Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which tool to use for designing a website logo

Options
  • 11-02-2008 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

I need to design a logo for my new website. I have Adobe Photoshop CS. Photoshop I find is one of those programs that I've tended to use sporadically. When I try to use if for the first time in 7 or 8 months though I feel almost like a newbie again and it can take ages to figure out the simplest tasks. Are there any simpler tools to use to do fancy website logos or website graphics in general.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Yes / No ...

Open source there is http://www.inkscape.org/ quite a cool vector editing piece of software

I've only fixed up one logo with it but the results weren't bad and it'll output to SVG to boot :)

Apart from that there are logo apps but to be honest results are strange ...
    do a google for logo software and you'll see what I mean ...

still if its for you its for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

http://www.gimp.org/

it's free, powerful, and it's easy enough to use/learn....

nevf wrote: »
    http://www.gimp.org/

it's free, powerful, and it's easy enough to use/learn....

God no ... if he has Photo Shop why bother ? useability with gimp leaves a lot to be desired in my experience

forbairt wrote: »
    God no ... if he has Photo Shop why bother ? useability with gimp leaves a lot to be desired in my experience
    Meh, it was a pain in the arse to get used of, but it does the job....

....and the fact that it's free, helps... if it was commercial, I wouldn't pay for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭php-fox

better ask for professional help.. The logo won't be that expensive. But you'll get quality and nice appearance..

• Advertisement

nevf wrote: »
    Meh, it was a pain in the arse to get used of, but it does the job....

....and the fact that it's free, helps... if it was commercial, I wouldn't pay for it...

Hence he's got PhotoShop stick with that and don't go learning something completely different at least he's the experience with photoshop :)
    php-fox wrote: »
    better ask for professional help.. The logo won't be that expensive. But you'll get quality and nice appearance..

Depends on who you approach really but you may get something quite cheap compared to how many hours / days it'll take you to design it and be happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

I've found this quite useful and easy to use

http://www.getpaint.net/

ianhobo wrote: »
    I've found this quite useful and easy to use

http://www.getpaint.net/

Similar to Photoshop ? in terms of UI / experience or have you used it ?

Yes I've used, I actually only downloaded it at the weekend.

It's similar to Photoshop while being different :)

Gimp is much more photoshop than this, I would say this is more like MS pain on drugs ha ha

I found it very easy to quickly do what I wanted with some gif logos that I have (removing backgrounds and the like)

But my experience so far has only been a few days worth, but I reckon I'll be opening it again :)

ianhobo wrote: »

I found it very easy to quickly do what I wanted with some gif logos that I have (removing backgrounds and the like)

But my experience so far has only been a few days worth, but I reckon I'll be opening it again :)

Cheers for the info ... but it doesn't sound like a Vector editing tool for logo creation ? more of a friendly painting graphics tool ?

• Advertisement

yep, correct. sorry, i tried out a lot of different programs over the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

For logos ? Illustrator, definitely. Can be expensive though!

pontovic wrote: »
    For logos ? Illustrator, definitely. Can be expensive though!

yeah hence I linked to inkscape ... and open source vector editor. Its quite nice really and quite handy to get to grips with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Thanks all for the advice and tips. :)
    php-fox wrote: »

The problem with going down this route is that it's out of my hands. If I want to make changes to it at a later date, I probably won't have access to the layers etc, that I would do if I created it myself, though i suppose I could ask for the source files as part of the deal. The expense issue is not really the problem for me but the lack of hands on creative control turns me off that route, not that I'm totally ruling it out though. I noticed at www.sitepoint.com they had logo compettions with the winner getting paid, only checked out one but it seemed quite good what they did.

luckylucky wrote: »
    I noticed at www.sitepoint.com they had logo compettions with the winner getting paid, only checked out one but it seemed quite good what they did.

You could go down that route and request source files

luckylucky wrote: »
    The problem with going down this route is that it's out of my hands. If I want to make changes to it at a later date, I probably won't have access to the layers etc, that I would do if I created it myself, though i suppose I could ask for the source files as part of the deal. The expense issue is not really the problem for me but the lack of hands on creative control turns me off that route, not that I'm totally ruling it out though. I noticed at www.sitepoint.com they had logo compettions with the winner getting paid, only checked out one but it seemed quite good what they did.

Yep, if you can do it yourself, then do it yourself....
    ...or at least make a really good attempt, and then find a professional in the field which will make a new logo, and will have your "prototype" to work from...

Advertisement