Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken and broccoli bake?

Options
  • 11-02-2008 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

I remember eating this as "canteen food" at a conference a few years ago and really enjoying it. I thought I might attempt it over the next day or two.

I am thinking:

Steam some chicken and broccoli. Cut into chunks.
    Make white sauce (butter, flour, milk, salt & pepper).
    Drain a can of sweetcorn and toss with the sauce, chicken and broccoli.
    Lay in a baking dish.
    Top with breadcrumbs and spray with oil. Bake til golden.

Should this work? Any tips? All suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

Depending on how healthy you want to be, a layer of grated chese (a la lasagne) might add a bit of flavour.

An alternative to steaming the chicken might be to butterfly it and cook with some garlic, onions and whatever other herbs take your fancy(chili flakes maybe?!)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

This sounds gross, but is the yummiest comfort food ever....

Crunch Chicken

Ingredients:
    Handful frozen broccoli
    1 whole cooked chicken
    2 cans Campbells Condensed Chicken & mushroom Soup
    5 tablespoons mayo
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    Large handful breadcrumbs
    Grated Cheese to top

Blanch broccoli in boiling water for a few mins, place layer of broccoli in bottom of oven dish.

Pull apart the whole chicken using all the meat but no skin and place in a layer over broccoli.

In another bowl mix the Campbells Chicken Soup, the mayonnaise and curry powder in a bowl. Spread mixture over chicken.

Then mix breadcrumbs and grated cheese in a bowl, place this over top of dish and oven bake for 40 mins.

Serve with crusty bread and a salad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I add a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard to the white sauce to give it a bit of a kick. And I mix grated cheese with the breadcrumbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Definietly give the recipe with the campbells soup a try. My friend's mum makes this and we're always telling her how much we love it. My friend had us over for dinner on Friday and her mum left one of these in for us. It was delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mick Shrimpton

Absolutely...the campbell's soup trick with curry powder is amazing.

So simple....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I love the one with Campbell's soup and curry powder but we use a carton of cream whipped instead of mayo and don't bother with breadcrumbs or cheese. It's so nice! It's lovely with rice or roast potatoes (we always have both) and for some reason when I have carrots with it they always taste sweeter.

Haven't had it in awhile though because last time I followed it with a long bus journey and, well, it wasn't pretty!

Still good though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Have to say I prefer using Knorr packet soup, not a great lover of Campbells soup anyhow. I just make it a bit thicker than you would normally and then add the curry and mayonnaise. Yum....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Suzywuzy

Crunch Chicken

Ingredients:
    Handful frozen broccoli
    1 whole cooked chicken
    5 tablespoons mayo
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    Grated Cheese to top

Blanch broccoli in boiling water for a few mins, place layer of broccoli in bottom of oven dish.

Pull apart the whole chicken using all the meat but no skin and place in a layer over broccoli.

In another bowl mix the Campbells Chicken Soup, the mayonnaise and curry powder in a bowl. Spread mixture over chicken.

Then mix breadcrumbs and grated cheese in a bowl, place this over top of dish and oven bake for 40 mins.

Yeah, my mum and aunt also make a dish very close to this ... only difference is they add crunched up tayto cheese and onion crisps to the breadcrumb part and cream to the sauce (ie. cream, cambpells soup, mayo and curry powder). Definitely one of my favourite dinners too ... quite heavy though !!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ljcoolk

Absolutely...the campbell's soup trick with curry powder is amazing.

So simple....
    Tried this out and it is simple gorgerous I have a new favourite dish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shypal

Does anyone know which curry powder to use for this dish? Mild, medium hot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mick Shrimpton

Definately Madras;)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Robin132

shypal wrote: »
    Does anyone know which curry powder to use for this dish? Mild, medium hot?
    what i use is medium curry powder and just add to taste, its the best way to do it.

i love this (we called it chicken geraldine when i was younger!) but i usually make the lazy version now.... ie dont bake it... just have the chicken, brocolli, campbells sauce with curry powder and some mash... mmmmmm :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

Crunch Chicken

Ingredients:
    Handful frozen broccoli
    1 whole cooked chicken
    5 tablespoons mayo
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    Grated Cheese to top

exactly the recipe I use!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Cooked this last night for the first time - bosses orders, nothing to do with thread, visitors coming. The only major difference is one daughter doesnt like brocolli so I put brocolli one end and carrots the other, going to have leftovers for lunch. Clean plates all round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Lilym

I am definately going to try it over the weekend and see how it goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Crunch Chicken

Ingredients:
    Handful frozen broccoli
    1 whole cooked chicken
    5 tablespoons mayo
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    Grated Cheese to top

This is "The" recipe. Its amazing. I looovvveeee it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Tried this at the weekend - its whats making me look forward to the freezing cold winter!so warming and hearty.yum

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭fuse

Crunch Chicken

Ingredients:
    Handful frozen broccoli
    1 whole cooked chicken
    5 tablespoons mayo
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    Grated Cheese to top

This one is spot on! Everyone seems to agree too. I was gonna post what I thought was my special recipe til I saw this!

One thing extra I add along with the curry powder & mayonaisse is a spoonfull of colmans english mustard. Love this dish.
    Also can't help adding more veg with the broccoli.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

Made this last night. Had to say, it went down a treat! Thanks for the recipe.

Crunch Chicken

Ingredients:
    Handful frozen broccoli
    1 whole cooked chicken
    5 tablespoons mayo
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    Grated Cheese to top

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭InTouch

This might sound studpid but the campbell's soup, did you add the can of water to it or did you just put it in condensed?

Going to make this recipe tomorrow for my OH and need to know exactly what i'm putting in it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

yep put the soup in fully condensed,and tbh only use cambells as you never know the exact consistancy of other soups.enjoy! I'm thinking of replacing the curry powder for some dijon mustard next time.yikes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Crunch Chicken

Ingredients:
    Handful frozen broccoli
    1 whole cooked chicken
    5 tablespoons mayo
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    Grated Cheese to top

Thanks for the recipe - made it yesterday and everyone loved it, my Dad wanted thirds, and my mum asked for the recipe so she could make it again during the week :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 murmur

Hi all, I use the above recipe with the campbells soup all the time, but have had to take my son off dairy as he is intolerant to it. Would love an alternative recipe if anyone has any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

My mam does a recipe that was originally found online I think. Basically

4x chicken fillets
    1x Chicken soup, 1x Mushroom soup (tins)
    Broccoli
    Mushrooms if desired
    Breadcrumbs
    Grated Cheese

BOIL the chicken fillets first, in a saucepan of water, for about 20 minutes. This keeps them amazingly tender. Also boil the broccoli for 5-10 mins.

Mix the two soups, chicken, broccoli and mushrooms in a bown and place in an overproof dish. Seperately, mix the breadcrumbs and cheese in equal quantities and add a generous layer over the top of the chicken mixture.

Bake for about 25-35 mins and we always have mashed potato with it, carrots etc. I'm eating a plateful now from last night, it keeps in the fridge under tinfoil for 2 or 3 days....mmmmm gorgeous.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yep, that's it, I'm making this again this week :D

It really is yummy, I usually make one big one and a couple of individual ones which I stick in the freezer for emergencies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Crunch Chicken

Ingredients:
    Handful frozen broccoli
    1 whole cooked chicken
    5 tablespoons mayo
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    Grated Cheese to top

How many would this serve?

Serves about 6 people, I usually serve it with garlic bread and a salad... It's the kind of dish that you keep picking at though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I use sour cream instead of mayo - yum! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭oirishfruitie

Am going to make this for some friends.
    In addition to the chicken dish, was thinking of doing a vegetable one also (vegetarian friend). What vegetables do people suggest?

Advertisement