Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can You Get a "proper job" on the Oz 1 year visa?

Options
  • 11-02-2008 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of applying for the 1 year working visa (Have to apply before I'm 31), but I don't want to go over and "tool" about. I've done too much of it the last few years, including 2 months down under last year "on holiday". Can I apply for "normal" jobs, such as technical writing and the likes....??

I'd like to find out before I do anymore....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 fast1

As far as I know you can apply for any job you like, but you can't work longer than 3 months in each job. Thats how it is for us Aussie's working in Ireland. Lucky I have an EU passport :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

fast1 wrote: »
    As far as I know you can apply for any job you like, but you can't work longer than 3 months in each job. Thats how it is for us Aussie's working in Ireland. Lucky I have an EU passport :)

This has since been changed to six months with any one employer.

Yes you can apply for and get proper jobs. I was working as a network engineer with Ericsson for 2/3 months. Bad decision on their part but hey the pay was good for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 MarkPH

yeah I was working as a quantity surveyor in Australia and got to relocate to offices around the country as a result. Was unreal money, at least double than what the lads I was travelling with were on. Didnt want to have a 'proper' job when I went away, fancied a break, but hey, money talks!

Ypou sure about the 6 month thing Alan? I know it was 3 months up until last year. Its easy enough to get away with tho, some companies have different offices and will relocate the origins of wage slips to facilitate, but others wont. Depends on individual circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

mate of mine worked for the year in the one job, though it was supposed to 6 months. they sponsored him , and he's still with them..
    the fact that im 30 and have been gadding about "outside" the work force, i wouldnt like to leave a gap in my CV again, hence I would be anxious to get something along the lines of what i was doing...

thanks for the answers, cleared up a few things for me.

Advertisement