Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford County Restaurant Reviews..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭PetraMac

I found it good too on a recent visit. Dinner for 4 incl. wine coffee and 3 courses for all came to around € 180. The food was of high quality though the menu is a little unadventurous. The service was a bit shaky. Decor really nice and the bar is fab, lovely to sit there having a cocktail while waiting for starters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

In Dungarvan "The Tannery" is by far the best bet.

Paul Flynn is the real deal, and nowhere near as annoying as that Corrigan fecker on the Telly!

Seriously, Flynn is a talented Chef, the food is always good. I once had a poor starter in there, some kind of venison thing? It was only a low point as I shoot deer and butcher my own venison, once you've tasted wild Sika you can't eat farmed Polish Reds! Every meal has been excellent and now I want to go again tomorrow!

I would book ahead to be sure of a table, even in a recession the quality places will be booked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 PortlairgePoser

Yes, loved Banyan restaurant, Tramore. It's classy, with beautiful surroundings and great food. Didn't pay the bill, so don't know what it cost, but will definitely return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭durrus

Didn't know Bella Notte had closed. Great new spot for food in Dungarvan - Nude Food, just off the square. Very good.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

durrus: Wouldnt be so sure its closed. If anyone lives that direction, would apperciate if you could let me know if its open or closed.

That poster seems to be spouting a lot of stuff which he has nothing to support his claims. Was asked nicely to stop, has failed and is now banned.

• Advertisement

Ahhh. Thanks for that clarification. If I'm in Dungarvan I'll check out about BN and post.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Bella Notte is closed..I know the owner..The bought a place in Kilkenny City instead..A Big Bucks deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

callaway92 wrote: »
    Bella Notte is closed..I know the owner..The bought a place in Kilkenny City instead..A Big Bucks deal.

While this is very sad to see it does not surprise me. I passed by this place on numerous occasions but never saw anybody eating there. I don't know what the food is like but it never seemed a nice place to eat. The lights were way too bright and the menu just didn't seem great. Still I hate to see a place close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 sailor_babii

johnnyflav wrote: »
    Have to agree with JLemmon on the Quasi Lanka manager. Went there when it first opened and I'm not going back while she's still there.

The Shamrock, just off the square is a great place for good grub. Great big dishes just like mammy makes them and lovely staff.

Sip n' Surf, Dungarvan - I used to work there. I'll avoid comments. :rolleyes:

Bridgie Terries a.k.a The Pike, Dungarvan - Excellent food. The aunt goes there every week for her mini grill. :D

The Shamrock - I've been going there since I was a little girl. Reasonably priced. But don't mind the old people. They are there for their roasts and tea.

Jumbos - Great greasy chinese whenever you want.

Jitterbeans - Does a great panini.

O'Briens - Average food.

In Dunmore East

Azzuro (The Ship) - Best pizza/pasta. The bfs mother is a fan of the monkfish taglatelle.

The Spinaker - BEST fish and chips I have ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 karenmaryobrien

Hi,
    Does anyone have reviews/opinions about the Banyan Tree restaurant in Tramore (formerly Coast)? Thinking of going on Saturday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭cutback

Is it open? I was thinking of going last weekend but the place looked all closed up. I know that Coast used to close for the month of January so maybe The Banyan Tree is doing the same.

I haven't been there yet so I can't comment on what the food is like.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

See: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055234914

Its open alright as I have family down there atm (I think its that one anyway). No reviews as of yet in the above thread tho.

Have been to Banyan twice and on both ocassions we were very happy with the food. The place has been given a really nice makeover and remains a very stylish restaurant. The menu offered good choice, the prices were reasonable and the service was good. I can't remember now what I ate the last time I was there but I'll be surprised if you are disappointed with it. Sorry I can't be more specific about what we had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MaryKa

Went there tonight, what can I say.... well worth a visit, Veal was on the menu as a special, I've never tasted anything quiet like it absolutely exquisite. Service was second to none and very professional also very friendly which really put me at ease in such posh surroundings. Lots to choose from on the menu, food arrived promptly. Will most definitely be returning!!:D

We ate there last night and it was great!

I got duck for main (24quid) sticky toffee n choc pudding for desert (7quid). The duck was divine and the veggies that came with it were superb! My two friends were well happy with their choices (steak, monkfish). Desert was ok, nothing spectacular. But the place itself is gorgeous, kind of posh, yet still manages to be cosy and not too formal. Really friendly service. Apparently they're bringing in an early-bird menu from next week. Also they do sunday lunches 2 courses for 23quid or around that.

Well recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dm69

Hi,

Ya i must say they have done a super job on the place, i used to end up going to town if i wanted something fancy but now i can stay in Tramore, good value to espically if you take in thecost of taxi a to waterford.yum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭LongAA

Banyan Tree restaurant

The restaurant is actually The Banyan

Which was named after the banyan tree

Going to merge this with the restaurant review thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Have eaten in Banyan and Amore recently - chalk and cheese!!!

Banyan was very poor - menu incomplete with a number of items not available, food not great and while the service and decor was excellent, at their prices, the standards need to be higher!

Was at Amore for an early bird and have to say it was excellent - a glass of wine included in the price for 2 courses which is €19.95 or 3 for €24.95.

Mussels in coconut and chilli were superb and the burger for main course was also very good! Also salmon, chicken and tagliatelle on the menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dixiechick

Had dinner twice and lunch once in Banyan and can't recommend it highly enough. The decor is superb, the service excellent, and the food was fresh and faultless each time. It's hard to find this type of quality restaurant at such reasonable value anywhere. I live in Waterford and I found over the years that I was hard pushed to find a restaurant that I could recommend to friends of mine when they came to visit. A lot of places lack consistency and you don't want someone spending their hard-earned cash on what may only be a mediocre meal. Banyan is on par price-wise with other restaurants in Tramore but you get so much more for your money when you take into account their full bar with cocktail menu, the service and their attention to detail. It's the type of place you can visit if you have something to celebrate, because it feels special and classy but it doesn't have the inflated prices you'd normally expect from this type of establishment. I'd like to see them make a go of it because we need some good restaurants in this area.

• Advertisement

Went again to Banyan for Sunday lunch. Wasn't AS blown away as when we ate there for evening meal.

Got the duck (again!) and it was perfect. But the garlic mash potato bake thingy that came with it was very poor. My sis got the same and had the same opinion. Thai fishcakes for starter were so-so. Two others in our group got the pollock, and were'nt overjoyed, thought it was a bit bland. I had creme brulee with raspberry for desert - gorgeous! - much better than the chocolate sticky toffee pudding (which is lacking in flavour and a bit dry).

Sunday lunch is 24quid for 2 courses, 27quid for 3.

I would probably go back there, but I would be a bit more selective with what I order. Maybe even just stick to mains.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭flan59

Anyone been to the White Horses in Ardmore, saw it as I passed through recently

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭next

flan59 wrote: »
    Anyone been to the White Horses in Ardmore, saw it as I passed through recently
    Ardmore and the Tannery are my favoured rests, but Ardmore up their Price's a wee bit to much last year, last time we went the bill was €156 for starters main course and wine for 2 the food is wonderful the desserts are to die for and they have a very nice wine list but I think they have over priced themselves, if you do book make sure you ask for a table in the front it can get abit noisy down back its got a low ceiling and a tiled floor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭jason&arthur

i personally love the spinnaker in dunmore east; its expensive but you get good portions and its very good food. especially the fish and chips, best mushy peas in the worlddd

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Laurs_civic

Sully wrote: »

Well, I am not a fan of their food your the first person to make such complaints. Its a restaurant that not everybody likes the type of food, and others do. Thats the type of complaints iv ever heard. A lot of people I know also liked it when they have eaten there!

Did your friend get any compensation (in terms of a free meal or whatever) for the incident?

yeah he got his meal free and drinks.. it was a screw off a counter id say looking at it..

can i ask where crews is in dungarvan and where the tannery is ? i can never find anything to eat good in dungarvan.. even if somebody pm's me the directions??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

i ask where crews is in dungarvan and where the tannery is ???

The street to the east off the square is Parnell Street (Main Street), Crews is at the end of this street by the Market House and the Tannery is between the Market House and Crews (beside ABC Properties), happy hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 emz20

Ate here for Valentines and have to admit it was great value.
    E32.50 for three course, Champange and chocolates on arrival.No vegi option besides mushroom risotto which was a let down cuz my other half doesnt like mushrooms. Overall place was nice, romantic vibe but staff leave a bit to be desired. ant knock it tho for value and the deserts were 5star!!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Laurs_civic

The street to the east off the square is Parnell Street (Main Street), Crews is at the end of this street by the Market House and the Tannery is between the Market House and Crews (beside ABC Properties), happy hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Nude Food!

Ask for "Subway", ignore it, and two doors down is yer man!

Slow roasted Pork Belly, Rosemary Spuds and a roasted butternut squash, I was loving it! The kids Cumberland Sausage, proper beans in homemade tomatoe sauce and herby potatoe cakes was delicious. Herself had a savage garden salad as the tummy was unwell (and no she's not pregnant!).

Consistently good food over the last four or five visits, a sort of boutique cafe feel but the food is hippy organic excellence. The best of local, well cooked and good for you, but so tasty you hardly notice it!

Get the coffee, well worth a trip for the Americano alone, depth of flavour and all the oils present and correct! I think the waiter is Moroccan so that may count for something?

The seating area is small and like your grans sitting room, this was the Bean A Leanna pub once upon a time! You can see into the kitchen, buy artisan breads and desserts, great wine selection!

I give this a hearty recomendation, and I am the guy that told Paul Flynn that I cook nicer chicken than he does! In fairness I've had the Poussin in "The Tannery" and it was lovely. I do think what I do with Chorizo and cream, lemons and goose fat is a contender though! :D

Paul, if you read this, I do apologise for interrupting your night. In my defense Peter was leaving the Sea Palace and I was fairly drunk!

I have seen the Tannery Cooking School with the large glass wall!

Looks good and I may attend (if Paul has forgotten who I am).

Failing that, I'll offer to sharpen all the knives for the cookery school and restaurant to make amends, Japanese water stone, oil stone or convex sharpened, Paul's choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭next

looking forward to trying it out next week

Advertisement