Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 800 and under discuss!

Options
  • 11-02-2008 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Best gaming pc for 800 or less!!!!
    What would you change and why?
    Obviously the cpu is going to be overclocked .

Final price is €796 as the postage is 30 quid.
    image2bg9.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Best gaming pc for 800 or less!!!!
    What would you change and why?
    Obviously the cpu is going to be overclocked to 3ghz.

4GB of RAM but Vista 32bit?

Another 30 euro would double the hard disk space.
    The P35 chipset is replaced several times over as well.
    Another 100 euro would swap the CPU for a quad core Q6600.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

I don't think you read the title?
    4GB of RAM but Vista 32bit?
    explain?
    The P35 chipset is replaced several times over as well.
    What reason is there to use another chipset?
    Another 100 euro would swap the CPU for a quad core Q6600.
    Again read thread title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

I don't think you read the title?

explain?

What reason is there to use another chipset?

Again read thread title.

You also said " What would you change and why?"...hence people offering you ideas...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

32bit OS's don't see 4GB of RAM. You need a 64bit one to fully use it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

32 Bit OS will only read 3 gigs of RAM, so you're gonna need a 64 bit version of Vista or XP.

• Advertisement

Yes but in the context of it being under 800 euros.
    I'm asking the man why he is saying that as he is very vague.

Oh I see I didn't know that, so changed 32bit to 64 ok cool.
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Yes but in the context of it being under 800 euros.
    I'm asking the man why he is saying that as he is very vague.

Oh I see I didn't know that, so changed 32bit to 64 ok cool.
    Thanks.

As you've seen, you need 64bit to see and use that RAM. There should be no price difference.

The other possibilities mentioned would help give it some longevity. You may want to up the power supply to something in the region of 600W. 400W is very borderline.

Ok so 32bit to 64bit windows.
    What about what you said about the p35chipset?

I'm looking into the power supplies.

Ok so 32bit to 64bit windows.
    What about what you said about the p35chipset?

I'm looking into the power supplies.

The P35 has since been replaced by P38 and X48. It only supports DDR2 up to 1333MHz. X48 is very new and very expensive though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#Core_2_Chipsets

I doubt it's really an issue but be aware of the limitations and future upgrade restrictions it carries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

A 32bit operating system can only see 3.25gb. Add in a 512mb video card and you get 3.25gb - 512mb...

Do you really need a 64bit os ? Will the software you use take advantage of it ? Also do you really need 4gb ram ? 2gb will do you fine if you stick to windows xp, its even enough for vista. Are there any parts you can salvage form your current pc? like a monitor?

And is 800€ the max you can spend ?

And remember if you plan on overlcocking you will need a good cpu fan and case cooling. This dosen't come cheap in most circumstances.

This kit:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=344202 is 799€ + delivery so 840€ ish

No monitor though. But would obliterate the system posted by the op.

• Advertisement

I had a look at them chipsets when choosing the motherboard and as you said they are very expensive.

I don't really need a 64bit operating sytem no.The software i use will be the normal everyday software you all use plus games.
    This is a complete build so i won't be able to use other parts from a pc.

So now i'm back to 32bit vista i would prefer it over xp since it's the new thing everyone has so i need to learn it .
    Ya 800 is the max i can spend.
    I have a e2160 overclocked on intel hsf to 3ghz it's running cool enough i think.

So far your advice is great I think I will drop the 4 gigs to 2 gigs and as suggested get a better power supply with the 40€ I save.
    What you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Sounds good to me.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I think you should buy the rig in my signature...

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Class build buddy unbelievable value there, agree with everything so far...

I would drop the graphics card and get the 8800gs instead, it beats the HD3850 in alot tests and the extra memory may come in handy...

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/08/01/14/nvidia-geforce-9600gt-review

8800gs €138.68

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/7VIkOCfhWtydCb/3/articledetail.jsp?aid=19899&agid=394

Coolermaster Elite €30

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/7VIkOCfhWtydCb/3/articledetail.jsp?aid=9427&agid=631

ATX-Netzteil Corsair VX450W 450 Watt €56.97

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/7VIkOCfhWtydCb/3/articledetail.jsp?aid=17483&agid=240

Should keep you in budget....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

I tried to make an <800 list but it ended up 1600 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm building a budget machine at the moment. Is going to cost around 500 including a 20" LCD. At this stage it's looking like it'll be 600w Arctic modular psu, 2Ghz core 2, 2gb ram, 256mb x1900GT, 250gb HD....The case, psu, lcd, will be new, the video card under 1 month warranty though second hand. Should be enough to pull off Call of Duty 4 at 1680x1050 mid-high. :)

Nobody really knows to much about the 8800gs .
    I've seen it posted on all the forums but their all sourcing the same article and benchmarks from some chinese fella.
    I'd prefer a few reputable sites post a good few articles before i
    consider that card .It doesn't look at all that great...

Here's whats on offer and the prices from hardwareversand.

I'm going to be playing all my games at 1680 x 1050 and want to be able to play most games on max at that res.

ATI
    €136,00 Club3D HD3850, 256MB, ATI Radeon HD 3850
    €162,77 Gigabyte RX385512H, 512MB, ATI Radeon HD3850
    €172,38 Gigabyte RX387512H, 512MB, ATI Radeon HD3870

NVIDIA
    €138,76 XFX GeForce 8800GS 384MB
    €168,66 Gigabyte NX88T256H, 8800GT, 256MB
    €190,67 Jetway 8800GT, NVIDIA 8800GT, 512MB

Out of the cards the HD3870 is standing out the most,
    what do you guys think?

Nice rig conzymaher :)

I'll definetly upgrade that psu your right 400 is not really good for the future.

Nice build terror . And haha varkov :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

That monitor is 1440 x 900...

I would go with the 8800gt

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Definitely upgrade the video card...see if you can pick up a cheap 8800gts going on ebay or boards etc.
    At higher resolutions you defintely want a video card with more memory than 256MB. ie 1680x1050+
    See the link below for 8800GT 512MB for about €210.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-052-BG&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1008
    Add in shipping and for about €40 more than your original video card you've a much better one.

If you have to be 100% under 800 then drop 2gigs of ram and go with XP..it's gonna be around for awhile yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Back to the RAM, with RAM prices the way they are, you'd be mad not to go the full 4GB, OS price is the same for x64 or x86, there is nothing saying that x86 won't work with 4GB RAM (I'd question Anti's calculations above, generally the 3.25gb limit is with the graphics card 512mb accounted for), but if there's nothing stopping you going x64 then go for it.

The P35 chipset is more than enough for a cheap machine, supports everything barring PCI-E 2.0, which none of the current graphics boards are even close to using the bandwidth of.

You should also be targetting Vista Home Premium as the OS, Basic is missing a lot of the features that make Vista, Vista.

• Advertisement

astrofool wrote: »
    Back to the RAM, with RAM prices the way they are, you'd be mad not to go the full 4GB, OS price is the same for x64 or x86, there is nothing saying that x86 won't work with 4GB RAM (I'd question Anti's calculations above, generally the 3.25gb limit is with the graphics card 512mb accounted for), but if there's nothing stopping you going x64 then go for it.

No, the 3.25Gb limit stems from the fact that PCI address space starts at 4Gb and works down. The video card memory isn't the root cause, but it does exacerbate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I'm building a budget machine at the moment. Is going to cost around 500 including a 20" LCD. At this stage it's looking like it'll be 600w Arctic modular psu, 2Ghz core 2, 2gb ram, 256mb x1900GT, 250gb HD....The case, psu, lcd, will be new, the video card under 1 month warranty though second hand. Should be enough to pull off Call of Duty 4 at 1680x1050 mid-high. :)

For a budget PC, you have no use for a 600w modular PSU. People running dual Ultras, overclocked quads, and about 6 hard drives might, but not by much. Don't buy into the FUD spread by PSU makers. Any decent test has yet to see high end rigs pulling more than 450w. The only reason most PSU's are sold at that wattage is either a) they're crap or b) the makers won't put a full set of PCI power plugs on the lower wattage models. (I'm terribly cynical).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes, but it was the cheapest modular PSU and the lowest wattage available - I'm not trying to cram a messy full set one into a matx case! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Spear wrote: »
    No, the 3.25Gb limit stems from the fact that PCI address space starts at 4Gb and works down. The video card memory isn't the root cause, but it does exacerbate it.

Oh yes, but you're not limited to 2.75GB of RAM with windows x86 and a 512MB card installed as Anti implies.

Advertisement