Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford County Restaurant Reviews..

Options
  • 11-02-2008 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

I started this on the Waterford city forum, so no harm to have a county version too!

Waterford City Restaurant Reviews
    Trotter wrote: »
    So here's the idea.. You go to a restaurant in Waterford and you found it nice/ok/awful. Why not share the information??

Keep the info short and sweet! It'll make it easier to browse through.

I'll kick off...

The Spinnaker in Dunmore (a little far out I know).. Saturday 2nd Feb.. 2 people.. 3 courses each, €80 including a tenner tip because service was really good.

Food was lovely, lots of it - Not too posh, plenty of space, and the fish cakes for starters rocked my world.

Would certainly go back again soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Tramore

Pine Rooms
    Always excellent - good wholesome food cooked exactly to your liking. In recent months prices have crept upwards with meal for 2 including wine running around €100.

Bellissimo
    Now on Queen St in Tramore where Sages used to be. Menu is very hit and miss and there tends to be long delays between ordering and first course. In there recently and starter (spicy meatballs) was way too hot to taste properly while pizza was good, pasta ok. Total cost for one starter, two mains, wine under €60.

Aluddin
    Indian Restaurant which always seems to be empty and a little cold so now we tend to order take out. Menu a little pricey but food usually decent. Meal for two with mains, rice and naan and a few beers or some wine runs around €60

Vic Cafe
    Always enjoy my food there. Never had a bad meal - prices usually run around €75 though menu can be limited. Early Bird is excellent value at around €20 - haven't been there for early bird for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭next

I thought the pine rooms closed down years ago?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Nope.. going strong, just under new management.

I felt the Pizzas in Bellissimo had way to much flour on the base. Its horrible getting a strong taste of flour from the pizza!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

Hi
    Great Thread, good idea.
    Anyway Some Dungarvan ones

Ming Court (Chinese) In the Square
    Best in Dungarvan, Food lovely, Staff Very friendly
    Good Prices. No Service charge on large parties

Sea Palace (Chinese) On the Quay
    Ok, not as good as Mings, Staff are so so, some
    nice some just nasty, a smile wouldn't go amiss sometimes.
    Food is ok, depends on the dish you get

Quasi Lanka (Sri Lankan) In Shopping Centre
    Well What can I say, those who've been there know the score.
    Can't fault the food, really nice, fresh made, lovely.
    The Staff are lovely too, it's the manager that holds all the problems.
    Thats all I'll say on it.

The Tannery Church Street
    Very nice food, tho over priced. It's rep preceedes it.
    Staff again only ok, teh manageress again leaves the show down, seems the only gravitate towards the money customers or supposed money customers.
    Food good, nice for a treat.

Crews Church Street
    Going this saturday, I believe the food is good, book real early for this one.

Bella Notte Main Street
    Food alright, Pizza lovely, staff ok bit bumbling at times, again the manageress can be a bit of an arse, lots of stories go around town about various instances of these manageresses, it's not good for business.

Indian Ocean Quay
    Nice, good staff, bit pricey but generally ok.

There is others if anyone wants to comment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Don't forget to mention Rockett's. Lashings of everything traditional, including the truly Irish atmosphere of kids running around and sports up on the big screen. Great fun, down to earth and guaranteed to fill you up.

Much more authentically Irish than some place in Galway with a turf fire, soda bread and diddly-eyedly music!

scout353 wrote: »
    Bellissimo
    Now on Queen St in Tramore where Sages used to be.

Is that run by the same people who have the restaurant in Ardkeen?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

fricatus wrote: »
    Is that run by the same people who have the restaurant in Ardkeen?

It would seem so, yes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

How long has the Spinnaker been open and they haven't changed the menu, that really annoys me every summer we go out there and the menu hasn't changed.

The Mill - was there a few weeks ago the food was great but I found the service painfully slow. We had to ask 3 separate times for a glass as we were one short on the table.

The Ocean in Dunmore for Bar food is always good there's a good selection on the menu and the curry is ab fab

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

JLemmon wrote: »
    Hi
    Great Thread, good idea.
    Anyway Some Dungarvan ones

Ming Court (Chinese) In the Square
    Best in Dungarvan, Food lovely, Staff Very friendly
    Good Prices. No Service charge on large parties

Sea Palace (Chinese) On the Quay
    Ok, not as good as Mings, Staff are so so, some
    nice some just nasty, a smile wouldn't go amiss sometimes.
    Food is ok, depends on the dish you get

Quasi Lanka (Sri Lankan) In Shopping Centre
    Well What can I say, those who've been there know the score.
    Can't fault the food, really nice, fresh made, lovely.
    The Staff are lovely too, it's the manager that holds all the problems.
    Thats all I'll say on it.

Very nice food, tho over priced. It's rep preceedes it.
    Staff again only ok, teh manageress again leaves the show down, seems the only gravitate towards the money customers or supposed money customers.

Crews Church Street
    Going this saturday, I believe the food is good, book real early for this one.

Bella Notte Main Street
    Food alright, Pizza lovely, staff ok bit bumbling at times, again the manageress can be a bit of an arse, lots of stories go around town about various instances of these manageresses, it's not good for business.

Indian Ocean Quay
    Nice, good staff, bit pricey but generally ok.

There is others if anyone wants to comment

do you fall out with most manager(ess) in every restaurant ??

Lol, No :D
    Honestly they are not up to speed at all,
    right, take Quasi Lanka, if anyone has been there back me up on this,
    the manageress there will come to your table could be at anytime during the meal and start chatting, next thing you know you have her whole life story and history of the business and you don't know her from adam or eve as it my be, this has happened to us on a few occasions and talkin to people around the same applied to there visits.
    The Tannery, she's just a snob, plain and simple.
    Bell Notte, she doesn't like critisism, we have had a few experiences and others also, e.g. one couple didn't want starters and she said you had to have them it's a restaurant not a cafe! plenty more instances too.
    Anyway forgot The Mill excellent, has always been good, new managers now so hopefully it will continue.
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

[QUOTE=JLemmon;5511597

teh manageress again leaves the show down, seems the only gravitate towards the money customers or supposed money customers.

[/QUOTE]

Same sort of thing with a Waterford city restaurant that opened with a big media fanfair but too much fawning to certain business people and ignoring other customers led to this restaurant closing after a short while.

I think I'll try The Mill soon.

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »
    Don't forget to mention Rockett's. Lashings of everything traditional, including the truly Irish atmosphere of kids running around and sports up on the big screen. Great fun, down to earth and guaranteed to fill you up.

Not a great fan of the "new improved" Rocketts. The traditional food has been reduced to a little corner of the menu. I have had the steak there as well as the chicken curry and both were good but I preferred the old Rocketts with just the Ribs, Crubeens, Chicken and Colcannon and cabbage on the menu.

The cook from there moved to Murphys of Clournough when it was taken over by a former customer of Rocketts and the food was exactly the same - lovely!!!

Think she has left there too now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Minfadlek

Did it have a number as the name :) ?

(for Deisemum !)

Minfadlek wrote: »

(for Deisemum !)

No but similar words to Brass and a citrus fruit may jog your memory.

I miss Martin Dwyer's restaurant. The food was always very good. Savannah do good steaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

I posted my review of Savannah in the city thread but in this thread I was giving a cryptic clue to a waterford city restaurant that didn't last too long in business. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

do you fall out with most manager(ess) in every restaurant ??

Have to agree with JLemmon on the Quasi Lanka manager. Went there when it first opened and I'm not going back while she's still there.

The Shamrock, just off the square is a great place for good grub. Great big dishes just like mammy makes them and lovely staff.

deisemum wrote: »

That franchise was started by a Dungarvan man as far as I know. I ate at his first restaurant in Naas and it was superb. Since then I have eaten in a number of the franchises - Limerick, Citywest, Maynooth and Waterford and have to say that the Waterford one was the worst.

A pity given the local connections.

They just didn't give a flying *@~** there!

Not surprised it closed but I hear it is open again under a different name - is it the same food though??

That franchise was started by a Dungarvan man as far as I know. I ate at his first restaurant in Naas and it was superb. Since then I have eaten in a number of the franchises - Limerick, Citywest, Maynooth and Waterford and have to say that the Waterford one was the worst.

Not surprised it closed but I hear it is open again under a different name - is it the same food though??

Not sure if we mean the same place, the place I'm on about had 4 international chefs over 4 nights as guest chefs when it opened.

(for Deisemum !)
    when the place your talking about got an award that was the end of me and and awards, sure they'd givem to your grannie for a price :D

think you maybe thinking of somewhere else there was no local connections as far as I know,
    could be wrong

• Advertisement

These clues pointed me to the Asian restaurant - guess there are a few other citrus fruits too!!!!! :p

Didn't eat in the one you are talking about - but heard the bad reviews!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Minfadlek

Not sure if we mean the same place, the place I'm on about had 4 international chefs over 4 nights as guest chefs when it opened.

"Orange" ya glad it ain't operating no more ;):D
    Good riddence ! (Good first clue !)

and like another poster mentioned, tis easy to pretty much "buy" an award these days !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭jaxy999

Ha Ha had to laugh when I read the comments re the manageress of Quasi Lanka. We had dinner there when it first opened and at one stage I was nearly going to ask her was she planning on sitting down and joining us for dinner! She spend about 10min giving us the low down on the gas explosion that shut them down for awhile and where she bought the glassware (Galway crystel), cutlery, crockery etc etc etc. We also found out she buys all her beef and vegetables locally (no harm knowing that in this day and age). She means well but has to realise her customers want to enjoy each other's company not hers!!!

I know someone who had a bad experience with the manageress in the Italian on Main st (or is it Parnell St ! ) in Dungarvan. When they queried a charge on their bill they got an awful roasting from her! Never again they said

"Orange" ya glad it ain't operating no more ;):D
    Good riddence ! (Good first clue !)

and like another poster mentioned, tis easy to pretty much "buy" an award these days !

Bingo lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

jaxy999 wrote: »
    We also found out she buys all her beef and vegetables locally (no harm knowing that in this day and age).

Don't forget that her fish and shellfish come fresh from Helvick:D. There's 10 minutes I won't get back.

Aw yeah the Galway crystal, there was a reason she won't get waterford can't remember but we got the full story at the time.
    Yeah food is good, just pretend you speak no english when you go in :-)
    One last funny one, we were in there one night and after we had the chat she went off and I reintroduced myself to my wife, as it had been so long since we talked, anyway she was hovering around the counter then she pulled out a big glass of red wine, well ok it's your place fair enough, then she disappeared only to reappear with a plate of food and proceeded to sit on the sofas in the place feet up on the sofa "ateing" the dinner and sluggin back the vino plonko! :-) In front of all the diners. Fawlty Towers Stuff.
    My sister in law was in Bella Notte last saturday night, very quiet, no one there, so they asked could they have a certain table, answer no! so how about another one, NO! So the sister in law said look there's no one here and we want that table whats the problem, yer woman said yeah ok and went off in a huff :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭jaxy999

If belle notte is quiet on a Saturday night that's a bad sign. I passed by during lunch hour one day and I could see the chef leaning against the counter chatting to staff. There had not 1 patron. When it was Flanagan's the food was good and they were always busy.

Well word gets around about a place a weather the stories are true of not they affect business, I've heard alot of the manageress in Bella Notte and I can only say the ones that have happened to us are true but based on what we've witnessed it's easy to believe these stories.
    Crews, was there on saturday, very expensive, the most expensive meal in dungarvan ever. Very nice meal, huge portions, too big maybe, but lovely. Staff were friendly when they engaged you but kept away all night, no one asked was everything ok and the head waiter looked under serious pressure no smiles or anything like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders and that spreads to the rest of the staff if not seen to, they were busy in fairness but they are every saturday night so it's notheing new to them.
    One last thing there is Wine prices in restuarants, We saw on Crews menu Long Mountain Shiraz, common wine, so it was 25 euro a bottle! Went into L&N yesterday, same wine 8.99!!! How can they charge that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tom_Dorley

Glad to see the Waterford Restaurant scene is as vibrant as ever. I tend to spend summers in Dunmore East with my family. Therefore, I can’t comment on any of the Restaurants in Waterford City.

For me the Spinnaker is the epitome of fine dining in a relaxed, family friendly atmosphere. I concur with another contributor, the crab cakes are superb, so too the lamb burger, chicken curry (Thai Style), steak - for that matter anything else (which is in fact everything!) that I have eaten there.

In my opinion, consistency is the Spinnaker’s number-1 strength. I know that my family will be happy with the variety and quality of the food. Anyone with a family will empathize with me on that point. It’s great that when Mum and Dad suggest somewhere to eat, the kids are as excited as you are!!

Summer 2008 looms large on the horizon again. In fact, for our family, regular trips to the South East begin this weekend – we all look forward to the Beach, the beautiful views, great pubs and the Spinnaker!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭pommers

Not a great fan of the "new improved" Rocketts. The traditional food has been reduced to a little corner of the menu. I have had the steak there as well as the chicken curry and both were good but I preferred the old Rocketts with just the Ribs, Crubeens, Chicken and Colcannon and cabbage on the menu.

The cook from there moved to Murphys of Clournough when it was taken over by a former customer of Rocketts and the food was exactly the same - lovely!!!

Think she has left there too now!

she is now out in dunphys in kill food fab out there!!

Advertisement