Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B*tchiness

Options
  • 11-02-2008 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Whats the feckin story with this place? When the Ladies Lounge opened first I asked if it wold be boring or if the fellas would pop in and mock us. Strangely though, the one thing I didnt anticipate was the absolute b*tchiness that goes on in here. Yes there are a lot of good arguments and interesting posts and people just disagreeing but my god, theres an awful lot of nastiness too.

I went to a Loreto and I gotta say this place is starting to remind me of my days there. I think, if it continues to escalate in this manner, the Ladies Lounge will eventually implode.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

You might be awhile waiting on certain replies, they have to ask [SIZE=-1]Vanesa Feltz first before replying.

:D:D
    [/SIZE]

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

A women's forum is bitchy? Well I never :D

edit: this is one of those men mocking you posts you talked about

I think posts can be taken the wrong way very easily on a forum, and umbrage can be taken very easily.

And yeah, women can be awful bitches!

More news at 11 users of BGRH have unbalanced diets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I don't see that much bitchiness in here? Though there's one or two posters that baffle me and need to chill the fock out. Apart from that I think it's grand.

You can't expect it to just be a female version of the BGRH. I think this place is great and the few of us that now hang around together are having a ball so it's all good in my hood!
    :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Women are bitchy in general and we don't have the same camaradie as men do but i don't think the ladies lounge is all that bitchy. Ive never had anyone make any remarks that I felt were uncalled for to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

I havent seen much in here at all.
    Maybe its just some Threads that you were in??!!Dunno.
    I steer clear on all that lark - makes for easier life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Yeah ok smartasses so I knew a womens forum would be a tad snipey every now and then :p

Maybe I have used the wrong word, its just sometimes it doesnt feel like a welcoming place to be.

BGRH is worse though, all that fear of catching teh gay.

A lot of it is persona I know but I sense an element of bullying sometimes.

All to be expected I know, just feels more personal and intense in the LL.

Some may disagree, and that will be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Rather than just putting it down to the fact that 'women are bitchy' (yawn), surely a lot of the clashes are because of the two very different types of women that are posting in this forum?

Firstly there are the girly-girls, who like boys, pink things and planning what kind of mothers they'll be. Then there's the thinking girls, who want to talk about what it means to be a woman nowadays with the expectations, the blurring of gender roles and living up to the 'superwoman' ideal.

On a lot of the threads here it seems that the clashes are often between the two types of women, rather than just random bitchiness directed at individuals. That'd be my reading of it anyway...

Peared wrote: »
    Yeah ok smartasses so I knew a womens forum would be a tad snipey every now and then :p

Maybe I have used the wrong word, its just sometimes it doesnt feel like a welcoming place to be.

The thing is it's quickly became a fairly "large" busy forum with lots of different personalities when you add to the fact a lot of people seem to take up things the wrong when in text when there's no tone to the words.

Then you have the odd little clique and when one person gets in an argument there friends come and regardless of their real opinion they get dragged in.

This has been happening for years on nearly every forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

No One or two of the posters is starting to piss me off.

The moral police seem to come along anytime someone posts something fun.

Freedom of speech...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

You complain of bitchiness and then have a go at BGRH, way to prove your point!:rolleyes:

Stargal you forgot the girly thinking girls, the two are not mutually exclusive. And I think there are a few of those on here.

I wouldnt call commenting and making an observation being bitchy.

Really really trying to nitpick there imo.

Quality wrote: »

The moral police seem to come along anytime someone posts something fun.

Freedom of speech...

Though I do have to agree with ya there Quality.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

well just block them and you wont have to see their posts:confused:

its a shame you cant have a laugh in here though, it's all so serious :(

I started a thread on catching the bouquet, Asking two specific questions in it and next thing I know It is a moral issue over womens rights,

Why are the posters allowed to post off topic?

Can they not start up their own thread with their own issues?

I dont mean to insult anyone here, but I started another thread in ah at the weekend, Half my comments were deleted from it, Then the thread was split and the title changed and ......... Jaysus I could go on for every....

Deep breaths

Deep breaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭smurfbaby

Stargal wrote: »
    Firstly there are the girly-girls, who like boys, pink things and planning what kind of mothers they'll be. Then there's the thinking girls, who want to talk about what it means to be a woman nowadays with the expectations, the blurring of gender roles and living up to the 'superwoman' ideal.

Sorry, but does nobody else find this really patronising? FFS, there are more than two types of women in the world! Why do women insist on boxing each other into stereotypes? :rolleyes:

See post 14 smurfbaby.

I started a thread on catching the bouquet, Asking two specific questions in it and next thing I know It is a moral issue over womens rights,

Why are the posters allowed to post off topic?

Can they not start up their own thread with their own issues?

I dont mean to insult anyone here, but I started another thread in ah at the weekend, Half my comments were deleted from it, Then the thread was split and the title changed and ......... Jaysus I could go on for every....

Deep breaths

Deep breaths.

Completely agree! Though after today I've just decided to not read a certain few's comments anymore, not going to block them, couldn't be arsed but not reading what they say anymore cause it just bugs me that EVERYTHING has to turn in to a debate about women's rights....even the perfume one for fock sake....I like wearing perfume, so obviously this must make me a stupid little Barbie doll who only does it so that the boys will like me :rolleyes:

Anyway the good posts that don't turn in to PC overdrive are great and so is this forum so hurrah! :D

• Advertisement

~~GIRL POWER~~

smurfbaby wrote: »
    Sorry, but does nobody else find this really patronising? FFS, there are more than two types of women in the world! Why do women insist on boxing each other into stereotypes? :rolleyes:
    If you re-read my post, you'd see that what I actually said was that when it comes to clashes on this forum, it's generally between women who fall into one of those two categories (which were massively broad by the way; but the ones who feel the strongest in these two categories seem to be the ones who clash the most).

Look at the responses on this thread already - people complaining about the 'fun' threads being derailed by the 'PC brigade'. If someone can explain why it's considered 'pc' and therefore 'unfun' to discuss and actually debate things that matter then please go ahead, because I'm totally at a loss.
    ~~GIRL POWER~~
    /pukes

Look at the responses on this thread already - people complaining about the 'fun' threads being derailed by the 'PC brigade'. If someone can explain why it's considered 'pc' and therefore 'unfun' to discuss and actually debate things that matter then please go ahead, because I'm totally at a loss.

No these things should be discussed and debated but in EVERY thread?? Looking at some of the threads here, I'm sure a lot of them will have went off topic for the same reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭smurfbaby

If you re-read my post, you'd see that what I actually said was that when it comes to clashes on this forum, it's generally between women who fall into one of those two categories (which were massively broad by the way; but the ones who feel the strongest in these two categories seem to be the ones who clash the most).

I just think that's a sweeping generalisation; I know that you try to qualify it by saying these categories are massively broad but I still think it's a bit rich to try to classify all posters in a forum as either 'girly' or 'thinking'. It's statements like this that tend to generate a lot of strong feeling.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with wanting to debate serious issues. But as another poster said, maybe start a seperate thread. If somebody posts something about, I dunno, loving shoes for example, then making comments about why women really wear shoes and inferring the OP is dumb and couldnt be intelligent or (to use that word again) a feminist because she wears them is unfair.

I know thats an over simplified example btw.

smurfbaby wrote: »
    I just think that's a sweeping generalisation; I know that you try to qualify it by saying these categories are massively broad but I still think it's a bit rich to try to classify all posters in a forum as either 'girly' or 'thinking'. It's statements like this that tend to generate a lot of strong feeling.
    Again, that's not what I said. I didn't say that everyone here is either thinking or girly; I said that the conflicts arise between people who are strongly one or the other and I've yet to see anything on this forum that disproves that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I agree that there is nothing wrong with wanting to debate serious issues. But as another poster said, maybe start a seperate thread. If somebody posts something about, I dunno, loving shoes for example, then making comments about why women really wear shoes and inferring the OP is dumb and couldnt be intelligent or (to use that word again) a feminist because she wears them is unfair.

I know thats an over simplified example btw.

I completely agree with the above. I believe there is room here for all kinds of debates but I don't think it's fair that all threads get dereailed in to a feminist debate. If that's what posters want, start a new thread. The cosmopolitan thread was really interesting and productive because it was started with the intention to be a serious debate. People could choose whether or not to get involved. I don't think it's fair that all threads get dragged in to a feminist debate. You know, you like pink so youve been brainwashed by society, I like wearing perfume so I must be doing it for a man, what lingerie do you like to wear for a man.. omg you're not only wearing it for yourself you must be a slave for your man.

There should be room for all types here and everyone should be welcome but at the moment I don't feel there is and I'm actively avoiding most threads.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Well, here's how it is.

This forum was created for women to talk about whatever they want to talk about, within reason.

If someone wants to have a feminist crusade, its being moved to Humanities.

If someone has a problem, its being moved to Personal Issues.

If someone wants a pair of pink fluffy boots, then by god they can post about it here. Any further threads being dragged off topic will be locked or deleted or pruned of all off topic posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Bitching about bitchiness has got to be the height of bitchiness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

Bitching about bitchiness has got to be the height of bitchiness.

ROFL

In fairness whilst i can see a conflict in opinion I actually wouldnt define it as bitchness at all

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement