Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no display with 2 sticks of ram

Options
  • 11-02-2008 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

My display works when i have a 1g stick of ram inserted but not when i have 2. the screen just stays blank. And i have alternated with different slots and the ram to check for duds but all seems to be ok until i put the two in and start the comp.....just no display. could it be that i need to activate dual channel or something? The computer starts fine and i can hear it away just the graphics card and no visual.

any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

How many slots have you for the RAM, if its 4 make sure your using slots 1 & 3 or 2 & 4

Also check http://www.shop4memory.com/ and check out how much RAM your motherboard can take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

im guessing they are not identical sticks of ram by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

i have 4 slots. they are identical 1gb sticks of the geil ultra low latency ram.

I have alternated between the 1&3 and so on like that.

the comp starts up fine with display with just 1 module of ram.

since i have not yet installed windows on this system i am guessing that its just an issue with the fact that none of the devices and drivers have been installed.

The reason i was inquiring was because i am having bsod problem and freezing mid windows installation. I thought that it might be related to the ram issue. things are now getting past the windows logo and going into the windows setup and installing the devices but it freezes 3/4 through this. so annoying.

thanks for the help anyway. if you have any further advice that would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭x keo21

What motherboard is it btw?

its an Abit Fatal1ity fp-in9. It can hold up to 32gb of ram. not that i would need that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

start with one stick and try it in every slot and see if you can get the screen on and if you get into the bios check it out from there and see if there are any issues but just make sure its in properly. are you sure the graphics card isn't the issue? is everything turning on and booting including the hard drives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

bogwalrus wrote: »
    its an Abit Fatal1ity fp-in9. It can hold up to 32gb of ram. not that i would need that.

I had this board myself. Never had any problems with it. I've had it running and installing on everything from 512mb to 8gb in every possible ram configeration plausable. Maybe a bios flash to the latest might be a good idea.

i flashed to the latest bios last week. It went smoothley.

the two bits of ram work fine as when either of them are installed in the computer things run fine (except for the freezing half way through windows device install but this i believe is a video card driver problem) The display gets lost though when they are both in together. the computer turns on but since i cant see anything from no display i cant tel if it is booting or if there are any error messages.

Could it possibly be that the driver on the graphics card (or something along those lines) is just not compatible until i install the drivers from the cd i got with it when i get the windows up and running.

Is there a way of installing the new drivers for this 8800gts 640mb during the installation of the windows xp and then maybe trying that.

Im really just guessing here though it seems to be the only thing really. unless there is some setting on the bios where i have to turn on dual mode or something?

thanks for the help guys, keep it rolling though;)

Advertisement