Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Capello v Trapattoni

• 11-02-2008 7:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Barring some disaster between now and Wednesday - Trapattoni will be the new manager for the ROI soccer squad.

Since we have done pretty much exactly what the English have done - who has done the best deal here in your opinion? Both managers are the best Europe has to offer really in terms of potential international managers. Both managers are World Class regardless of their 'defensive' style they both have in common.

Capello's CV
    Italy:

Scudetto: 1991/92, 1992/93, 1993/94, 1995/96 (Milan); 2000/01 (Roma)2004/05, 2005/06 (Juventus)
    Runner-up: 2001/02, 2003/04 (Roma)
    UEFA Champions League: 1994 (Milan 4–0 Barcelona)
    Runner-up: 1993 (Marseille 1–0 Milan) 1995 (Ajax 1–0 Milan)
    European Super Cup: 1994 (Milan 2–0 Arsenal)
    Supercoppa Italiana: 1992, 1993, 1994 (Milan); 2001 (Roma)
    Runner-up: 2005 (Juventus)
    Coppa Italia Runner-up: 1997/98 (Milan); 2002/03 (Roma)
    Spain:

La Liga: 1996/97; 2006/07 (Real Madrid)

Trapattoni's CV

Manager
    AC Milan
    Coppa Italia:
    Runner-up: 1974–75
    Juventus
    Serie A: 1977, 1978, 1981, 1982, 1984, 1986
    Runners-up: 1980, 1983, 1992, 1994
    Coppa Italia: 1979, 1983
    Runners-up: 1992
    European Cup: 1985
    Runners-up: 1983
    Cup Winners' Cup: 1984
    UEFA Cup : 1977, 1993
    European Super Cup: 1984
    Intercontinental Cup: 1985
    Internazionale
    Serie A : 1988–89
    UEFA Cup: 1990–91
    FC Bayern Munich
    Bundesliga: 1996–97
    Runners-up: 1997–98
    German Cup: 1997–98
    AC Fiorentina
    Coppa Italia
    Runners-up: 1998–99
    SL Benfica
    SuperLiga: 2004–05
    Taça de Portugal
    Runners-up: 2004–05.
    FC Red Bull Salzburg
    T-Mobile Bundesliga: 2006–07

Sorry if a little confusing - quoted from wiki;)

Anyway who has done best here in your opinion - the Engish FA or the FAI? In my honest opinion the FAI has (never got to say that before!) - they got (ooops may get) a world class manager of at least equal status with Capello for less dosh. (Capello gets £6 million a year from the FA).

Since both appointments are similiar in going for a big name Italian - who has done better in your opinion?

And just for fun - who is the best of the two?:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Trap was mentor to Capello, wasn't he? Capello played for him or was an assistant or something?

Trappatoni's CV post-1990 looks a bit worse off than pre-1990.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Overall all things considered, i think we've done better in that we're paying significantly less, and more importantly we're a small country with a rubbish recent past, we're not world beaters and have no chance of actually winning the EC or WC.

England are a far greater draw for a manager. Great players and a chance to win something, as well as huge wads of money.

Capello is undoubtedly the better manager (among the top 5 in the world imo), but Irelands coup is the more exceptional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

England. Trapattoni arguably has a superior CV but then he's been around for a lot longer. And now he's probably too old. He also failed with Italy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pm4jD5kU4U

Italy 2002 - robbed - absolutely fleeced;) Hard to judge him against the backdrop of this tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Who would of thought our new managers cv could be comparable to Capello a few months ago :D

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote: »

Italy 2002 - robbed - absolutely fleeced;) Hard to judge him against the backdrop of this tournament.
    Don't forget about their Euro 2004 debacle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Capello is undoubtedly the better manager (among the top 5 in the world imo), but Irelands coup is the more exceptional.
    Yep.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

if it was who would you prefer then easily Capello sedpite tthe lack of prior international experience, and I think most people would agree. However who is a better appointment for their respective association, probably Trapattoni because England are expected to appoint a manager of that quality Ireland are not. Look at his predecsor (staunton) or the other people interviewed Venables, Davies etc

Gonna play the devils advocate here because many think Capello is the best man narrowly.

Is this ageism? Should we not be saying - the man has the biggest CV - the most experience? - as opposed to 'he is too old'? AFAIK he runs and trains now 'like a man half his age'..........and his training sessions are serious but still a good craic. Are we being harsh with the age thing? Capello is younger but apparently has enormous respect for Trapittoni and speaks very highly of him. Remember both are equally defensive and have a conservative style of play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

For **** sake, he's like 3 years older than Ferguson. Ferguson will be coach at UTD next year, Trappa will be doing like 10 games a year.

In relation to Italys failure, first point, the Danes and Swedes had a little conspiracy going, Cassano's goal should have meant qualification.

Now remember we are Ireland, not Italy. Trapattoni will have a far greater impact on our players me thinks. This is a great day.

• Advertisement

For **** sake, he's like 3 years older than Ferguson. Ferguson will be coach at UTD next year, Trappa will be doing like 10 games a year.

In relation to Italys failure, first point, the Danes and Swedes had a little conspiracy going, Cassano's goal should have meant qualification.

Now remember we are Ireland, not Italy. Trapattoni will have a far greater impact on our players me thinks. This is a great day.
    A great day for Ireland will be the day we qualify for a major championships again. I'm not gonna get too excited about any manager taking over until I see results on the pitch.

As for age, Trapattoni probably isn't past it but is definitely past his best. A lot of people were saying that about Ferguson 2 years ago and it's still debatable. Trap has had scattered success with various clubs across Europe since the end of the 80s and early 90s, much like Sir Bobby had, but nothing close to a European Cup or anything.

And whether you believe it or not, he did fail with Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Barring some disaster between now and Wednesday - Trapattoni will be the new manager for the ROI soccer squad.

well done. you have now jinxed the appointment. because of the fundamental forces of nature and there seeming inability to penetrate into the board room of the FAI it's a guarantee that Trapp won't be appointed. you should feel proud of yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Ive never been too excited about Capello. The whole Beckham thing at Real strikes me as showing he can let his own petty vendettas get in the way of the teams good, and I wouldnt be surprised if, like Van Basten in 2006 with Van Nis, or Givens in the last two games, he would make decisions influenced by petty girevances and grudges.

So there you have it. WC quarter final. Regards Beckham as too old for WC 2010. Doesnt play Rooney. Stephen Ireland with a hatrick for Trappas Army to send them home :D

You read it here first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

kinaldo wrote: »
    A great day for Ireland will be the day we qualify for a major championships again. I'm not gonna get too excited about any manager taking over until I see results on the pitch.

As for age, Trapattoni probably isn't past it but is definitely past his best. A lot of people were saying that about Ferguson 2 years ago and it's still debatable. Trap has had scattered success with various clubs across Europe since the end of the 80s and early 90s, much like Sir Bobby had, but nothing close to a European Cup or anything.

And whether you believe it or not, he did fail with Italy.

I agree with just about all of this, but wtf is Sir Bobby?

Oh, and for what it's worth, Capello is not just better, he is top in the world, unequalled in club success. Remains to be seen if he can do it at this level though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

shane86 wrote: »
    Ive never been too excited about Capello. The whole Beckham thing at Real strikes me as showing he can let his own petty vendettas get in the way of the teams good, and I wouldnt be surprised if, like Van Basten in 2006 with Van Nis, or Givens in the last two games, he would make decisions influenced by petty girevances and grudges.

Except that he put the petty grievances with Beckham behind him, brought him back into the team, admitted his mistake and went on to win the league...

shane86 wrote: »

So there you have it. WC quarter final. Regards Beckham as too old for WC 2010. Doesnt play Rooney. Stephen Ireland with a hatrick for Trappas Army to send them home :D

You read it here first.

What he did with Beckham was a spot of genius. Beckham has always played best when he has something to prove, he has a ridiculous ego. Had Capello not treated Beckham that way I think it's pretty much a sure thing that he wouldn't have played that well. and he's now playing in a piss take of a league, which will probably speed up his decline as a footballer. Any manager would be daft to be considering Beckham in his plans. maybe he'll have his Indian summer, you never know. but i think that league win the Real was his swansong. and i'm pretty sure Beckham thinks that way, i dont think his Ego would have allowed him to go play in the states otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Except that he put the petty grievances with Beckham behind him, brought him back into the team, admitted his mistake and went on to win the league...

He shouldnt have had them in the first place, or at the very least certainly shouldnt have aired them to the media/fans. Did anyone think Givens downing Stephen Ireland on tv was adviseable? Same situation basically.
    What he did with Beckham was a spot of genius. Beckham has always played best when he has something to prove, he has a ridiculous ego. Had Capello not treated Beckham that way I think it's pretty much a sure thing that he wouldn't have played that well. and he's now playing in a piss take of a league, which will probably speed up his decline as a footballer. Any manager would be daft to be considering Beckham in his plans. maybe he'll have his Indian summer, you never know. but i think that league win the Real was his swansong. and i'm pretty sure Beckham thinks that way, i dont think his Ego would have allowed him to go play in the states otherwise.

Genius? He pushed a player out of a club, then realised he needed him after all, and Beckham had the upper hand.

Now its a case of either

a- Take revenge and not play him even if he is fit

or

b- Beckham will be out of form anyway from playing in the LA Sunday League after work standard team. The US thing died before it began because he was unfit so often he fell out of the public eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Trap has finished in the top 2 in the league 17 times, winning 10. Top 2 in domestic cups 7 times, winning 3. Twice has been in the European cup final, winning 1. 3 UEFA cup wins. 1 Cup Winners Cup win. 1 Super Cup and 1 World Club Championship.

32 medals in his 33 years of management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Trap has finished in the top 2 in the league 17 times, winning 10. Top 2 in domestic cups 7 times, winning 3. Twice has been in the European cup final, winning 1. 3 UEFA cup wins. 1 Cup Winners Cup win. 1 Super Cup and 1 World Club Championship.

32 medals in his 33 years of management.
    And still there are clowns texting NewsTalk saying Venables should get the Ireland job.

that post I quoted needs to be stickied for the duration of Trapp's tenure, and pointed to when clowns on here start to question his appointment and decisions, and then when the players once again capitulate, I can point and say "I told you so".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

lol at the suggestion that Venables comes close to Trapatonni in terms of coaching expertise. Idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

thats just unbeleiveable i noticed that eejit graham poll was one of the brutal officals :rolleyes:
    and i am/will be very happy with trappotini the man has a wealth of experience and is a winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

its going to be so strange to hear dunphy,giles,brady and alot of journalists et all actually supporting a manager from the start, will be really unusual that they will actually have respect for him!! And the mood with the supporters is generally positive after so many names (many dodgy!) being bandied about.

So the man might actually be given a chance to get the side organised, without the oirish sun etc turning up with a kermit the frog suit after the first dropped points.

I hope it goes well for him if he is appointed, the Italy matchs should have an extra bit of spice to them also!!

Regarding the Capello/Beckham Madrid thing, i think he wanted to drop him because of his ego, as did sven, but at the end of the day when you have van nistlerooy or need delivery from dead balls and crosses there aint too many better than him, its a serious option and an easy option for goals in tight games....a goal is a goal at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

kinaldo wrote: »
    England. Trapattoni arguably has a superior CV but then he's been around for a lot longer. And now he's probably too old. He also failed with Italy.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there only 8 years age difference between the two? Are you actually going to give him a chance, or are you happy enough pooh-poohing his time in charge before he even begins?

Anyway, sour pusses aside, these are exciting times!

I dont think many realise the enormity of this appointment. Saver the words - this is a World Class manager - how often can we say that!? He has possibly the best CV in Europe. How did we go from 'the gaffa' to this!?:eek: Its like full circle from crap to the best.

On Setanta they said when they mentioned the Trap's appointment ''Thats a turn up for the books''

Why does everyone keep spelling Trapattoni's name wrong:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

we're not Italian imo.

Seriously who is fecking over the moon?

I can't stop talking about it to be honest. I am so so happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Because it's non obvious that there's two t's toward the end of his name just from pronunciation (by the Irish), seriously, there's other things to worry about, and there's a forum called spell czech's where you can vent these frustrations to the vocal minority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Seriously who is fecking over the moon?

I can't stop talking about it to be honest. I am so so happy.

There's a difference between being happy and making requests for him to have his own forum -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055235206

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Why do people insist Capello was involved in Beckham not playing for real madrid.
    It was the president.
    read the guardian for fuck sake
    the tabloids will ruin your mind.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    There's a difference between being happy and making requests for him to have his own forum -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055235206

Lighten up like, its a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lighten up like, its a joke.

Not a very funny one really to be fair. Sure he hasn't even been appointed yet! In 25 years time we'd have a forum for some long dead Italian bloke who was once linked with the Ireland job.

It was hardly going to cause a LOL reaction, more tongue in cheek to be honest.

No see Xavi your mistaken, a long dead Italian who was the first world class manager Ireland ever had.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Not a very funny one really to be fair. Sure he hasn't even been appointed yet! In 25 years time we'd have a forum for some long dead Italian bloke who was once linked with the Ireland job.

You could make a forum temporarily.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Why do people insist Capello was involved in Beckham not playing for real madrid.
    It was the president.
    read the guardian for fuck sake
    the tabloids will ruin your mind.

i dont read the tabloids or the guardian either, to be honest neither is going to be 100% accurate on something that involves personalities and egos as large as capellos,beckhams and the president of real madrid, who im sure was quite happy for beckham to play and help and shift millions of jerseys......

There was never any personal vendetta or fallout between the two as some here believe. When Beckham failed to sign a contract extension with Madrid and then signed for LA Galaxy, Capello naturally thought he would no longer be 100% committed to Madrid's cause, so decided not to figure him into his plans. Beckham proved him wrong in subsequent training sessions so Capello went against his president (who was personally offended by Beckham's contract snub) and restored him to the team, which proved to be a masterstroke and also showed great humility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

this thread is soooo Irish.

Capello is a better appointment than Trappa. But then the English job is a far far far more attractive and well paid job so they should be able to attract the top canditates. They did.

We have done excellently attracting Trappa. But Capello is the man.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    this thread is soooo Irish.

Capello is a better appointment than Trappa. But then the English job is a far far far more attractive and well paid job so they should be able to attract the top canditates. They did.

We have done excellently attracting Trappa. But Capello is the man.

what makes you say that though? i'm not too familar with either too be honest but they seem like very similar managers, quite conservative if i'm honest. the only obvious difference is Trappa has had an unsuccessful experience at international management, but seeing as Capello has had none so far you can't really say he'll be better.

and Lloyd, the fact Venables mightn't be as good a coach will make sweet feck all different. it's good man management skills thats needed for the international game.

Both equally good IMO. On balance very little between Trapattoni and Capello. Capello interestingly has huge respect for Trapattoni and ive heard speaks very highly of him and calls him 'Sir'. Trapattoni far more experienced but Capello younger (though only by 8 years?) and fresher.

If you go through the various elements of both their history's it really does balance out even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

If this falls through you will be able to hear the hearts of football fans around Ireland collectively break. Fingers crossed it goes ahead anyway.

Advertisement