Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time in kennels

Options
  • 11-02-2008 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have to put my dogs in kennels for 2 days at the end of the month. I've never used a kennel before (big family wedding) but have a good recommendation. What I'm wondering is what happens to the dogs? Or they just locked up the whole time? Am not too worried as it's only 2 days but I would like to know anyones first experiences that might ease my slight anxiety.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

We had to put our 1yo boxer into a kennels for 11 days. We were so worried as she wasnt a great eater and hated being alone. I thought we were going to come home to a nervous bag of bones, but she was so happy and didnt want to come home with us, so that had to be a good sign! she also put on 4kgs when she was there. Im sure your dogs will be fine and enjoy their little break as much as you do:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

One important thing:

When you leave your dog in the kennels, don't make a big "goodbye scene".
    No speeches, no hugs, no looking over your shoulder and definetly no tears !
    Just leave the dog there as if you'd be back in five minutes.

Otherwise the dog will sense that something really out of the ordinary is going on, it will sense your worry and become worried itself and not be able to enjoy its stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

You should make contact with the kennels and ask what kind of a routine they have. Also go and have a look at the place. If you're not happy then don't leave your dogs there.

I'm afraid that if I thought my dogs would be just locked up for 2 days then I'd have more than 'slight anxiety'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Thanks guys. Will talk to the kennels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My sister was asking me about kennelling this morning.

She's thinking of heading off to NYC for four days at the end of April and had wondered about costs and what level of care her dog would receive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Or you could get a pet sitter in your own home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I've pet sat for a good few people. Cat owners are more likely to have you stay in their house while most dogs come and stay with me. Although I'll be minding a weimaraner in 2 months but there is no way he is coming to mine. My cat would have a fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Mairt wrote: »
    My sister was asking me about kennelling this morning.

She's thinking of heading off to NYC for four days at the end of April and had wondered about costs and what level of care her dog would receive.

I've heard people on a doggy forum I'm on raving about this place. Might be worth a look. http://www.bestkennels.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

has anyone experienced this with there dogs? ours a kennelled every year for holidays. we go to the best ones around and shop around aswell for the best. everytime we take them back they sulk for days. the last time they were there ws two weeks and they never ate proper for another two weeks after we brought them home. also we went away abroad this weeken and again they are not the same. its prob because we have them so spoilt at home. has anyone else experienced this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Anyone heard of this place http://www.happyhounds.ie/happyhounds.shtm, was highly recommended and I think they might pick up the dogs. They're not used to cars you see. Am dreading doing this. My bf's been away and one of the dogs has been sleeping in my bed each night.( He does the same when I'm away) These are very pampered pooches and won't go outside except to walk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement