Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti trade union?

Options
  • 11-02-2008 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Is an one aware of any organisatioor public figure who is openly antitrade union?,

As in would argue that they are obsolete or deconstructive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

axeswithnames.gif

Take this site with a grain of salt. Roughly though market forces people tend to be against trade unions (Friedman and Thatcher).
    Trade unions prevent an employer taking to much advantage of a worker. This makes a lot of sense when the worker cannot go out and get another job or set up their own company. So roughly in industries with huge capital costs trade unions seem to make sense because normal competition is difficult (IMHO).

""The president of the National Education Association was once asked when his union was going to do something about students. He replied that when the students became members of the union, the union would take care of them. And that was a correct answer. Why? His responsibility as president of the NEA was to serve the members of his union, not to serve public purposes. I give him credit: The trade union has been very effective in serving its members. However, in the process, they've destroyed American education." MILTON FRIEDMAN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Is an one aware of any organisatioor public figure who is openly antitrade union?
    Michael O'Leary.

I had a discussion about trade unionism before at a Labour meeting, saying that, while I'm all for Unions, they've derrogated their responsibilities to wider society. For example, Dublin Bus drivers taking actions to suit themselves, but undermine the common good.

Companies are equally guilty of this, though. Take RTE and Eircom's obstruction of the development of a hi-tech cable network in Ireland. Or companies operating price-fixing cartels.

Advertisement