Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get rid of Nasturtiums

Options
  • 11-02-2008 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

Hope someone can help here - have a 8ft by 10ft rockery at the front of the house. Gets the sunlight all day. Last year I dug out all the Nasturtiums I could find hoping to get rid of them and planted roses and Azaelas, lavender etc.

Everything was doing great then the Nasturtiums started rapaging again - pulled them up as I saw them but to no avail - it practically killed everything else. I am going to pot everything thats still alive in to seperate pots with fresh compost so I dont carry over any seed.

My problem now is how do I kill the seeds that are now covering the top soil and the roots below - will normal weed killer do the job for both seed and root. If not what can I do? Getting desperate at this point so any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

AFAIK weed killers will only kill what is actively growing, and the seeds won't be for a while yet. pulling them up before they seed is the enviro friendly way, as they are annuals. Takes time and you have to do it at least every week but you can leave it until before they flower.
    If you are using round-up or the like you still have to wait until they're in leaf.

It seems like you would have buried a few too so it may take longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

You could treat the area with Casoron G or something similar but unfortunately it remains active for at least 6 months and nothing in top 100-150mm will grow. Does not affect deep rooted stock like trees and/shrubs.

Otherwise task is difficult with such a successful self seeder as handpicking would be a labour of love.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

My problem now is how do I kill the seeds that are now covering the top soil and the roots below - will normal weed killer do the job for both seed and root. If not what can I do? Getting desperate at this point so any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Soil solarization could be the solution to cleaning your soil demanufactured.
    Its as chemical free as you can get, if you don't mind using some plastic.
    Some pointers on how to do this...... Solarize your soil, non-chemical weed and disease control.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Could you not rake them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

UB wrote: »
    Could you not rake them out?

Cast them out;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭plasto

I had Nasturtiums once.....it drove me mad with the itch!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I never had any problems with nastritums and I sow quite a few. I find most of the seeds that do fall to the ground don't grow at all. They are usually swelled with water and rot.

All I can say is keep pulling them and try and scoop up as many seeds as you can:(

Handy link there irish gardener;)

Advertisement