Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SiR Civic

Options
  • 11-02-2008 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭

Going to look at one of these for a mate tomorrow, 1993 1.6 SiR Civic. This one.

Anything in particular to look out for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

€5,500 for a 15 year old Civic is just crazy money imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

"Anything in particular to look out for?"

yeah - a thing called service history.. which it probably more than likely doesnt have :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The seller is not that reputable, google them to see what is said around the net.

If he really wants one why not import one himself??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

bazz26 wrote: »

thats how much SIR's go for mate.

look for the usual standard stuff that you would check on any car, ie. oil, build up around the cap etc

check the vtec cross over point, it should be at 5800rpm (will show 6000rpm on clocks with delay), make sure its crisp and and powerfull if you know what i mean.

check the exhaust, as its probably aftermarket, make sure its solid and fixed securly and not leaking anywhere.

C_Breeze wrote: »
    "Anything in particular to look out for?"

yeah - a thing called service history.. which it probably more than likely doesnt have :rolleyes:

Valid point but in fairness, on a 15 year old car the best you could hope for is a patchy service history at best.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

jonny24ie wrote: »
    The seller is not that reputable, google them to see what is said around the net.

If he really wants one why not import one himself??

probably too late now with the new VRT rates etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Valid point but in fairness, on a 15 year old car the best you could hope for is a patchy service history at best.

Well regardless of year, if something was priced at over 5 grand to me it would have to have some service history at least if i was buying.

My MX-3 has every single receipt & stamp in a bulging big leather wallet .... oh and its a 94 ;)

My MX-3 has every single receipt & stamp in a bulging big leather wallet .... oh and its a 94 ;)

In most cases though in Ireland this is the exception rather than the rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Who suggested a service history on a 15 yo Jap import:rolleyes:

Look out for:
    1. rusting rear wheel arches
    2. bad CV joints/burst gaitors
    3. worn out trailing arm bushes (big bush in the big arm in the rear susp)
    4. Leaking P30 end cap (seal on end of camshaft). Cheap easy fix tho.
    5. Leaking rocker cover gasket. Also a cheap easy fix.
    6. Dodgy ABS
    7. No hesitation in the rev range, esp lower revs (ignition coil)
    8. Evidence that the timing belt has been done recently.
    9. Stuff kceire has mentioned
    10. VTEC in bigger letters than DOHC on the valve cover
    11. That the "catalytic converter overheat" light still works

I do agree tho that 5.5k is a lot for a car of its age. Better cars can be had for less.

A. Your car is a recent UK import. UK car owners are anal about SH.
    B. Are you keeping up the full Mazda service history?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

JHMEG wrote: »

Look out for:
    6. Dodgy ABS

I do agree tho that 5.5k is a lot for a car of its age. Better cars can be had for less.

Cheers JHMEG thats exactly what I was looking for.

I doubt he will pay full whack for this if he decides to pursue it, anyway its not my dosh so the price doesnt really concern me.

Full service history isnt really likely on a car this old and not essential in any purchase, I and a lot of people I know service their autos themselves ,my two cents. But thanks anyway.
    kceire wrote:
    check the vtec cross over point, it should be at 5800rpm (will show 6000rpm on clocks with delay), make sure its crisp and and powerfull if you know what i mean.

Im not familiar with SiR's but have driven later model Vtec civics and ITR's before, should the Vtec have the same kick to it in an SiR of this vintage?

Anyone care to PM with whats meant to be so dodgy about this dealer? Tried googling it and go 0 results.

Cheers as usual for the quick and informative replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

kceire wrote: »

look for the usual standard stuff that you would check on any car, ie. oil, build up around the cap etc

check the exhaust, as its probably aftermarket, make sure its solid and fixed securly and not leaking anywhere.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=869280

much newer, probably cleaner, no rust, spoon mods.
    this thing will put out 180+bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Would you think about the newer model vti? should be around the same price for a 1996 one.
    The problem is getting one that hasn't been abused, which most of these unfortunately are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

This is a cool civic......... Maybe I'll get it in 15 years!

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/03/2008-honda-civic-type-r-sedan-by-mugen.html

Senna wrote: »
    Would you think about the newer model vti? should be around the same price for a 1996 one.
    The problem is getting one that hasn't been abused, which most of these unfortunately are.

Not for me, just going to look at it for a mate at home in Cork. He had a standard 1.5 Civic, same shape, for his first car and has been on a nostalgia trip about them for the last few months.

No, I dont understand it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Anything in particular to look out for?

A better car.

Plug wrote: »
    A better car.

Constructive and helpful. Thanks plug. :rolleyes:

What pray tell is a "better car"? Bear in mind its not for me, the guy thats looking at it has owned Mivec Lancers, Pajeros, Landcruisers, Avensii (sp?), Omegas, Various 3-series coupes E30 + 36 (Not a 316 anywhere in the bunch though!) and other Civics. Any of them fit your bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Not true that just because the car is 15 years old it won't come with service history, When I bought my Honda Del Sol it came with full history, all original manuals, receipts for everything it ever had done, it's a 92 and in two years al i've had to do is replace the clutch, starts every time, drives smooth and she's 16 years old now.

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Im not familiar with SiR's but have driven later model Vtec civics and ITR's before, should the Vtec have the same kick to it in an SiR of this vintage?
    I'm not sure the vtec cross over is at 5800rpm in that car. I think it's more likely to be somewhere between 5200 and 5500. Closer to 6k is really Type-R country.

@Irishcrx: Del Sol being a Jap car, did you get a service history from Japan too?

That 96 SiR is also over priced imho. A '99 or 2000 Civic Coupe VTI would get that kind of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I'm not sure the vtec cross over is at 5800rpm in that car. I think it's more likely to be somewhere between 5200 and 5500. Closer to 6k is really Type-R country.

@Irishcrx: Del Sol being a Jap car, did you get a service history from Japan too?

That 96 SiR is also over priced imho. A '99 or 2000 Civic Coupe VTI would get that kind of money.

hes open to offers too, youd prob get it for 6,5, sure a spoon ECU will set you back the guts of a grand anyways!!!!!
    thats not including the new alloys etc on it. only 60k too, afaik the spoon ecu lowers the V-tec kick in too to aroun 4800rpm, and highers the rev limiter to 9k rpm or so.
    and VTi civics aint as good as SiR, that SiR has at least 180bhp
    nice lil sleeper, doesnt look too boy racer-ish, unlike the cop magnet in the first post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Look out for:
    6. Dodgy ABS

Super post, I actually replaced most of these on my previous cars!

check whether the car is blowing smoke. Biggest problems with dohc vtecs are the valve stem seals and the piston rings. If she hasnt had regular oil changes or been driven hard while low on oil you'll need an engine rebuild.

Started from cold if she blows blue smoke out the exhaust it'll be the stem seals if she smokes blueish on high revs walk away, a cloud of grey smoke is ok as the ecu overfuels on vtec but blue smoke and its rebuild time.

Dont be too worried about service history, if she's got all the things jhmeg pointed out and isint smokey and pulls well she'll be fine.

A little offtopic but most people dont understand just how quick these little fellas are. ~160bhp, very good fuel economy and cheap tax along with 0-60 in under 7 seconds and quarter mile in under 15.5. They're a seriously underrated car and would outperform many a larger car on a twisty road and straight line.

Never called up to see it lads, did a search on Per4omance Cars here and didnt like what I saw.

Rang him up anyway, asked the usual questions, he said he would have to check his files for the auction sheet and that I couldnt take a test drive unless I was buying the car that day and had a deposit down. No thanks.

Cheers again for the help, I think the lad is looking at another Mivec Lancer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

ffs, no test drive unless buying?

In fairness I'd say they are plagued with test pilots.

The fact they paid a fraction of that to import it and won't give you any warrenty is even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

kceire wrote: »

Is it true you can block the exhaust with a cloth temp and the engine should shut off. A buyer did this to a motor bike of mine without asking and i was shocked, even after he explained. It didnt shut off. Is it a good test? Does it damage the vehicle?

If no -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

ronoc wrote: »
    The fact they paid a fraction of that to import it and won't give you any warrenty is even worse.

Total anal sphincter talk from you. A grade 4 SiR or SiRII averages €2000-3000 at auction, factor in shipping, vrt and vat and youre left with little change from 6k. Thats the reality of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Didn't get a history from Japan you never do only the UK but it was imported in 94 so I was only missing two years...great little car the CRX they go for less than the SiR civic have the same 160 hp Vtec engine and for the summer you've got a convertable..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Heard bad stories about Per4mance cars alright.

Bunch of cowboys is too kind a word!

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

5,500 euro for a tarted up pensioners car? I'm not even taking the year into account. Buy a real car , not a muppet motor.

• Advertisement

groupb wrote: »
    5,500 euro for a tarted up pensioners car? I'm not even taking the year into account. Buy a real car , not a muppet motor.

Read the thread before posting, its not for me. A mate asked and I obliged. And as I said to the previous guy, what constitutes a real car in your book?

How many pensioners drive SiR Civics round your way??

Mods feel free to close soon enough, I'm done here.

Cheers to all that posted with info and reccomendations.

Advertisement