Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 traffic

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

No that's cyclopath's utopia :p I like cars. I just think there's loads of gimps who don't deserve the privilege of one. I don't like having to put up with chronic congestion, Kyoto fees and the like because people don't like to walk 5 minutes to the shop or mass or the train station or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

Sheesh, it seems I'm one of the few people here with good access to public transport. I'm a 10 minute walk from either Castleknock or Coolmine train station and I usually only need to use them when they're relatively empty. I have no qualms with the trains as they seem to be pretty frequent.
    I'm only a few minutes walk away from Blanchardstown village too where I can get the 38, 39 or 70 and I usually only have to wait 20 minutes max which I don't really mind, but I guess time and peak hours are a bigger issue for people commuting.
    Why don't more people cycle to work? One of my friends used to get the 76, I think, to Ballyfermot for college but because he had too many bad experiences (terrible traffic, sometimes the bus doesn't even show up) he started walking and began cycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I don't cycle mainly because I value my life!! Shared bus/taxi/cycle lanes are not safe nor are the cycle lanes at the side of narrow roads (Old Cabra Road etc) so it's a no brainer. That and the fact that I need to be in Wicklow 3 or 4 nights a week after work!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Cycling's not as dangerous as some people make it out to be. As long as you don't do stupid things like cycling without lights/visible clothing at night and stay clear of HGVs, your chances of getting killed or seriously injured are negligible. The most dangerous method of commuting in the city is by motorbike imo. If you go through the Park, then you've a totally safe route most of the way into the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

athtrasna wrote: »
    You get the cars illegally turning left off the Ashtown roundabout road (no left turn 7-10) while cars queue from the Castleknock side.

To be honest I've always wondered what the point is with the ban on left turns there. It's the cars trying to get into the park that block the traffic coming from Castleknock, not the cars going left onto Blackhorse Avenue, it's one of the most pointless ban on left turns that I've ever seen. It would in fact make more sense having a no right turn onto Blackhorse Avenue or into the park coming from the direction of Castleknock as that's what causes the delays, cars going left onto Blackhorse Avenue from Ashtown have the right of way and the traffic flow.

They even tried putting a no right turn onto Glenbeigh Road in the evenings a couple of months ago at the other end of Blackhorse Avenue coming from the NCR direction. It's not as if there's many cars turning right there in the first place, and those that do don't hold up traffic anyway. Thankfully it was shortlived and the sign was removed within a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I spent an hour and a quarter getting from Blanchardstown Road North to O'Connell St yesterday.

FFS that's ridiculous. But going by previous attempts at getting the bus I should count myself lucky to have actually caught one. The timetables are nothing but complete fiction. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I don't cycle mainly because I value my life!! Shared bus/taxi/cycle lanes are not safe nor are the cycle lanes at the side of narrow roads (Old Cabra Road etc) so it's a no brainer.
    I've been cycling for about 30 years. Never collided with a vehicle (though I'd touched a few peds in town that jumped out in front of me). Stark is right - my behaviour has a big influence on my accident free stats. Obviously there someday there might be a situation that is beyond my control but that risk applies to driving, walking and taking the bus or train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Why oh why has the N3 inbound dual carriageway been reduced to a single lane from the train station to the half way house? The lengthening of the ghost lane has increased the journey time on that section by a good 15 mins this week and don't get me started on people going up one side of the train slip road and back down!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Stark wrote: »
    Why not get a bicycle?

Have cycled over a few times but it is not too pleasant cycling back with a packpack of grocerie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Why oh why has the N3 inbound dual carriageway been reduced to a single lane from the train station to the half way house? The lengthening of the ghost lane has increased the journey time on that section by a good 15 mins this week and don't get me started on people going up one side of the train slip road and back down!!

Don't complain here, complain to the roads department or whatever it's called of the city council, and kick up a fuss with tds, councillors etc. No doubt the roads dept will give you some half arsed excuse but if enough people send in written complaints maybe they might be forced to back down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

the roundaabout into the ShoppingCentre at the Heaven Bar place is an absolute nightmare.

Between people coming down the Snugboro road into the SC thinking that its a slip lane and ploughing on regardless through to the mad pedestran lights which slow everything up at the AIB can take ages to get either into the SC or further down the Snugboro RD to the junction.

Maybe if the road was widened properly and it became two lanes into the SC, allowing for a slip system it might help things along

Advertisement