Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What automatics are on the Market?

Options
  • 11-02-2008 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

I am looking for anything on the automatic that comes with a proper automatic gearbox (i.e. one that doesn't roll back on an incline like Toyota's MMT) in about the 30k region, NEW.

It also must have a little bit of guts..... I drive a new shape 1.4 D4D corolla at the moment, which is quite brisk - so I want something similarly brisk.

cheers,

Matt

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

matsil wrote: »
    I am looking for anything on the automatic that comes with a proper automatic gearbox (i.e. one that doesn't roll back on an incline like Toyota's MMT) in about the 30k region, NEW.

It also must have a little bit of guts..... I drive a new shape 1.4 D4D corolla at the moment, which is quite brisk - so I want something similarly brisk.

cheers,

Matt

accord auto type S?? nice and fast, 155bhp!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Any petrol auto less than 1.6/1.8 is going to be/feel sluggish (less torque) compared with a diesel equivalent. So if you wanted a petrol engined car then look nearer the 2.0L mark. Or may be a Honda Civic 1.8 saloon. I would say the new 1500cc petrol Mitsubishi Lancer might be a bit weedy.

Diesel and auto are limited enough so I would say if VW's bore you (Golf - yawn) then may be a Seat Leon 2.0TDI Tiptronic or a Skoda Octavia 2.0TDI DSG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭matsil

What-car : yes the accord would be nice, but with the impending release of a new accord I would not be inclined to go for the accord.

TomMc - I totally agree with you RE comments abotu smaller petrols - having driving my diesel I swore I would never go back to petrol, but there is just such little choice on the market for automatics unless you go to BMW / Mer / Audi etc. I like teh 1.6 civic saloon, but I think that is a 4 speed auto? Not having driven it, its not fair to count it out, but I think 4-speed autos really just don;t cut the mustard any more, generally.... as per the subaru's also.

Again - as you rightly predict - the VW's are boring, in my view, however I am finding that they are about the only manufacturer producing proper automatics, with acceptable engines - generally speaking.... top of the list at the moment is a 1.4 140bhp TSi Jetta..... not the most exciting car ever built, but apart from the middle class cliche that is the golf, I cannot find anything else that presents both performance, reasonable residuals, proper auto, bit of comfort, for around the 30k mark.

2 litre petrols...... well unless you consider the uber-clean 3.18i BMW, they are becoming an expensive option in terms of runnign costs...... both before adn after the June-July VRT deadline........

Gonna check out the SEAT and Skoda though......

Cheers,

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

What-car : yes the accord would be nice, but with the impending release of a new accord I would not be inclined to go for the accord.

TomMc - I totally agree with you RE comments abotu smaller petrols - having driving my diesel I swore I would never go back to petrol, but there is just such little choice on the market for automatics unless you go to BMW / Mer / Audi etc. I like teh 1.6 civic saloon, but I think that is a 4 speed auto? Not having driven it, its not fair to count it out, but I think 4-speed autos really just don;t cut the mustard any more, generally.... as per the subaru's also.

Again - as you rightly predict - the VW's are boring, in my view, however I am finding that they are about the only manufacturer producing proper automatics, with acceptable engines - generally speaking.... top of the list at the moment is a 1.4 140bhp TSi Jetta..... not the most exciting car ever built, but apart from the middle class cliche that is the golf, I cannot find anything else that presents both performance, reasonable residuals, proper auto, bit of comfort, for around the 30k mark.

2 litre petrols...... well unless you consider the uber-clean 3.18i BMW, they are becoming an expensive option in terms of runnign costs...... both before adn after the June-July VRT deadline........

Gonna check out the SEAT and Skoda though......

Cheers,

Matt

the accord auto delivers 45MPG on motorway runs and about 25 round town.
    overall they are great cars and plenty of toys. take a drive in one see for yourself. nobody knows really whats gona happen in july re the car market... but u can rest assured that most 2.0L petrol autos will go up in price! i dont find my accord auto expensive to run

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The Civic 1.8 hatchback is available with an auto/semi auto flappy paddle arrangement. its a 6-speed box. The 1.4 petrol and the 2.2 diesel (which you would have to import yourself anyway, thanks Universal Honda) are manual only. Pretty low CO2 as well, although the manual is lower. The new i-DTEC Accord coming later in the year is supposed to have an auto option but that's going to be way more than 30k.

• Advertisement

Thanks Stephen - wouldn't be into importing stuff myself anyway..... too lazy and too paranoid (been burnt on second cars before, so I feel much more comfortable when I am dealing with new / main dealer).

what__car - thanks again, but I do alot of micky mouse driving. I spend countless hours per week in the car, but more than half of it is sitting in traffic..... so I'd be more at the 25mpg end rather than 45...... apart from that, there is the silly road tax and insurance costs (before July 1st) and after that there will be new silly tax...... I suppose "expensive" is a bit OTT, but still not exaclty good value or economical - relatively speaking. BUT, the main reason I would not be inclined to go test drive the accord right now is because of the impending new model..... (1) I would stand to loose a bit more than average on depreciation and (2) As soon as the new one comes out, I would want that :)

Buying now would certainly make sense from the point of view that if it goes up in price substantially, after July 1st, then its second hand value will increase with it, lessening depreciation.... in theory..... but as we all know, there is no gaurantees there!

Thanks,

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

but more than half of it is sitting in traffic.....
    Hybrid. Civic and Prius are both around 30k. Both have CVT box as standard.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Hybrid. Civic and Prius are both around 30k. Both have CVT box as standard.

Yes, civic hybrid is on the short list. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Skoda Octavia DSG, and mucho cheap to run, too. Even cheaper post July.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

My wife has an '03 Civic Hybrid. Lovely car but unfortunately the cvt gearbox wasn't an option on this side of the planet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement