Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIT University

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ghouse

Bards wrote: »
    If this is the standard of education our so called 'Universities' are producing whose PhD graduates don't even know about Irish regions then god help us is all I have to say.

the the old Irish expression when looking for directions comes to mind "I would'nt start from here if I were you....":D

I wouldnt think Waterford or south Tipp are in the southeast either. I would've put Wexford, Kilkenny and maybe south wicklow there. Maybe waterford city at a stretch, although it belongs to a county which I would've thought was mostly southern.

What has his PhD got to do with this regional thing anyway? Don't attack posters quals if they dont relate to the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭Bards

ghouse wrote: »
    I wouldnt think Waterford or south Tipp are in the southeast either. I would've put Wexford, Kilkenny and maybe south wicklow there. Maybe waterford city at a stretch, although it belongs to a county which I would've thought was mostly southern.

What has his PhD got to do with this regional thing anyway? Don't attack posters quals if they dont relate to the argument.

for the un-educated amongst us (including so called doctors) just type Irish regions into google and lo and behold

http://www.iro.ie/

and http://www.sera.ie/

re attacking peoples qualificications. If someone copmes on here and sprouts that he or she is a PhD level graduate and doesn't know the first thing about Irish regions, as has been proved, I have every right to attack their qualifications, as a small percentage of my tax has paid for their doctrate.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If you are a WIT Student, please read the following notice with regards to a WIT Demo in Dublin. The college is organising a bus to attend, letters of leave will be supplied if required, and the bus/transport is free. I do belive the se4u (Friends of the University and South East) are active in this event.

See: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55536340#post55536340 for more info.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

re attacking peoples qualificications. If someone copmes on here and sprouts that he or she is a PhD level graduate and doesn't know the first thing about Irish regions, as has been proved, I have every right to attack their qualifications, as a small percentage of my tax has paid for their doctrate.

Yes, because that makes ad hominem attacks justified. Who the **** cares if someone with a PhD in biology isn't exactly right when it comes to Geography questions? PhD's indicate depth of knowledge in a narrow area not broad knowledge about academics in general (at least these days anyway). If he was trying to show off about having a PhD and it was totally irrelevant it'd be fair enough to poke some fun at him but in this case it was relevant with respect to his post.

nesf wrote: »
    Yes, because that makes ad hominem attacks justified. Who the **** cares if someone with a PhD in biology isn't exactly right when it comes to Geography questions? PhD's indicate depth of knowledge in a narrow area not broad knowledge about academics in general (at least these days anyway). If he was trying to show off about having a PhD and it was totally irrelevant it'd be fair enough to poke some fun at him but in this case it was relevant with respect to his post.

oh come on, OP came on here spouting on that the S.E region didn't exist and he had a PhD. He got his facts totally incorrect and hasn't come back to acknowlege his error

• Advertisement

oh come on, OP came on here spouting on that the S.E region didn't exist and he had a PhD. He got his facts totally incorrect and hasn't come back to acknowlege his error

Eh, not quite, the OP said that Waterford is in Munster (which is true) and that the whole focus on the "South East" mantra was about not conflicting with UCC for catchment area which is partially true (emphasising the Munster belonging aspect of Waterford underlies the issue that there's already a university serving Munster which doesn't say there shouldn't be a university in Waterford, it just "sounds better" to talk about Waterford as being part of the South East instead of Waterford as being part of Munster if you're for the area to get a university). It's just word games really, standard political stuff.

I don't think the OP is right or anything wrt the rest of the post, just that the personal attack was unnecessary and unproductive.

maoleary wrote: »
    I did my BSc in Appl Bio in WIT and then moved to UCD for a PhD.

And Waterford is not in the Southeast!!!! Its in Munster, the southern province. WIT alone created this southeast nonsense so it didn't have to compete with UCC. Pathetic!!

Waterford is in the South East - Fact .. see www.sera.ie

The Munster Provence stretches West as far as Limerick which apparently is in the Mid-West Region - Fact

Waterford is in the South East - Fact .. see www.sera.ie

The Munster Provence stretches West as far as Limerick which apparently is in the Mid-West Region - Fact

I don't disagree, I just don't see why you're focussing on insulting the OP over one small sentence as if it was their entire point. My point is that the sentence, while ****ing up on the Geography/Region definitions/whatever, wasn't a total without a point. If a poorly punctuated one. :p

[QUOTE=maoleary;. But KR "PR" Byrne is an idiot if he thinks WIT can be brought up to standard just by new buildings. Until he gets off his backside and starts re-organising schools, getting rid of the yes-men morons in charge of Schools of Science, Arts etc WIT hasn't got a hope.

And frankly, If I were Minister for Education and Science, I wouldn't let them have it, no matter how much I like the place.

And Waterford is not in the Southeast!!!! Its in Munster, the southern province. WIT alone created this southeast nonsense so it didn't have to compete with UCC. Pathetic!![/QUOTE]

He calls the director of WIT an idiot yet doesn't comprehend the Irish regions - go figure

the OP started the insults flying and I am sure a person with a PhD is well able to defend him or herself

He calls the director of WIT college an idiot yet doesn't understand the Irish regions..

I know who the idiot is here

Saying the Director is an idiot if he thinks a few new buildings will do the job is actually pretty accurate. I doubt the Director of WIT actually thinks this but it's a fair point.

The whole post is designed to get under your skin yet have enough semi-respectable points to make you feel the need to counter-argue. Why waste your time with it?

• Advertisement

I am so sorry NESF for upsetting you (NOT) you are the one who comes on here trying to argue a point and everytime I show you that you are wrong you again come up with another one.

I will put you down as a Troll as that what trolls do - try to get under peoples skin, but believe me, us waterfordians are made of stronger stuff than you think:D

I'm not upset child, I just dislike seeing people stoop to the trolls level and throwing insults about the place. ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Did I hear someone being called a troll? I do recall saying the next person to do so would be banned.

Ill look back in a while and if its gone, ill pretend it never happened. After all, I am sure all the WIT University pro/anti groups can discuss this amongst each other civily. I dont think you would ever get into name calling...

Sully wrote: »
    Did I hear someone being called a troll? I do recall saying the next person to do so would be banned.

In fairness it was mere banter between me and Bards rather than mudslinging. ;)

I'm not upset child, I just dislike seeing people stoop to the trolls level and throwing insults about the place. ;)

If questioning a Doctorate level Graduate's knowledge of Irish regions is an insult then sue me. The OP will have been through the same education system as I have (1st, 2nd & 3rd), and even though I have never done a PhD I know where the regions are and what counties they represent.

I still think calling a senior acedemic director of a third level institution an idiot is much more of an insult to throw, but I don't see you defending Prof. K. Byrne.

I still think calling a senior acedemic director of a third level institution an idiot is much more of an insult to throw, but I don't see you defending Prof. K. Byrne.

I don't think he needs defending because I doubt he's dumb enough to think that just a bunch of buildings would do the job tbh. It was mere hyperbole on the OP's part meant to get a reaction.

Saying the Director is an idiot if he thinks a few new buildings will do the job is actually pretty accurate. I doubt the Director of WIT actually thinks this but it's a fair point.

The whole post is designed to get under your skin yet have enough semi-respectable points to make you feel the need to counter-argue. Why waste your time with it?

Agreed.

After reviewing the thread, I belive everyone has been fairly civil. Points have been raised, and responded to. One personal attack was made and I hope this will be retracted soon. One poster acted like a troll and has been infracted for it.

Lets move on and continue to discuss watever needs discussing civily.

A reminder: Attack the post and not the poster. Problem with a post? Report it. Personal abuse will not be tollerated. You will be infracted, and if you continue - banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 gravity1036

maoleary wrote: »
    WIT is not sufficiently well organised to obtain or distribute the increase in funding should it receive university designation. It's science facilties, as an example, are hopeless, and have been ignored since the 70s.

I did my BSc in Appl Bio in WIT and then moved to UCD for a PhD. There's just no comparison in terms of facilities, organisation and attitude. PhDs in Waterford were in the stone age a few years back when I was there, UCD already was moving toward structered research, with proper graduate schools and systems of thematic designation.

WIT is a great institution, the smaller class sizes were great for individual tuition and thus there was an excellent rapport between students and staff, that you just don't get in the larger universities. But KR "PR" Byrne is an idiot if he thinks WIT can be brought up to standard just by new buildings. Until he gets off his backside and starts re-organising schools, getting rid of the yes-men morons in charge of Schools of Science, Arts etc WIT hasn't got a hope.

And frankly, If I were Minister for Education and Science, I wouldn't let them have it, no matter how much I like the place.

And Waterford is not in the Southeast!!!! Its in Munster, the southern province. WIT alone created this southeast nonsense so it didn't have to compete with UCC. Pathetic!!

Dear God!!

Just how many times will people fail to see that comparing an apple to an orange is undoubtedly going to show a difference between the 2? If you want to compare UCD with WIT then please by all means give WIT university status, several hundred million Euros as is the difference between their fundings and just as much time as UCD has been a university and then come back to us. That is a pathetic argument and I don't understand how anybody that can spell their own name could use it as a valid point.

As for the South East region being invented by WIT, good lord man, get a grip. The South East is a region in Ireland just like the North West that frequently gets mentioned on the news but nobody seems to complain about that or suggest that it's a PR campaign. Don't even get me started on the "BMW region". WIT hasn't got a chance as long as people listen to crazy ramblings like your post but thankfully that number of individuals is on the decrease and are becomming increasingly centralised to one area which is in effect making them the insular, parochial politicians that they so loathe.

If you are a WIT Student, please read the following notice with regards to a WIT Demo in Dublin. The college is organising a bus to attend, letters of leave will be supplied if required, and the bus/transport is free. I do belive the se4u (Friends of the University and South East) are active in this event.

See: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55536340#post55536340 for more info.

Thanks.

Indeed it was FUSE who organised the event Sully not just involved in it.

Also tip of the hat to you for cross-posting the advertisement in this forum; I'm pleasantly surprised. :cool:

Speaking of wasting time I note that you ignored my factual and statistical response to your post a while back and instead have occupied your moments with reiterating inflammatory remarks by people whom by your own admission are writing posts that are "designed to get under your skin". One would question your overall contribution to actual discussion if all you are willing to do is negate and offer up second hand tripe.

Indeed it was FUSE who organised the event Sully not just involved in it.

Also tip of the hat to you for cross-posting the advertisement in this forum; I'm pleasantly surprised. :cool:
    Well it was only for WIT Students but I wasnt sure if many (or any) were a part of this conversation (still dont :p). Hence why I directed people to the WIT Topic in here :)

Despite what people seem to think, I do not want to limit the discussion or promotion of such events or opinions. The issue that arrises is how people go about it - breaking Boards wide rules or specific forum charter etc. and I have no choice but to step in fairness to everyone invovled.

Anyway, moving on.. a lot of people (and students) are against the University campaign. I wonder is it split down the middle or is there a bit more support then those against?

• Advertisement

Did anyone come across an artice in the Irish Times yesterday? Apparently they came out in the Editoral in full support of WIT becoming a university.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

WIT supporters constanly whinge that it is the only Gateway area without a university.
    Well, the NorthWest does not have a University either but you don't get us complaining. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Essexboy wrote: »
    WIT supporters constanly whinge that it is the only Gateway area without a university.
    Well, the NorthWest does not have a University either but you don't get us complaining. :mad:

The Magee campus of the University of Ulster is in Derry. That's perfect for Donegal and reasonable coverage for other NW counties.

The North West is a much smaller region than the South East, in terms of size and population. Aside from Sligo, there are no other large towns with poor university coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Did anyone come across an artice in the Irish Times yesterday? Apparently they came out in the Editoral in full support of WIT becoming a university.

I saw it, it's a huge endorsement from the editor of the Irish Times for a university for the south east. The Saturday paper is now a weekend paper so it can be bought today as well.

merlante wrote: »
    I saw it, it's a huge endorsement from the editor of the Irish Times for a university for the south east. The Saturday paper is now a weekend paper so it can be bought today as well.

Indeed it is a massive endorsement with statements about the case such as "It deserves to be successful on its own merits. And it should be possible to ring fence a decision in its favour to ensure the role of the wider IoT sector is not compromised."

It's about time that the mainstream media was broken and started to publish unbiased press on this matter. We've see too many factually incorrect articles detracting from the case since the Port report was released.

Anyway, moving on.. a lot of people (and students) are against the University campaign. I wonder is it split down the middle or is there a bit more support then those against?

Have you got figures on that Sully or are you just throwing the negative into a positive stream for the sake of balance? Personally I haven't met very many people who are against this and trust me on this, I've been meeting an awful lot of people in the last number of weeks to try and rally for this case.

To answer your question from my experience spread across 5 different counties and literally 1000's of people the support is far outweighing the detractors in the South East. Generally speaking the only bulk of negative comments about it come from those living outside the South East region or those with a political agenda.

Just a thought , are the media now preparing the people for a positive decision re the designation of WIT to the University of the S.E

Will Bertie do wfor WIT what Haughey did for NIHE - Limerick on the eve of his retirement from his position as An Taoiseach?

Have you got figures on that Sully or are you just throwing the negative into a positive stream for the sake of balance? Personally I haven't met very many people who are against this and trust me on this, I've been meeting an awful lot of people in the last number of weeks to try and rally for this case.

Nothing offical. Just from the different courses and people I have met in WIT, a lot of people are against it. Plus, there was very little interest in going to the protest in Dublin last week as people didnt support the cause.

Another lad who was doing an article on this topic went around and asked students and most were against it also.

Clearly by this thread alone, a number of people dont support the cause for variour reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Plus, there was very little interest in going to the protest in Dublin last week as people didnt support the cause.

In all fairness it was not advertised very well in the college at all. The only way I found out about it was by checking the WIT section of boards.ie. Also there was only around 2 or 3 days notice which was not the best to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭ec18

The SE has roughly 450K people I may be wrong but the population of Ireland is in or around 4.5 Million. So 10% of the people support this and thats presuming that EVERYONE in the SE supports the cause. But the reality of it is that not everybody supports it. I'm not saying that everyone outside the SE doesn't support it, but I doubt many people outside the SE are interested. It's a regional issue and "Hot" topic...With Bertie's announcement it has faded even more into the background then it already was

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement