's Testicle
    An excellent source of protein I bet.

6th wrote: »
    Dyd j00 knot noses? I haz feyl'd! :(
    Not on my watch - out!

• Advertisement

You can argue that genetics are at fault, but only because genetically we're not equipped to deal with being bombarded with sugar all-day, every day with our so-called modern day diets.
    Exactly.
    I was arguing this on another thread - the idea that the diets of our grandparent's generation were superior to ours (with it's lack of junk) is a little silly becuase as well as being junk-free they were also quite limited and dependent on seasonality and climate-appropriate food - avocadoes for example are 'normal' food for us and provide a great source of Vit K, fibre, potassium and unsaturated fats, but 40 years ago they were unheard of in Ireland.
    Yes but these new foods may bring problems of their own. Populations have different tolerances for food. Milk is a good example. People from india are more likely to have lactose intolerance than westerners as they have not consumed it for religious cultural reasons. Alcohol is another example where asians are more likely to be intolerant to it as they made tea to sterilise water, where we made beer(yay us:)). In Ireland's case we have among the highest levels of coeliac disease in the world. The theory being that we got our starches from potatoes for enough time, that we became intolerant to the gluten in various grains. In one generation in this country we have expanded our dietary choices massively as you say. Is it not possible that some of these new foods, outside their normal range would not be as healthy as first appear. Soya is a good example. Asians have eaten soya for over 2000 years. The soya bean itself is poisonous and has to be processed by fermenting to remove the toxins. In the east soya is more a condiment than a food, yet in the west we drink soya "milk" and soya is added as a bulking agent to many foods. Given it's hormonal effects in the body, this "health" food may be decidedly unhealthy in a population not used to it and eating it in higher quantities and in different forms. Yet every hippy I know thinks soya is the be all and end all, yet thinks milk is the devils sweat. It's complex stuff.
    The simple fact is that nowadays we have a much wider variety of healthy food AND junk foods to avail from, but through sheer laziness many people opt to indulge in the latter.
    I agree with you here. If that wasn't bad enough they're eating much more than they need to boot.

An excellent source of protein I bet.
    And the product of same is an excellent source of zinc apparently.....

Zinc you say? What good stuff does that do?

But I iz a fatteh!

Zinc is great for guys what do want to make da babehs!

Zinc you say? What good stuff does that do?

Promotes a healthy immune system, healthy skin, more stabilised moods, increased Test production (indeed 6th ;) ), boosts brain function, heightens smell and taste functions...

Still not a good enough reason to swallow it en masse though :p

Promotes a healthy immune system, healthy skin, more stabilised moods, increased Test production (indeed 6th ;) ), boosts brain function, heightens smell and taste functions...
    I must use that reason in the future. Minus the latter part of course. I'll say it was good advice from a dietary knowledgeable source.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I must use that reason in the future. Minus the latter part of course. I'll say it was good advice from a dietary knowledgeable source.

It's also been linked to PMS treatment. However, approaching a woman with this as good reasoning as to why she should give head when she's in the throes of pre-menstrual turmoil would make you all at once the coolest and most stupid man to have ever walked the earth :D

roughan wrote: »
    i was in town the weekend and there was a girl in the pub about 20 Stone
    people were looking at her and then someone slagged her and her mate heard them and went over saying she had a underactive thyroid and slow metabolic rate and stuff . Later on i hit burger king and there was the same girl with 2 whopper meals 2 large chips and onion rings stuffing her face

are people are using all these medical conditions as excuses to hide the fact that they are fat and its their own fault ?

if she knew she had a slow metabolism then she'd just eat less

as for dairy, im mildly lactose intolerant and i cant stand alcohol so yeah... i do eat a lot of bread though
    and chocolate >>

it's all good as long as people just exercise more im sure

• Advertisement

and the deadest.....:D

Advertisement