Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista Experience Index

Options
  • 11-02-2008 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭

I installed an nVidia 8400 GS 512MB on my Dell PowerEdge 4400 SC (modded x4 slot) and I have two quick questions:

1) My Aero Graphics were at 3.0 but my 3D Gaming Graphics are at 4.2, shouldn't this be the other way around?

2) I installed an Windows Update from Nvidia and now my Vista Experience Index has gone from 3.0 upto 3.1 (Aero Graphics) and 4.2 down to 3.9 (3D Gaming Graphics). Surely updates are suppose to enhance hardware and not the opposite.

(Btw I know that the Vista Experience Index is b.s. and 3D Benchmark is much better but this was just nagging at me over the weekend).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

dont download graphics drivers thru windows update for a start, download from the nvidia website. this is the driver u wanna instal. http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_169.25_whql.html

should sort out any random kinks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It might be something to do with the constrained bandwidth of the x4 slot, the experience index is very simplistic with what it measures, mostly bandwidth between different components.

Anyway, first thing is try the official nvidia driver and see from there. Also, install the Intel inf motherboard driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I installed the nVidia driver and the Aero Graphics went from 3.0 to 3.1 and the 3D Gaming went back to it's original 4.2. I thought that the 4x slot was constraining the bandwidth too but I saw on another thread that somebody is using a nVidia 7300 GT 128MB on a 4x slot and getting 5.9 (Aero Graphics) & 5.2 (3D Graphics) :eek:

I couldn't find an Intel motherboard driver for Vista (32 or 64) but as far as I know the chipset is an Intel 3000 chipset family. This is the closest I could get, would it do?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Nah, you'll find it on www.intel.com e.g. Intel 3 series motherboard (P35, G31, X38), vista x64 is http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2842&OSFullName=Windows+Vista*+64&lang=eng&strOSs=150&submit=Go%21

Sounds very odd to be getting 5.9 with such a weak card (7300), sounds like someone faking a screenshot. I'm 5.9 across the board here (8800GTS).

Advertisement