Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for hunters/shooters

Options
  • 11-02-2008 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello, i'm interested in hunting and wondering what is the best type of gun to buy for a semi-beginner. I have about a 2-3k budget and i currently live in NY state.

I have shots rifles many times before, my grandfather was a sniper and taught me how to shoot. i currently have a few airsoft and BB rifles which i practice with so I am a decent shot from about 200-300yards. I have used his rifle while hunting and my farthest hit was from about 330yards currently.

However I am not sure what kind of gun to get for myself. I have done some research and looked into 30-08 rifles but would like some imput from more experienced hunters.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Hi nevrakian, and welcome.

This is an Irish shooting board, so to be honest, you're unlikely to get much 'first hand' experience/advice here on firearms and hunting in NY state.

Could I suggest that you might get better feedback on a U.S. based forum?
    The High Road is a superb spot for this sort of thing, with plenty of helpful and experienced shooters/hunters in your own neck of the woods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

depends what you want to shoot, i would say the obvious go for a .22 for a couple of hundred dollars to start off, but if you have done a bit of centrefire shooting already you just need to get a rifle that suits what you're hunting and range etc.. have a look for a range or clubs in your area, im sure they will be able to help you more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nevrakian

Ah. didn't realize this wasn't an american board but its more about the guns rather than the actual area since I know where to go for that.

Ive been looking at a Browning A-bolt 30.08 with a Tusca EXP scope. The rifle itself is appx $800 and the scope is another 300 or so. I was wondering if that is a reasonable first gun for a fairly experienced shooter (granted i am only 18 atm) with a decent price. i also go hunting in russia (where i grew up) so im looking for something that is powerful while being easy to move with.

edit: to the post above im looking for a gun that is good for big game (elk,deer,moose,bears) so the 22 is a bit small. was looking at the 38 but heard bad things as it is too heavy to hunt often with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

You related to Ivanthehunter then ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nevrakian

not that im aware of but who knows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

If you are gonna hunt in Russia, check for calibre restrictions before you purchase

Advertisement