Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a Garden

Options
  • 11-02-2008 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I'm on the 'Green Team' in the primary school I work in. We are hoping to start a garden for the children to grow flowers and vegetables in. We are hoping to make raised beds, a section for each class of children. We don't have much money to spend unfortunately! I have a few questions people may be able to answer

What kind of wood is needed for raised beds and where to get it cheap?

How deep should the beds be?

We are starting from a grassy area, how should we prepare the beds?

Could anyone recommend somebody who would help us with this process for a reasonable price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I'm in the process of making some raised beds out the back myself, I used tanalised/treated fencing D-rail (95 x 35, available at most garden centres or builders providers, cheaper then decking board), made two frames 4' x 10' in size (not too big), lined with black plastic film on the inside (stapled) to prevent soil contact with the timber treatment and to prevent the soil drying out.

I then drove some 2"x2" stakes into the ground on the inside of the frames and laid two of the D-rail frames level, one on top of the other to create the raised bed (total bed depth about 12"). If you dig out the sod from what's there already, loosen up the soil then add in some gravel or sand to begin, it will improve drainage. Then add top soil, compost, some farmyard manure, etc. and away you go.

Some good tips on here for those starting a vegatable garden: http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You can use the classical method of ridges and furrows instead of raised beds.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ridge_and_furrow

You would need to turn the soil down to a depth of a spade (12", I think) and break up the sods. Leave it to settle for a number of weeks (3-4) and then re-dig it.
    Using a plumb-line, lay down a layer of compost along where the crops will grow, then make ridges using a spade by piling the soil onto the compost.
    Beat down the top of the ridge to break-up the larger lumps and sure-up the sides.
    Plant immediately to beat the weeds in the initial growth.

My father grows scallions, onions and sometimes potatos with good results. Carrots are more difficult due to frequent fly/worm infestations.

Have fun.

Advertisement