Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford County Restaurant Reviews..

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭joeduggan

Trotter wrote: »
    I go there quite a bit and I really enjoy the food. It is on the pricey side though, but I find that most places are.
    ive been once and if i got a free meal for the place i wouldnt go back , and i wouldnt be that fussy about my food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

joeduggan wrote: »
    The Pine rooms - Tramore - nice food - way too dear. prices have gone up in the recession!! - staff okay

Was in the Pine Rooms recently and could not believe how expensive it has become. The great attraction for me was the excellent food and in particular the steak which was always superb. However, there was never anything exciting about the food (thinking of the veg!) - it was always cooked to perfection and almost like home cooking! Now though it is too expensive. IIRC the steak has gone from €18.95 to €28 in the space of a year or so. That puts it outside the "Let's pop down to the Pine Rooms for a steak!" category!

Pity!

Was in Dublin recently and found an Italian in Castleknock where two starters (chillie garlci prawns and a goats cheese tart) , two mains (Seafood pasta and a Calzone), a bottle of wine and 2 coffees was €65. Excellent value!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Villierstown

Hey I'm New On the site ;),
    I was just wondering was anyone in crews restaurant recently was thinking of going there this weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Ok,

I haven't contributed much to this or the Waterford city thread, and I hate to be someone who only turns up to moan, so I will go back and give fair dues to some good places at some stage after this post.

So.

The Ocean Hotel Restaurant.

We went on a Friday night. The place was pretty empty (warning sign no. 1).
    This place was recommended to my folks by my uncles, who had only be there on a Saturday night.

I don't know if they have a different chef during the week, but they do have a deal for €57 for three courses per couple, including a bottle of wine.

Anyway, we were seated near the window. The view and the general decor was pretty nice.

We asked for water, which came without glasses, so we had to ask for more glasses when the wine arrived as we had used the wine glasses.

Sometime around this stage we asked for napkins, which never arrived.

We were a party of four, and the starters consisted of two portions of crab claws, fish cakes and chicken caesar salad.

The fish cakes and the caesar salad were ok (often received better in a pub) , but the crab claws were overcooked (like rubber) and also very bland. They had a bog standard bechemal type sauce on them which tasted of flour.

Very dissapointing to receive seafood like this within view of the harbour.

Mains were two servings of sea bass, confit of duck, and monkfish and prawn.

Although the duck wasn't terrible, all of the seafood left alot to be desired.

Both myself and my partner could taste a faint 'mildewy' taste from the seabass (for want of a better description) ... the same taste you can get from prawns sometimes that have been frozen and defrosted too quickly ?

Apart from that, the fish was slightly overcooked and very bland. It also had the same bechemal sauce as the crab claws. Neither of us could finish it despite being very hungry.

Fresh fish can be bought at Dunmore harbour every morning within spitting distance of the restaurant. There is no excuse for not having fresh produce, even if you are going to use the same sauces and veg on multiple dishes.

Dessert was very underwhelming also.

Can you tell I was not impressed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 salome74

I completely understand......
    We have noticed recently so many places are so disappointing....
    and they do not offer value for money.
    Sick of going out spending hard earned money and getting poor food.
    we actually walked out of a place in Dungarvan tonight just before we were due to order ...................
    ( embarrassing and something I really would prefer not to do)
    but basically the menu had nothing exciting on it and an 8 oz fillet steak was €31.95...WOW where do they think they are?? have these people any idea of Ireland Today??????

we like to eat out regularly but..... SORRY ..... refused tonight to spend that silly money...
    we ended up going somewhere else , having two main courses , two desserts a bottle of wine and two coffees for the price of two steaks in the first place....... the restaurant was a lovely looking place but ridiculous prices , a 9 oz fillet steak in its neighbours restaurant is ONLY €26.95 and is of excellent quality with lots of side orders included in the price ...
    As bad an all as it was to walk out it would be worse to have paid those prices...............

rant over for now.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

not exactly a restaurant but.....
    if you like a donor kebab, in Dungarvan, the pakistani lads where JR's used to be do the best donor I think I've ever tasted. Anyone that knows me will know I love a donor and these boys have it sussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ocos

Was in Asilia in Tramore at the weekend. Very tasty food and very reasonable at € 59.00 for 2 for 3 courses and bottle of wine!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭PWR

There on Sunday, 4 of us, E130, two tasting menus and two regular choices. very good, nice atmosphere, lovely room, good food, particularly the 5 spice duck. Well recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

showry wrote: »
    not exactly a restaurant but.....
    if you like a donor kebab, in Dungarvan, the pakistani lads where JR's used to be do the best donor I think I've ever tasted. Anyone that knows me will know I love a donor and these boys have it sussed.

gonna try that place
    heard it was good ok
    nothing like 20 pints and eating a nice kebab of the front of your jumper:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Roanmore wrote: »
    The Indian that replaced Bella Notte has closed and a new Italian has opened there. Haven't been in there yet but have seen a few people in there (more than I ever saw in Bella Notte)

I went into the Indian (Taste of India) when it first opened. Myself and my wife had a lovely meal and the service was excellent and good value. When leaving we said we'd be back.
    About 2 weeks later we got a take away. One dish was King Prawn Tikka Masala and when we opened it there was only 4 prawns. It cost 15 euro including rice. My wife rang to complain and they said because they were big that's all they give (they were no bigger than what we got elsewhere). Anyway we said we won't be going back and they said that was our choice being real dismissive about it. When we saw the place was closed we weren't a bit surprised. I hope the new place is more successful.

Update on this place, the Italian restaurant which came after the Indian one has also closed (about 2 weeks ago). Walking by there today there is now a new place in there which had it's first day today. It's called Robbie's Fresh Food Hall and serves carvery lunch, soups sandwiches etc. Don't know if it opens late or not. We went for lunch and had soup (nice to get Mushroom soup where the mushrooms are not liquidised to pieces) and a sandwich which was standard fare. The carvery did look very good and all the tables were full except two at the back of which we took one. I think the Robbie in question is Robbie Barry who runs Bialann in the shopping centre.
    Anyway I hope it lasts longer than the previous 2 tenants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Goblindancer

scout353 wrote: »
    Not a great fan of the "new improved" Rocketts. The traditional food has been reduced to a little corner of the menu. I have had the steak there as well as the chicken curry and both were good but I preferred the old Rocketts with just the Ribs, Crubeens, Chicken and Colcannon and cabbage on the menu.

The cook from there moved to Murphys of Clournough when it was taken over by a former customer of Rocketts and the food was exactly the same - lovely!!!

Think she has left there too now!

Totally agree with this comment on Rocketts. Years ago it used to be nice - a real traditional pub with food to match. The new management gutted the inside and made it all fake "Oirish" pub inside. Menu is mostly overpriced panini-type food. The outdoor area for kids is a dismal boring lawn with a couple of small shrubs in the centre, one activity centre and a boggy, smelly septic tank area on one side. Nothing compared to the wonderful area and amusements for kids in Jack Meade's.

dixiechick wrote: »
    Had dinner twice and lunch once in Banyan and can't recommend it highly enough. The decor is superb, the service excellent, and the food was fresh and faultless each time. It's hard to find this type of quality restaurant at such reasonable value anywhere. I live in Waterford and I found over the years that I was hard pushed to find a restaurant that I could recommend to friends of mine when they came to visit. A lot of places lack consistency and you don't want someone spending their hard-earned cash on what may only be a mediocre meal. Banyan is on par price-wise with other restaurants in Tramore but you get so much more for your money when you take into account their full bar with cocktail menu, the service and their attention to detail. It's the type of place you can visit if you have something to celebrate, because it feels special and classy but it doesn't have the inflated prices you'd normally expect from this type of establishment. I'd like to see them make a go of it because we need some good restaurants in this area.

I totally agree. Was very impressed when we ate there recently. Couldn't fault anything. Really good menu, nice food, enough of it, nicely presented, great decor, nice service, worth the money. Hopefully this one will succeed, because, agreed, Tramore needs a classy restaurant like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 holdenp

Went to the Sumatra today for a quick sandwich with my mother. The service was disgraceful. We waited nearly 30 minutes with no joy. Then the waitress said there were some issues in the kitchen (for a panini???). We heard them ordering it again so we decided to leave. Very angry.
    Avoid this place and don't confuse it with the Bodega (next door, very good).

Agreed. Was there before xmas for a breakfast. Waited aaaages (can't remember exactly) and then got the wrong order. Never going back. They know I was unhappy.

On a happier note, was in La Boheme on saturday and it was fab. Everything was yummy and nice atmos too. We weren't happy with one thing and it was rectified immediately with a smile. Can't wait till I can afford to go back:D

Advertisement