Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any word on new shops etc coming to limerick

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

rebs23 wrote: »
    Limerick has had massive retail development on the outskirts, more than any other Irish City (excluding Dublin). Something like 150,000 sq m under construction/planning or just completed. It probably has more suburban centres than Cork and Galway combined.

As for being able to accomodate all of that, the population statistic of 700,000 seems to be a gross exaggeration when you consider the pop of the whole of the Mid West is 360,000 (Limerick County,City, Clare County and North Tipp). You must be including half of Cork to get you anywhere near the 700,000 or even part of Galway? I would hazard a guess and say that the vast majority of Cork and Galway people do not or would not even consider travelling to Limerick for their shopping so the potential of Limerick having 700,000 people in its catchment area is non existent.

Contrast that with the fact that there are 500,000 people living in Cork City and County (350,000 living within 15km of the city centre) and 230,000 living in Galway City and County. Those figures would not include people in Mayo & Clare who live within an hour of Galway and do their shopping there and the people living in South Kerry, South Limerick and Waterford that are within an hour of Cork city.

It will be interesting to see over time the effect of the massive retail development in Limericks suburbs. By contrast in Cork there are two massive City Centre Shopping Centres under construction and a planned conference/event centre. Unfortunately Limerick City Centre seems to be under threat from suburban development. There is also the added problem of not enough night time venues and cultural activities available in the city centre. Unfortunately everything is in the suburbs.

Just quoting figures from a recent article on Shannon. I don't see why someone from (say) South Limerick would always choose to shop in Cork, any more than I would expect that people from North Cork might end up in Limerick.

There is the Opera Centre due to be built in the city centre and the plans to redevelop Arthur's Quay etc.

Agree about the lack of night time venues, but we're discussing shopping, not clubbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I saw a Smyth's Toys flag flying by the entrance to the Ennis Road Retail Park (alongside Jetland) so I guess they may join the new petshop there.

Anyone got any idea what is next in the Coonagh Cross Centre? It was expected that the rest of it would open by Easter...

Hurray, now i'll never have to cross the shannon again except to go to work.

Any truth in a KFC opening out in the coonagh place. They'd want to do something out there, anytime i'm out in Tesco's coonagh, it s rather quiet, not a fraction of the dunnes jetland business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

agree about Coonagh being quiet but lets be realistic...all thats there is Tesco. Until the other units open whats the point in making your way out to that part of the city?..driving past Dunnes in the Jetland which is an excellent shop by any standard,its massive..and has a great selction of everything
    I thought Tesco were mad to open there before any other unit.....its not that big really either and its stock doesnt really make it a must visit type of shop. tesco are closing in Shannon though so I am sure they will get some custom coming from that side now as well. Having it as a 24 hour is just ridiculous really..how many 24 hour shops does Limerick need..we have a good few at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Do we need 24h supermarkets at all? I never had an urge to buy a bottle of milk at 3 in the morning... How many people do that? As i have never bought anything at this time in the night I don't know how busy the shops are. Are thay that busy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

You'd be suprised how many people shop in the middle of the night actually, handy for people with little free time during the day or do the night shift etc.

Tesco closing in Shannon thats strange, first time I ever heard of a tesco closing
    sure how much business does the one in roxboro get yet its still going

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

its to do with the redevlopment of Shannon town centre. Their unit is to be knocked and redeveloped. Dont know if they are going back there. Supposed to be. Major plans for Shannon town so who knows what will happen there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Do we need 24h supermarkets at all?

The 24 hours is mainly not for us, its for them, saves on OT for restocking shelves, easier whens there's SFA people around.

Agree on you'd be amazed by how many people do shop after midnight, do regularly myself and there's always 2 or 3 others doing it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sosulio

As for being able to accomodate all of that, the population statistic of 700,000 seems to be a gross exaggeration when you consider the pop of the whole of the Mid West is 360,000 (Limerick County,City, Clare County and North Tipp). You must be including half of Cork to get you anywhere near the 700,000 or even part of Galway? I would hazard a guess and say that the vast majority of Cork and Galway people do not or would not even consider travelling to Limerick for their shopping so the potential of Limerick having 700,000 people in its catchment area is non existent.

Contrast that with the fact that there are 500,000 people living in Cork City and County (350,000 living within 15km of the city centre) and 230,000 living in Galway City and County. Those figures would not include people in Mayo & Clare who live within an hour of Galway and do their shopping there and the people living in South Kerry, South Limerick and Waterford that are within an hour of Cork city.

I think the real figure is close at 320,000 within 45 minutes of Limerick. See Pic.

Also worth noting that it takes 2 hrs+ to drive across galway and I know people who have travelled from North Galway to Limerick and have stayed overnight specifically for the Christmas shopping available there. Shopping in Galway is a non-runner in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Interesting map sosulio, course, I'll have to be cheeky and say the way I drive Galway and Cork are also within an hour of Limerick!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rebs23

Interesting map sosulio, course, I'll have to be cheeky and say the way I drive Galway and Cork are also within an hour of Limerick!
    You're not the only one. I can make it from Blackpool SC to the Cresent in 55mins! I don't know should I be boasting about it though.:o
    Seriously though imagine if we had a proper motorway between the 3 cities you could live in one, commute to the other (I do anyway), shopping/going out etc, etc.

• Advertisement

You're not the only one. I can make it from Blackpool SC to the Cresent in 55mins! I don't know should I be boasting about it though.:o
    Seriously though imagine if we had a proper motorway between the 3 cities you could live in one, commute to the other (I do anyway), shopping/going out etc, etc.
    Commute is a bit much but ya I see your point, we havent quiet got as bad as the Dublin planning mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

We now have a Laura Ashley as I discovered today...they kept that quiet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

Do we need 24h supermarkets at all? I never had an urge to buy a bottle of milk at 3 in the morning... How many people do that? As i have never bought anything at this time in the night I don't know how busy the shops are. Are thay that busy?

Ah they're great for an aul munch run at 3AM!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

ninty9er wrote: »
    We now have a Laura Ashley as I discovered today...they kept that quiet!!!

I know! :p
    walked past it today and was like "woah that came outta nowhere"
    opening tomorrow!

DO I even want to know what this Laura Ashley shop is (im guessing another ann summers type maybe?) were is it? beford row?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

1huge1 wrote: »
    DO I even want to know what this Laura Ashley shop is (im guessing another ann summers type maybe?) were is it? beford row?

Its on henry street, beside the Marriott. From what i saw waitin for the bus, its got womens clothes, couches and curtains in it. Dont think ill be goin in there any time soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ken4doon

cathyb03 wrote: »
    Just walking down bedford lane today and things shaping up nicely. Pamela Scott's womens clothes shop has a unit reserved but beside this and M&S coming to the crescent sc in 2009 does anyone know of or hear any rumour about any new business coming to town?;) Thanks!
    Bedford Row will soon become one of Limericks hubs in terms of retail outlets and avilability of shops!! With Diesel, JacknJones, Schuh, Laura Ashley and Clarkes already open were awaiting Tom Tailor,Tommy Hilfiger and Pamela Scott to open soon, hopefully within a few months. Further down the line a new state of the art shopping centre will open across from these shops, with names like Espree ready to open its doors. Things are looking good, if parking was free in the city centre ar weekends then the mass development of retail parks outside the city centre would have firm competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

ken4doon wrote: »
    Bedford Row will soon become one of Limericks hubs in terms of retail outlets and avilability of shops!! With Diesel, JacknJones, Schuh, Laura Ashley and Clarkes already open were awaiting Tom Tailor,Tommy Hilfiger and Pamela Scott to open soon, hopefully within a few months. Further down the line a new state of the art shopping centre will open across from these shops, with names like Espree ready to open its doors. Things are looking good, if parking was free in the city centre ar weekends then the mass development of retail parks outside the city centre would have firm competition.

I havent heard about this before. Do you mean nevada smyths, cafe on the row and so on?

Its beside Limerick travel. You c'ant miss it, its got huge glass windows!!

A Shopping Centre?
    Sure it's tiny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Any news on the rest of the units in the Coonagh Cross shopping centre?

Willstev wrote: »
    Any news on the rest of the units in the Coonagh Cross shopping centre?

Boots, Thorntons, TK Maxx, Halifax, Eason...
    That's what I've heard don't know how true they all are.
    Think Boots, Thorntons and Halifax are pretty concrete

Limerick finally getting a second easons.

Not a fan of the one in the city centre, like its grand but could be bigger (look at the ones in patrick steet cork and o connel st dublin)

Its gona be like powercourt in Dublin from what i no, or like BT in Galway!!!! Its does go back a good bit nd der'l be a few floors on it also!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

1huge1 wrote: »
    Limerick finally getting a second easons.

Not a fan of the one in the city centre, like its grand but could be bigger (look at the ones in patrick steet cork and o connel st dublin)

There's a reason why those city's have bigger easons' (because those city's are bigger. )

There's a reason why those city's have bigger easons' (because those city's are bigger. )
    Ya thanks for pointing that out... but its just I just don't like easons in Limerick much, too crammed together and bad design (I know its a old building), just because its a smaller city doesn't mean we can't have a big easons.

Boy do I feel stupid for going on about the size of easons...

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Cateym

Having lived away for almost 5 years I'm amazed at Limerick everytime I come back...there is some new shop, new hotel, new retail park. It's way overdue but very welcome. Give it a few years and it will be a really good shopping spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Boots, Thorntons, TK Maxx, Halifax, Eason...
    That's what I've heard don't know how true they all are.
    Think Boots, Thorntons and Halifax are pretty concrete

Thorntons has been pushed back. It was due to be opening this week coming, but now looks like it will be a bit longer before it opens there.

On the topic of Coonagh, I've heard from a reliable source that Tesco there isn't doing as well as they thought it would!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

On the topic of Coonagh, I've heard from a reliable source that Tesco there isn't doing as well as they thought it would!

Considering its proximity to the Jetland and the fact that that's been on the go for nigh on 30 years at this stage with a big customer base, I'm not surprised.

Advertisement