Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

knowledge economy my .... a rant about how businesses are being screwed as well :(

Options
  • 11-02-2008 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

Ok i hope i am posting in the correct forum

i need to let of some steam that build up after hearing the words "knowledge economy" coming out of Bertie's mouth yet again

Let me introduce myself

The Galway based company I work for and founded is involved in hosting some very large sites (see attachment comparing to bebo and boards) and coding the back end systems, maintaining servers for them, and so on, anyways ..

Our work is all done over the net, managing remote servers etc, currently collocating 20 servers in Germany, USA and using about 1200mbit upload on average between all the machines, 24x7 (thats more than goes thru' the INEX btw), alot of the sites we manage are used almost daily by people here (1 in every 200 internet users goes thru our servers daily)

Anyways i got very pissed off this morning when i heard Bertie say "knowledge economy", my company has an edge because of the excellent smart IT guys on board and because we can get huge amounts of bandwidth for our applications/sites for cheap outside of Ireland

What really ticked me off is that i have to spend 5 digit monthly on server/bandwidth fees outside of Ireland, this is money that can easily stay here in the local economy, there meant to be gigabits/sec of unused fiber capacity here in Galway alone and the country as a whole,

but i cant run the core of the business from Ireland, why!?? why do ESB networks and other providers quote me 10 times what we pay now for bandwidth and collocation on the continent and the US?

why are we being ripped of? why have all that capacity and prevent small business like mine tapping into it at the same prices that are paid elsewhere (probably due to huge amounts of competition and lack of it here in Ireland)

where does all the tax money we pay goes? didn't they use millions/billions? on digging up all the streets and putting in the cables??

I hope they realize that i can as easily do my business from any other country and we are sticking with Ireland cause of the deep family ties for time being, In this new knowledge economy its very easy for knowledge based companies like mine to move out of Ireland since we don't have many physical assets, our assets are our employees and their know-how

I'm sorry for a long rant, i feel like writing a similar letter to Galway chamber of commerce and the communications minister

Thanks for reading and looking forward to any suggestions on whom I can bug about this
    private individuals are not the only ones are being screwed here on broadband, businesses are suffering too :(

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Perhaps the correct comparison would be colocation in Ireland vs colocation in those other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

Blaster99 wrote: »
    Perhaps the correct comparison would be colocation in Ireland vs colocation in those other countries.

send an email to blacknight.ie | hosting365.com | strencom.net

and ask how much they want for a full rack, with 1-2 gbit connection and commit, you'll will be shocked :eek:

i know the fella from blacknight is around on these forums perhaps he can give a quote

our bandwidth usage is similar to whats going thru the Inex ( https://www.inex.ie/technical/stats ) +/- 200mbit on average as our servers peak at different time of day

EDIT: i added the live overview screen for the US cluster of servers we have (bandwidth is the far right column) and mrtg for the 1st server on that list, there just no way we can run these servers in Ireland as my company would be ripped off :( on the super expensive bandwidth fees

what my rant is all about why should we spend money abroad when the infrastructure here in Ireland exists but the prices are being kept artificially high by a cartel of few large companies

"Broadband infrastructure must be put in place to make our electronic communication both available and affordable"
    taken from Galway Chamber of Commerce manifesto @ http://www.galwaychamber.com/uploadedfiles/MicrosoftWord-ElectionManifesto2007.pdf <= that really cracks me up!

http://www.enet.ie/pdfs/Galway_180507.pdf <= the fiber is right outside on the street by our office!

http://www.ndp.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=586 <= with the prices we were quoted we should afford to built one of these ourselves in few short years! lol

regards

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'd bet the US guys make more money than Blacknight / Hosting365
    The infrastructure cost is high here.

Self hosting you could pay the same just for your own electric and x10 for the connection bandwidth.

There is a bit of bottle neck someplace between states and here, so if hits are mostly Irish you may have to use Irish hosting. US hosting is fine for a North American hits and if you don't mind full U.S. Gov access. They don't have EU standard Data Protection.

watty wrote: »
    I'd bet the US guys make more money than Blacknight / Hosting365
    The infrastructure cost is high here.

Self hosting you could pay the same just for your own electric and x10 for the connection bandwidth.

There is a bit of bottle neck someplace between states and here, so if hits are mostly Irish you may have to use Irish hosting. US hosting is fine for a North American hits and if you don't mind full U.S. Gov access. They don't have EU standard Data Protection.

Why is it tho? where did all the money on wiring up the country went?

why 10 times the price difference?

how can Ireland be competitive with costs way above other countries in the EU? how can we build high tech industry when the foundations are rotten

Why are ESB sitting on a pile fiber and keeping the prices high (i worked for ESB in their HQ few years ago and ironically enough they used to get Internet connection for head office from BT, tho better not say more with the nondisclosure agreements :p )

also only half of out servers are in US the rest are in Germany where the prices are very low as well and im currently looking to colocate in Netherlands as well

most of our applications are not than latency sensitive

but i did an MTR to blacknight and to one of the servers in germany, same latency (im on NThell here) and less

Why have we unlit MANs with no INEX connection...

And ESB are cheaper than some others... It would be worse if ESB didn't have it. AFAIK the only reason BT have any fibre is the ESAT <--> CIE signalling deal giving them a wayleave down the tracks.

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »

And ESB are cheaper than some others... It would be worse if ESB didn't have it. AFAIK the only reason BT have any fibre is the ESAT <--> CIE signalling deal giving them a wayleave down the tracks.

yea its a sad state of things, Im gonna reword my rant in a more polite manner and mail it to Eamon Ryan, see if he even bothers responding

I dunno I do hope things improve, bandwidth is a commodity, the more of it for cheaper is available the more applications can be brought to the end user the more money can be made!

how many Irish businesses are suffering because of these costs? how many ideas never took of the ground? all while theres literally tons of unlit fiber beneath our feet, the next google or youtube or facebook of the web will never be born in Ireland cause of this

Im after securing another 50mbit commit with the datacenter for $US 300 routed thru Tiscali /XO / Verio mix, thats $6 per mbit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

They are unlit because neither ESBT nor BT can provide backhaul to these MAN's. Radio / eircom is too expensive in general.

it was a rhetorical question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Your costs are high(er) because you're at the end of a food chain.

An Irish ISP will have to buy connectivity in the US then pay for transatlantic capacity then pay to bring it from London to Dublin and then Dublin to Galway.

That's the economics of the interweb and everyone outside the US suffers from the same issue and its been a problem for all the time I've been involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ionix5891 wrote: »
    yea its a sad state of things, Im gonna reword my rant in a more polite manner and mail it to Eamon Ryan, see if he even bothers responding

Hah! Hah! ahahaahhahaahh HAAAAAAAahhhaaaah ggggagagggggagg Hrpmppph .

eamo will send you the usual boilerplate rubbish he sends everybody. He is too thick and far too arrogant to care about some technical expertise in the west of ireland . you get in the way of his bicycles thats all.

In fact eamo has a project to get rid of everybody ( and their sheeps) in the areas of operation marked in light green on his map here

...which are very well provided with broadband as we all know ...and all the better provided since ryan took over as minister.

map_small.gif

"The provision of broadband is left to market yadda in a competitive gush goo regulated by Comreg "
    the next google or youtube or facebook of the web will never be born in Ireland cause of this

Thats true, Ryan does not care so don't tell him .
    Im after securing another 50mbit commit with the datacenter for $US 300 routed thru Tiscali /XO / Verio mix, thats $6 per mbit

Feck :( , I am paying £7.50 a megabit in London . I must email them thieving english bastards and give them a piece of my mind.

As for Galway, €1200 a meg in the city and outside the city don't make me laugh :(

Maybe we country people should start to kidnap BICYCLES and hold them to ransom , eh!!!!?? ryan would certainly care about that .

but humans and economies and knowledge economies outside Dublin 4???

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Feck :( , I am paying £7.50 a megabit in London . I must email them thieving english bastards and give them a piece of my mind.

As for Galway, €1200 a meg in the city and outside the city don't make me laugh :(

Maybe we country people should start to kidnap BICYCLES and hold them to ransom , eh!!!!?? ryan would certainly care about that .

but humans and economies and knowledge economies outside Dublin 4???

doesn't have to be Galway, i don't mind driving to Dublin or Cork or anywhere else in this country to collocate a few servers

hell i already have to pay nice amounts to ship of heavy servers to US or the continent, and last summer went to Netherlands to tour a datacenter (and chill out it in the dam ;) )

what my earlier rant was about (i calmed down now, as long as i dont ever have to hear Bertie again!) was that not only private individuals are getting screwed when it comes to communications here in Ireland but startups and small companies are not doing much better either

I am currently looking at collocating here in Ireland the database/search servers we have which dont use much bandwidth at all, but are fairly power hungry due to all the CPUs,

but it still works out cheaper to fly to London from Galway (low fare airlines one thing we Irish do well!) stay overnight than drive to Dublin and deal with the crowd there

bleh i am an optimist but no amounts of hot air from our politicians will change the situtation for the foreseeable future

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ionix5891 wrote: »
    but it still works out cheaper to fly to London from Galway (low fare airlines one thing we Irish do well!) stay overnight than drive to Dublin and deal with the crowd there

Thats why my server farm is in London , the hosting is cheaper because energy is cheaper. Minister Ryan is in charge of that little problem too do not forget that. Minister Ryan neither understands or cares about that mess either.

The cheap bandwidth is icing on the cake. It takes 5 hours door to door Galway - Isle of Dogs via Shannon .......I never fly air arann in the winter months because of all the diversions and that Luton flight at night is always knocked back and the plane smells overly of puke and/or bleach :(

I would only ever entertain Dublin if they actually put the data centre under the ****ing aer arann terminal in the airport.

I hate going there and hate being there and simply loathe the long drive back in rain and traffic . An expensive spread out ****hole is what Dublin is and not the hub of any knowledge economy that I can discern.

On the other hand the main datacentre clusters in London are in two small areas with proper public transport unlike Dublin where they are spread out willy nilly with no choice but to use a car.

I also get some 'arbitrage' opportunities on VAT depending on the precise configurations of the front end and back end of the system :p

Advertisement