Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing Ram

Options
  • 11-02-2008 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

I tried installing a 1 gig stick of ram into my dell but the pc just wont pick it up, have you any ideas where im going wrong or have i been sold a pup

Cheers
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

are you sure you got the correct type of ram for youre motherboard?, cause it sounds like either its the wrong type, OR the ram is indeed a dud

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mcgrailg

hi both cards are pc3200's and have a clock speed of 400 just noticed tho that the existing card is cl3 where as the new is cl2.5 does that make a difference

hmm, seems as though it does matter. cant help ya so

thanks for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Have you tried the new stick on its own?

Different cache levels should not matter.

• Advertisement

hi pacifico, i have tried the ram on its own but its just beeps like crazy and will not boot up

Its faulty then unfortunately.

Where did you buy it?

off flea bay - should have known

where is the cheapest place to buy ram online lads ?

I've 2x 512 sticks of Crucial Ballistix PC4000 RAM you can have for cheap, if its any use to you. http://www.legitreviews.com/article/262/1/

Or you could try:

www.komplett.ie
    www.dabs.ie
    www.memoryc.com

• Advertisement

mcgrailg wrote: »
    off flea bay - should have known

u should name n shame the buyer so we can steer clear, i bought pc3200 ram from e-bay aswell n it never worked, i sent it back for a promised refund, never saw either replacement ram or refund again. bzboyz.com (AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!) also, feel free to sign this (sam@bzboyz.com) email account for lots of spam email :) (revenge :D)

Pacifico wrote: »
    I've 2x 512 sticks of Crucial Ballistix PC4000 RAM you can have for cheap, if its any use to you. http://www.legitreviews.com/article/262/1/

Or you could try:

www.komplett.ie
    www.dabs.ie
    www.memoryc.com

Cheers Pacifico its actually PC3200 RAM im looking for otherwise we could have done a deal, so if anyone has some for sale let me know :D

u should name n shame the buyer so we can steer clear, i bought pc3200 ram from e-bay aswell n it never worked, i sent it back for a promised refund, never saw either replacement ram or refund again. bzboyz.com (AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!) also, feel free to sign this (sam@bzboyz.com) email account for lots of spam email :) (revenge :D)

It was a seller called Fastmemoryman, only after i bought it did i do a search for him in google (stupid i know) and it came back with plenty of horror stories !!!! and i dont hold out much hope for a refund (esp as the charge a 6gbp admin charge to process a refund)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

mcgrailg wrote: »
    Cheers Pacifico its actually PC3200 RAM im looking for otherwise we could have done a deal, so if anyone has some for sale let me know :D

pc4000 is compatible with your board. It will just revert back to pc3200 speeds. Initially pc4000/4400 was released for overclockers, but itc completly backwards compatible.

thats good news pm sent to pacifico

Howya Lads,

Been on to the crowd who sold me the ram and they want to know the make and model of the motherboard, i had the thing open last and i could not see anything just a dell sticker, i presume its just a stock motherboards in their pc would anyone know what boards are in the Dell dimension 1100 ?

Cheers,

Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Just give them the Dell model number, Dell have their own boards in them (usually), but all Dimension 1100's generally use the same board.

Dell's are also very picky for RAM, as you have found out, the stick you bought would probably work fine in 90% of other systems. www.shop4memory.com for example allow you to pick RAM guaranteed to work in a Dell.

Cheers astro, i had emailed Dell and was waiting on them to get back to me which they have since done - Thanks

Hi,

the seller has come back to me and said that he sent high density memory but mine can only take low density, and if i want to return it it would could more as low density costs more !

just asking does this sound about right to you, i want to make sure as i said he has a pretty bad rep on ebay and i dont want to throw more money at him

thanks

Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It sounds like the Dell can only handle memory chip sizes below the one you got is. e.g. 256mb ram can come in 8 32MB chips, or 16 16MB chips.

The cost of manufacure of a 32MB chip is virtually the same as a 16MB chip, hence the 16 x 16MB chip RAM is more expensive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement