Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Metro Xtra 5mb 50Gig in Cork City

Options
  • 11-02-2008 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just moved back to Cork City just off Barrack Street (Green St) and was thinking of getting the Digiweb Metro Xtra service cause I can't get a phone line into my apartment. I know I need to have LOS to a Digiweb transmitter so:

Does anyone know the location of the nearest Digiweb transmitter to Barrack St (Green St)?

Anyone have the Metro Xtra 5mb service and what has your experience of the service been...ie.average downloads speeds?

Regards,
    hideous.ape.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Digiweb are located in Churchfield, Collins Barracks and Farmers Cross so you'll need line of sight to one of these locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭real_484

I would also recommend novanetworks in Cork. Another wireless service that I have had for the last couple of year and have found very good.

The Home Express 3M from Nova seems way overpriced at €69 a month.
    Digiweb are doing 3mb for €34 a month or even their 5mb Xtra is going for €59 a month.

I'm guessing that all wireless connections have serious drop off in terms of download speeds. My main use is downloading and streaming live football which worked ok on a 3mb BT landline connection in my last house so I would like to be able to continue watching my beloved hair-pulling Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

I'm just off Barrack St. also and have been using Chorus (now UPC) cable internet for the past 2 odd years. I'd be very interested to see how the €35/month wireless DigiWeb service is also as of late Chorus speeds have been $hite.

It seems ever since the merge between NTL & Chorus, the connection speed has decreased. Irishisptest.com tells me now most evenings I am on under 512kbps download whereas before the merge the connection speed reported was usually around 2.3Mbps (paying for 3Mbps).

Am seriously considering a switch to another service because of this drop, but I have my doubts about wireless...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Quite a large area of Cork City has LLU access to Smart, Magnet, BT etc..

If you can get Smart go for it, the speed, reliability and unlimited downloads are all very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Solair wrote: »
    Quite a large area of Cork City has LLU access to Smart, Magnet, BT etc..

If you can get Smart go for it, the speed, reliability and unlimited downloads are all very impressive.

regards Smart - thing is I would rather not go for a broadband solution where I require a phone line. that's the main advantage Chorus has going for it

Have to agree about Smart, lived in a house with Smart a year ago and it was excellent.

In my current situation I also cannot get a landline into my new apartment so wireless is the only option.

Does anyone here have the Digiweb Metro Xtra 5mb service in Cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 duffman_ie

Hi everyone,

I'm on the Digiweb Metro Xtra 5mb service in Cork (by Sarsfields Road). We've had Digiweb for about 3 months now and the service has been okay..ish. The service has been down a number of times and the telephone support is useless. The only advice they give is to reboot the modem, after that they'll "ring you back" which they invariably never do. We only upgraded from the 3mb to the 5mb package a few weeks ago. One thing that annoyed me was after upgrading the package they never increased the speed and we had to chase them to increase it although they were charging like they had.

Just did a speed test (from speedtest.net) there and we're getting 4310kbps/488kbps. I would probably recommend Digiweb but that's only because they are the best of a bad bunch. Was previously on Nova Networks and we found them terrible. When it worked it was ok but when it broke down it took forever to come back up.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Thanks for that Paul. Looks like I'll be giving Digiweb a call then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement