Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinion on Service

Options
  • 11-02-2008 4:24pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

Just had my car in for a service - this sounds okay to me but sure i am a girl what would i know :rolleyes:

service €160
    new timing belt and waterpump(i knew these needed to be replaced) €170

Two rear brake cyclinders €50.00

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Good price but depends on the car you have I suppose especially regarding the timing belt change?

Did they replace the water pump also?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The t-belt work sounds very cheap!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Moanin wrote: »
    Good price but depends on the car you have I suppose especially regarding the timing belt change?

Did they replace the water pump also?

They they replaced the waterpump, it was leaking, which i knew about. the timing belt and the waterpump together was €170.

its an old seat ibzia but it only has 81,500 miles on the clock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Still as stephen says sounds very cheap.Is the mechanic reputable?Have you used him / her before

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sounds too reasonable to me.

Make/model/year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sounds very cheap to me too.

€170 for a timing belt and water pump? Would that even cover the parts and a hours labour?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

bazz26 wrote: »
    Sounds very cheap to me too.

€170 for a timing belt and water pump? Would that even cover the parts and a hours labour?

Maybe the quote was parts only - that might make some sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

A water pump would be €50 and a belt €20, so that was a very good price. Price for brake cylinders was very good too. You should let us know who this garage is!

Moanin wrote: »
    Still as stephen says sounds very cheap.Is the mechanic reputable?Have you used him / her before

the garage was recommended to me from a poster here. I hope it is parts and labour because he knows that if it cost too much, it wouldnt be worth my while getting the job done.

i have to say, he was the nicest car man, i have ever being to, and he took time to explain things to me and wasnt in the least be condensending - am picking it up this afternoon, will let you know the exact cost when i get it

i cant remember who recommended it during the summer but a big thank you :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

"car man" :)

what garage was it?

• Advertisement

well, just went and got the car, €400 even, and he added in two front brake pads and fixed that part of tubing that goes from the engine to the to exhaust - it pulls in the warm and cool air.

can i name the garage here? seriously the man was lovely.

someone asked the make of the car its a seat ibiza 1994, with 81,000 on the clock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

irishbird wrote: »
    well, just went and got the car, €400 even, and he added in two front brake pads and fixed that part of tubing that goes from the engine to the to exhaust - it pulls in the warm and cool air.

can i name the garage here? seriously the man was lovely.

someone asked the make of the car its a seat ibiza 1994, with 81,000 on the clock

Of course you can name the garage, the guy was good!

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but looking to get my car serviced...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 jason31

timing belt on the cheap side but yea maybe. dont think the water pump was done for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Timing belt on some cars is a minor job. everyone seems to hear timing belt and think 1000 euro straight off. On smaller engined petrol cars, there is often very little involved cause lots of room to work and no diesel timing issues. Modern deisels are a different story. Kia sedonka jeep is an engine out job for the belt. Many audi models have to have the front end completely removed (Not as bad as it sounds).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

I have had two timing belts changed in my time one on an Opel Vectra and the other on a Volvo S40 and they both came in at €600.

Both main dealers and also included normal service so your well sorted there with your price.

timing belts on Ibzia's are really easy to change, they are very visable and assessble with little clips on the side. i was actually going to do it myself but decided i cant be bothered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

So where did you get the work done?
    A mechanic as decent and reasonable as this should be commended - spread the word!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Just found this thread, getting my car serviced soon too.

Irishbird, what is the name of the garage?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Send her a PM. This is zombie thread day for sure! :D

Not your ornery onager

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement