Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Astra SXi 2006 "doors open" dashboard light stays on

Options
  • 11-02-2008 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for some diagnosis or experience on a relatively small problem before I take the car to a dealer to get it fixed and hopefully you might be able to help me out and save me some money as my warranty is finished for the past 2 weeks so it's typical that it had to happen now.

I have a 2006 Opel Astra SXi Sports-hatch and 2 days ago the dashboard light to tell me that one of the doors is open came on (and kept beeping) until I closed my drivers side door again and hey-presto all was well.

Later that day the same thing happened, but this time I had to close the boot for it to stop.

And to make matters worse, yesterday and today, it doesn't matter what door I close, the light stays on constantly until the car is turned off and the beeping continues for about 60 seconds after starting the car.

Also, the rear number plate lights stay on for ages after the car has been locked, but I'm sure it is connected to the problem with the doors open light.

I have checked all door locks and I see nothing wrong with any of them so maybe you guys have some idea of what I can do to check it out myself.

The car is in immaculate condition, regularly serviced and I have only 39,000K on it after 2 years and to date I haven't had a single problem with it.

Let me know if you need anymore info or even pictures and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sounds like a problem with the door contact switch which is either integrated into the door lock or is a separate switch (I'm not sure on an Opel)

Either way, ask them to request goodwill - if that doesn't help then get onto Opel Ireland yourself - especially if the cure is a new lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

iceman777 wrote: »
    Also, the rear number plate lights stay on for ages after the car has been locked, but I'm sure it is connected to the problem with the doors open light.

The rear numberplate lights only come on when the car is unlocked as far as I can remember (I'm way too lazy to go downstatairs and have a look now) BUT, I think I'm right on that....

Silly question maybe, but have you checked the boot (or third door as it is)???

If it's 2006, hopefully it's still under Opel's 2 year warranty, just bring it into your local dealer and get them to check it out. If it's not the boot, it can only be 2 other switches causing the problem so shouldn't take too long....

Oh, one other thing I thought of, that I read on a few Vauxhall sites seems to be a problem with some Astra's, does the exterior handle on the passenger door get stuck out? Mine does now and again and that causes the door light and "bing" from dashboard....

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭iceman777

Thanks for the help guys.

The rear light stays on for quite a while, but I'm not sure for how long exactly - maybe an hour or so, which in my book is too long. I checked the doors and the handles are all closed properly and the car is definitley securely locked even though the rear numberplate light is on.

When I do lock it, the "doors open" light stays on for maybe 10 seconds or so afterwards and then turns itself off (after the internal lights go out).

I'll have another look this evening and keep you posted if I find anything of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭iceman777

When I left work yesterday and got into the car to go home and check the locks I found that everything was working again and it continues to do so and I have rstarted teh car 3 times since and also on this cold morning.

I did recheck all the locks and they are all closing as expected, handles aren't getting stuck and the rear numberplate light is staying off when the car is locked.

I'm stumped, but as long as it stays this way I'll be happy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mark.guest@ntlw

just got my 06 astra sport back from dealers ,i took it in with the same problem you are having and they said it is the rear hatch mechanism latch that was faulty and they replaced it under warranty, all is working now and all rear lights are switching off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Yes have seen the rear boot lock mechanism cause this problem a few times, not many, but have never had the problem with any of the door locks so this is most likely your problem. bring it to an opel dealer and if it is only outside of warranty there is a good chance they will be able to get opel to cover it by calling customer care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Lucifer wrote: »
    Yes have seen the rear boot lock mechanism cause this problem a few times, not many, but have never had the problem with any of the door locks so this is most likely your problem. bring it to an opel dealer and if it is only outside of warranty there is a good chance they will be able to get opel to cover it by calling customer care.

6 months later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Apologies, didnt see the date. If i had of seen it then I would of replied then. Only trying to help.

Advertisement