Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford County Restaurant Reviews..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

hi pommers, haven't heard much from you lately. thanks for the info on the ribs and colcannon. have to plan a trip out to kill

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭pommers

longshanks wrote: »
    hi pommers, haven't heard much from you lately. thanks for the info on the ribs and colcannon. have to plan a trip out to kill

well hello longshanks:D yep food top notch ya gotta get yer sef out there....and as for the deserts yum;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Wheres the best spot to eat in Dunmore East these days? Nothing too fancy, just a few growing young lads looking for a feed.

The Ocean? The Ship? The Strand?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I think The Ship is now owned by the same people who own La Palma and is called Assuri or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

deisemum wrote: »
    I think The Ship is now owned by the same people who own La Palma and is called Assuri or something like that.

Ooh, very posh. Not the kind of place 6 young drunks would frequent I assume.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭netopia789

so i was in bella notte last saterday night very basy thare good food and wine nice staff as well the chaffs are the niceast italins i have might very funny must go next

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Keep on topic please. Off-topic waffle will be deleted.

Topic Cleaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Went to Tiffany's beside the shopping centre in Dungarvan at the weekend.
    The food was good, and mid-priced. They had a decent children's menu with a choice of pasta or spuds as well as chips.
    Had the Thai green curry, my only complaint was that there was too much of it and I felt full before I had even started on it. It was an intimidating amount of food.
    We were in early enough and when we were leaving about 7:30 there was a decent size crowd there.
    Not sure about the Audrey Hepburn theme but it's a good alternative to Davitt's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

fricatus wrote: »
    Don't forget to mention Rockett's. Lashings of everything traditional, including the truly Irish atmosphere of kids running around and sports up on the big screen. Great fun, down to earth and guaranteed to fill you up.

Much more authentically Irish than some place in Galway with a turf fire, soda bread and diddly-eyedly music!

Is that run by the same people who have the restaurant in Ardkeen?

I absolutely love Rocketts. The food is excellent and theres no way your going to go hungry, quality and quantity. Great atmosphere.

Just seen from posts that Rocketts food has changed, what a crying shame :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

The manageress in Quasi Lanka is also the owner, her husband is from Sri Lanka.
    Her Mum is French and she's from Dublin but hey, if you've been in you know this already! :)

The food was ok, not great, but she kept coming over and tutting, picking up bits our two year old had dropped. She also warned us she didn't like kids "running around" in her restaurant. I felt sorry for the girls working there having to wear the Sri Lankan clober but all with running shoes on their feet :rolleyes:

A mate of mine was there and she accused their table of stealing her spoons! Apparently it's a common problem, her table ware is so good people are always making off with the spoons? :eek:

I like "The Mill" food as good as the Tannery, bit more cramped but a lively spot you need to book! "The Tannery" is very good, as it should be, the manageress is a bit frosty but I found the staff excellent. There if you wanted anything, and out of the way while you ate.

I haven't tried the Italian place nearly opposite Mings Court, heard too many bad reviews to chance it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭netopia789

no a harad good things about bella notte what bad did you hear

no a harad good things about bella notte what bad did you hear

That the food was poor, bland and generally unappetising, that service was poor and that the staff aren't treated very well. The thing about the staff was on WLR, I believe a Polish girl was having trouble there?

There was, she's a friend of the GF of one of my mates. I've met the girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Musashi wrote: »
    I like "The Mill" food as good as the Tannery, bit more cramped but a lively spot you need to book! "The Tannery" is very good, as it should be, the manageress is a bit frosty but I found the staff excellent. There if you wanted anything, and out of the way while you ate.

I wouldn't say The Mill's food is as good as The Tannery's. Nice, but not to the same standard. Almost as expensive, but you expect more than a side dish of roast potatoes and pureed veg with your main course. The last time I was there was just after the new owners took over, so I must go again to see if they have changed much.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

callaway92 / netopia789: Its obvious you two have issues, or are connected somehow. Take your conversation or issues to PM. Otherwise, bans will be handed out. How many times do you have to be asked?

Also, netopia789; You obviously have connections with the restraunt and as such will be biased in response. May the owner of the hotel take up the issues with other posters via PM and if need be, come to me before posting publicly defending the place? Just so we are all clear on whats what.

Thanks.

Topic Cleaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

We had my son's confirmation lunch at Alisa in Tramore last Saturday and we couldn't fault anything about it.

It was a set menu and there was plenty of variety on it. The portions were large. 3 of us had roast beef which was tender and succulent. My younger son is a fussy eater but it was no problem to cook something that wasn't on the set menu for him. The homemade bread with herbs and spices is delicious and the manager brought out a second lot.

There were lovely touches such as the confirmation balloons that our son got to keep. Our guests enjoyed everything about it.

We'll definitely be going again. It's one of those places that you come away feeling satisfied and contented.

Aye its always been a popular restaraunt. Always been happy with it, only had one bad meal in there but all other times it was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

scout353 wrote: »
    Not a great fan of the "new improved" Rocketts. The traditional food has been reduced to a little corner of the menu. I have had the steak there as well as the chicken curry and both were good but I preferred the old Rocketts with just the Ribs, Crubeens, Chicken and Colcannon and cabbage on the menu.

The cook from there moved to Murphys of Clournough when it was taken over by a former customer of Rocketts and the food was exactly the same - lovely!!!

Think she has left there too now!

she is now in DUNPHYS in kill village making the best ribs and colcannon in ireland, maggie is her name , some cook

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Anyone visit the new restaurant Bog 'N' Bean in Fenor since it's opened

Thinking of trying it this weekend but can't find a number anywhere. If anyone has any details I'd appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭rohe

think the number was in the munster express about 2 weeks, they done an advertisement on it

you might get it on www.munster-express.ie

havent tried it yet though

• Advertisement

Appears to be a problem with their telephone listing in directory enquiries but for anyone interested its 051 338918!

Went to the Bog 'N' Bean restaurant in Fenor over the weekend so here goes.......

Decor is now all black furniture, probably the old stuff re-painted. The lounging area at the front has now been replaced with more tables and overall the atmosphere is very nice. I like the pictures on the wall of what seems to be local flora but think proper frames rather than those cheap glass clip on ones might actually suit them better!

The menu was interesting and I really was impressed and baffled by the choice - a long time since I had trouble finding something to order because I wanted to try everything!

Went for the Beetroot & Blue Cheese salad but it was extremely poor - tasteless, lacking imagination with no more than a bit of iceberg lettuce and tomatoe and onion.

Ordered the steak which was cooked to my liking and had the wild mushroom sauce whihc was very strong and perhaps I should have asked for it on the side which might be a btter idea in serving it anyway.

Other half fared better ordering from the specials which included grilled tiger prawns with a coconut dipping sauce and John Dorey which was superb. Biggest portions of John Dorey I have seen in a long while.

Desserts were varied and brought to the table to display rather than looking at a menu!

If you want a treat try the Chocolate Martini cocktail - to die for!!!

Overall, prices were very reasonable - under €100 for two and I would go back again - wouldn't order that salad though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 timmyyyyy

sip n surf the internet cafe is great and the food is lovely and the staff are very helpful to

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mr l

Was brought to Davitts in Dungarvan for fathers day and found it to be a nice spot. Food was good staff ok, manager very good with the kids , portions a bit on the small side but the kids got a decent portion. Anywhere thst gives the kids crayons is a plus for me as there busy during the starter, they have there meal with yours then the lollies appear while your havin desert. I found it reasonably priced and the view was fab. Noticed that the bar was very quiet tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Prety much sums it up - steady without being outstanding, and a good spot for a bite to eat with kids. Nice pizza.

I'm not sure how much trade the pub does, the nightclub is where the money is, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Went to the Moorings in Dungarvan lately with the kids, good menu, watched the rugby while I ate on Saturday evening, all enjoyed it, priced ok.

The Interlude also has good eats, cafe style, little pricey.

Has anyone tried the new Merries???

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

Read a couple of posts on here saying that the food in Rockett's has changed... Since the new owners took it over (John Rockett who used to run the Seahorse) the menu has expanded, but the traditional food is still present and correct and as good as it has ever been. I think Rockett's is actually the most consistent place to eat in Tramore. It is quality pub grub - it's not really a restaurant, though it beats some of the restaurants in the area hands down!

Here is my two and six on a few other place in Tramore:

The Pine Rooms is excellent - never had a bad meal in there and it seems to be one place that Freddie has not run into the ground!!

Bellissimo is also alright, but I agree with a previous poster - the meatball starter is often too hot to taste!! I love the starters in there, but I often find the main courses disappointing. Still, it is a welcome addition to Tramore.

The Vic Cafe is pretty good - good food, service and reasonably priced. Recommended.

Asilla is hit and miss, though the last time I was there has been enough to put me off for a long time. My steak was so tough and fatty that I burned more calories trying to eat it than I actually managed to consume and my girlfriends fish was undercooked.

"The world famous" Esquire is the worst restaurant I have eaten in. I have never had a good meal in there, though my folks liked it because the waitress always remembers their name!! They have given up on it too in recent times - the food is not just good in there.

I actually think there is a lack of quality places to eat in Tramore. I would like to see more places offering quality casual dining - something like Limeleaf in town for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭next

Tried the Bog 'N' Bean tonight, we both had steak, salad and chips, have to say it was very good, service is abit slow and they don't check the tables to see if your ok, bill came to just under €40 for 2 main courses and 1 beer,
    its not a place I would go out to dinner to but its great if your hungry and not in the mood to cook or have a take away

Anyone tried maybe The Doneraile restraunt in the Grand Hotel? Supposed to be popular.. tourists love it. Also, the Sea Horse used to be popular (I think it still is, but dont hear much about it since owners changed). Supprised about the Esquire though, iv always found their food to be perfect each time!

• Advertisement

Have to agree with Bwardrop about the Esquire - I have eaten there on many occasions but found it very hit and miss - it just lacks something! If you are heading out for something quick - the bar food in the Esquire is quite good but a word of warning - order one course - the starters and main courses are huge and you will have more than enough in one or the other!

I like the Pine Rooms and their steak is the benchmark for every other place I eat - however, their prices have really increased and a fillet steak is now around €28. It wasn't too long ago it was still €18!

Advertisement