Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any word on new shops etc coming to limerick

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Not at all surprised by that bit of news. I've been there three times and each occasion staff came close to outnumbering customers.

Not a bad location (not great but not bad) but the shop itself is awful. A huge amount of floorspace dedicated to all kinds of homewares, clothes, electronic cack and only a few aisles of groceries. Don't most people go to Tescos for their groceries? If you aren't covering the basic requirements of the average shopper then you're not going to sell all the value add stuff because they won't come back.

I've been to some of the Tesco superstores in the UK and the choice and variety of foods was amazing and the larger square footage of the stores means that they can carry the additional non FMCG stock without impacting on the core business. Here they seem to be trying the same ratio of FMCG and "other" goods but teh smaller stores means that they don't then have the space to carry the full range of groceries and regular weekly shop stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

On the topic of Coonagh, I've heard from a reliable source that Tesco there isn't doing as well as they thought it would!
    Doesnt suprise me all that much, coonagh had so much potential but messed it up in my opinion. Whatever happened to the place having a cinema?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

1huge1 wrote: »
    Doesnt suprise me all that much, coonagh had so much potential but messed it up in my opinion. Whatever happened to the place having a cinema?

The cinema was knocked on the head some time back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

id say tho it could be a good investment as coonagh is noe eithin the city boundary and all of a sudden theres a planing ap for 400 houses in that ares..place is gona be huge in a few years time nd locals will avail of the shopping centre too

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

That tesco is awful. Started doing my weekly shop there a while back just for a change. You would pick something up that you like but when you try and buy it the next week they dont have it in stock. The shelves would be have empty a lot of the time aswell. Dunnes Stores is head and shoulders above Tescos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Boots, Thorntons, TK Maxx, Halifax, Eason...
    That's what I've heard don't know how true they all are.
    Think Boots, Thorntons and Halifax are pretty concrete

Halifax.....the insurance crowd (or are they a bank lol :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I know I seem to bring this up quite often, it literally seems like there is nothing going on here(Coonagh Cross). You can peer in the front of the main entrance, and everything still inside seems like a building site. There is a new building been built on the grounds also , anyone know what that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

coonagh cross - empty
    jetland (outside) - half empty
    east retail park - half empty
    delta retail park - half empty
    opera center - will it ever come?
    roxboro SC - *cough*
    new buildings all over the town - "retail units to let"

Childers road retail park-FULL
    Parkway retail park-Almost full

As for eastway, despite it been open for a few years not and not having filled all shops the one's that are there do a good business, especially B&Q

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

coonagh cross - empty
    jetland (outside) - half empty
    east retail park - half empty
    delta retail park - half empty
    opera center - will it ever come?
    roxboro SC - *cough*
    new buildings all over the town - "retail units to let"

theres a fair few empty units inside the jetland too!

• Advertisement

Childers road retail park-FULL
    at least one! *sardonic laughter*
    Parkway retail park-Almost full
    almost...
    As for eastway, despite it been open for a few years not and not having filled all shops the one's that are there do a good business, especially B&Q

Yeah, great! I suppose TESCO in Jetland is doing well too...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Willstev wrote: »
    There is a new building been built on the grounds also , anyone know what that is?

That's the retail park part.
    Apparently B&Q are going in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Roxboro Shopping Center is to be knocked and to be moved to where Fulflex used to be ....cant work that one out...what is needed is variety with all the new shops that have come prices and choice have remained exactly the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I know you wont know, but the hell would be the point of another B&Q.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

There really is no pleasing some people, people need to accept that it can take ages to rent out a unit and there's nothing especially unusual about it taking time to fill up complexes.

I know Limerick is starting from a low base but we need to take a longer term view of these shopping centres. In time, Coonagh Cross will probably be as big and as ugly as the Crescent, anyone remember how poor the Crescent was in it's first few years?

Of more concern to me is the continual improvements in the city centre, William st. refurbishment is due to start pretty soon and hopefully that will really change the look and feel of the city centre, as well as the plans for redeveloping Arthur's Quay etc.

Btw, was chatting to someone loosely involved with the Opera centre and work is due to start this summer. Not gospel but the guy I was chatting to had no reason to make stuff up about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

That's definitely not true, they're already enforcing cut backs in Limerick despite having a much lower cost and staff base than Cork. They will however be re-fitting the current warehouse top give it more of a "shop" feel.

ninty9er wrote: »
    That's definitely not true, they're already enforcing cut backs in Limerick despite having a much lower cost and staff base than Cork. They will however be re-fitting the current warehouse top give it more of a "shop" feel.

The original coonagh cross plan said B&Q
    So they must have been interested at one stage if Coonagh had B&Q's logo on their plans.

Anyway, do we really need another DIY/Garden Shop in Limerick?

The original coonagh cross plan said B&Q
    So they must have been interested at one stage if Coonagh had B&Q's logo on their plans.

Anyway, do we really need another DIY/Garden Shop in Limerick?

A proper garden centre wouldn't do any harm. The one in Coonagh is a bit squashed and Van Veens is a bit far out. the Homebases and B&Qs aren't really up to scratch on this type of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Yeah, great! I suppose TESCO in Jetland is doing well too...

There is no Tesco in Jetland, its called Dunnes Stores :rolleyes:

There is no Tesco in Jetland, its called Dunnes Stores :rolleyes:

You're right! I ment in the context the TESCO in Coonagh Cross. However, with all those half empty similar retail parks you can mix up things a little bit.

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    There laying off jobs at B&Q you say? I thought the place did a fairly good business, I know someone who works there and all.

To top it off I applied for a summer job there the other day, I'm due to be called in for a interview.

There leaying off jobs at B&Q you say? I thought the place did a fairly good business, I know someone who works there and all.

To top it off I applied for a summer job there the other day, I'm due to be called in for a interview.

Rationalising working arrangements would be more suitable, don'think anyone's been let go. My mam works there, has done since it opened with a short stint in Boots for a few months before going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Not sure if this has been posted here before, but here's some info on the new Park Valley Shopping Center being built in Castletroy.

http://www.bannon.ie/brochures/parkwayvalley0.pdf

➥ 73,000 sq.m. gross floor area
    ➥ 47,000 sq.m. retail space
    ➥ 3 anchors
    ➥ 75 shop units
    ➥ 13 restaurants
    ➥ 1,788 car spaces
    ➥ 15 acre high amenity public park

Anyone know how this compares to the Crescent in size?

In the post today they were advertising jobs for a new foodcourt in Arthurs Quay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

rosboy wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted here before, but here's some info on the new Park Valley Shopping Center being built in Castletroy.

http://www.bannon.ie/brochures/parkwayvalley0.pdf

➥ 73,000 sq.m. gross floor area
    ➥ 47,000 sq.m. retail space
    ➥ 3 anchors
    ➥ 75 shop units
    ➥ 13 restaurants
    ➥ 1,788 car spaces
    ➥ 15 acre high amenity public park

Anyone know how this compares to the Crescent in size?

whats the bets, that it will be the SAME shops as are in town, another next, or river island or similar. A bit of choice wouldn't go astray. Not everyone likes next or river island. Not picking on them, just an example...

In the post today they were advertising jobs for a new foodcourt in Arthurs Quay!

Aren't they knocking that place down...

Oh and BarryCreed I believe M&S plan to have a store at the parkway valley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 samhain's son

There is a little sign up in the Jetland today saying that they are no longer open 24 hours a day and that the clothes side will be closing at 10 and the grocery side will be closing at 12. Guess this means that they are not doing too well either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

There is a little sign up in the Jetland today saying that they are no longer open 24 hours a day and that the clothes side will be closing at 10 and the grocery side will be closing at 12. Guess this means that they are not doing too well either.

That's a pity, but not altogether surprising. Tesco still 24 hour?

That's a pity, but not altogether surprising. Tesco still 24 hour?
    Maybe I'm getting mixed up but isnt it Dunnes in the jetland?

On another note that I didn't think deserved its own thread, could anyone help me out here

I was in a internet cafe today on upper william street (a little bit up from subway), as you walk in it looks like a dvd rental sotre but in a side room they have leather seats with x box 360's and PS3's and a internet cafe, could anyone tell me the name of this place as I was very impressed with it.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

Probably LOL! (Limerick-on-Line Internet Cafe) at 52 William St.

Advertisement