Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Carbon fibre fabric

Options
  • 11-02-2008 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Any body know where I can get carbon fibre fabric in dublin - Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Chonker wrote: »
    Any body know where I can get carbon fibre fabric in dublin - Ireland.

Halfords has some fibreglass cloth but that stuff aint as good as the carbon fibre. What exactly you using it for can I ask because you may be fine using fibreglass?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

No I dont want fibre glass, I'm looking for the twill overlay. I picked some up in london a while ago and did some parts on my car, I need some more now and I would rather pick itup asap, dont want to wait for an order online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Try, Kemacraft in Clane, Great Outdoors In Dublin City, ask for the Canoe dept or Rough Stuff / Canoe Centre in Plamerstown. If you are repairing a Carbon fibre part, you need to know if the part was built using epoxy resins or polyester resin. Epoxy will not stick to polyester. Be warned, I know from experience, fixing any carbon fibre part is not an easy job and should only be done if you have an idea of what you are doing. If the repair will not be seen, i.e. under a bonnett, try using Kevlar Carbon, this will give a better repair and can be easy to use than carbon on it's own.

Thanks for that. Will try those guys.

Try, Kemacraft in Clane, Great Outdoors In Dublin City, ask for the Canoe dept or Rough Stuff / Canoe Centre in Plamerstown. If you are repairing a Carbon fibre part, you need to know if the part was built using epoxy resins or polyester resin. Epoxy will not stick to polyester. Be warned, I know from experience, fixing any carbon fibre part is not an easy job and should only be done if you have an idea of what you are doing. If the repair will not be seen, i.e. under a bonnett, try using Kevlar Carbon, this will give a better repair and can be easy to use than carbon on it's own.

Good info there, if you hav a choice between the two resins go with the epoxy resin will last longer and is better than the polyester resin.

I use this crowd here, they deal with marine applications, they deal with mostly fibreglass but will get you anything you need, they are very nice. Ask for Liam, he is the boss and very pleasant to deal with. He got me stuff that wasnt on their product list at all. Anything you need they will source it. The stuff is good quality too.

Also check out tygavac in the UK, link here

OP, Do you have much background in composites? I would be interested to see the results.

• Advertisement

chris85 wrote: »
    Good info there, if you hav a choice between the two resins go with the epoxy resin will last longer and is better than the polyester resin.

I use this crowd here, they deal with marine applications, they deal with mostly fibreglass but will get you anything you need, they are very nice. Ask for Liam, he is the boss and very pleasant to deal with. He got me stuff that wasnt on their product list at all. Anything you need they will source it. The stuff is good quality too.

Also check out tygavac in the UK, link here

OP, Do you have much background in composites? I would be interested to see the results.

Many years of trial and error. I will get some pics up of the latest bits. Bit of prep time and a lot of sanding is all it takes.

Chonker wrote: »
    Many years of trial and error. I will get some pics up of the latest bits. Bit of prep time and a lot of sanding is all it takes.

Yup thats it, lots and lots of prep. Do post pics.

BTW, if you the part is more critical in that it will bear a load or anything like that you could try vacuum moulding the part. It will produce a higher quality component. Can be cheap enough if you go at it the right way. The guys at www.mid.ie should be able to get you the stuff to do it, as they got me the same stuff last month

Check this link which shows a guy who used this process for panels on his motorcycle. He done it nice and on the cheap. The results look good.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/carbon-fiber-motorcycle-parts/

Advertisement