Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bra fittings

Options
  • 11-02-2008 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭

Coming from the Ann Summers La Stanza thread I was wondering how many ladies have had a professional bra fitting [is that the right phrases I'm to lazy to go check]? Its something that they tell you should do as the wrong bra can do more damage then good.

If you have were did you get it done and how would you rate the service?

I went to get it done in Arnotts one day but the lady who did them wasn't in and its one of those things on my to do list that I never seem to get around to.

have you ever had a professional bra fitting? 179 votes

No
    0% 0 votes
    yes
    25% 45 votes
    eh?
    74% 134 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Yeah I got it done in Marks & Spencers a few years ago when i was trying to find the right bra to go with my debs dress

It was grand, see just measured me and then showed me what type of bras I should get etc said you know how tight the straps should be etc.

Hmm... I'm kinda thinking I need to get it done again coz I think I might have grown, although I'm not sure seeing as I was 18 getting it done and now 21..haven't changed my pill..hmm... not complaining though!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I had one done in a place called Change on Nassau Street. It's not there anymore but I'm pretty sure it has moved to the Pavillions in Swords or maybe Blanchardstown. Anywho, they were very good. It was at a time when my knockers had got really big and I needed a lot of new bras. The girls was excellent and the underwear was really nice.

Sadly, they (my boobies) have deflated somewhat since then so I can't wear the underwear anymore. It was nice while it lasted though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I haven't had a fitting in a while. I think I'm due one though, all my bras creak like old ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

Arnotts and M&S are rubbish at fittings anyway, to be honest. Both those places measured me several times (I used to go regularly) as 34-36D. I have since been measured by Bella Lusso at one of their "Perfect Fit" parties (www.bellalusso.com) and Bravissimo as 32F or 30FF depending on the manufacturer. Believe me when I tell you I cannot compare the support I get now! (as in I don't have to hold on to myself when going downstairs, which I used to if I descended at anything other than the most stately of walks)

It took a little getting used to quite how tight the chestband should be, having grown up with such a loose one for years, and yes, having VBL/fat rolls (only a cm or so) under clingy tops is annoying, but worth it for the support.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

microgirl wrote: »
    (I used to go regularly) as 34-36D. I have since been measured by Bella Lusso at one of their "Perfect Fit" parties (www.bellalusso.com) and Bravissimo as 32F or 30FF depending on the manufacturer.

I had the exact same problem (or close enough anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Havent got it done in years. I'm pretty sure of my ability to figure out if it fits or not though. Its not really that difficult! Sizes can also vary between brands.

Heres a good guide.
    http://www.bravissimo.com/info/brafitting.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

on behalf of my ex gilfriend :( , i voted no..
    She never got a fitting.. just the standard C cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Yup got mine done in M &S a few times, the girls in there are trained and really nice. (I used to work in the Per Una clothes section) I would definitely recommend you get measured, and I'd go a few times, because you body changes, weight gain/loss, if you're on tabs etc.
    I forced my mother to go about 2 years ago for the first time since she was my age or something(I'm 24 she's ...eh.. older lol) And she was surprised she'd been wearing the wrong size and cup. And she was on a lot of medication so when she came off some of it she dropped some weight and she went back on her own there recently and she had in fact gone down in bra size. The girl was very nice and went out to get bras to suit (personal input with my mother's input) and mother was all sorted again.

It's amazing the difference you can have in what you think you are and what you actually are.

I do my own at home, with a bit of assistance.

I don't how any one would manage to get away without a bra fitting. Maybe its because I tend to shop in department stores, but when I turn down the offer, the bra fitting zealots have a habit of jumping into the cubicle when I'm trying stuff on to convince me of the need to measure.
    I would rather not be fitted beause I'm an unusually broad build and they always get the size wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's as easy to do it at home. It's simple to do and there's no embarrassment of brightly lit changing rooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I've tired a few of the online guides on how to measure and the results always seem to be insane - I wear a 38 C at the moment and the online ones have told me I'm everything from a a 36A to a 44 D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Actually, thinking about this thread reminded me of a time my mum took me to get measured when I was about 16. The girl measured me and her and my mum proceeded to have a long loud conversation about the size of my boobies and how one was bigger than the other (I didn't agree with them but I found out recently that apparently all women have size differences). It was mortifying! So I say +1 for measuring yourself at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

ztoical wrote: »
    I've tired a few of the online guides on how to measure and the results always seem to be insane - I wear a 38 C at the moment and the online ones have told me I'm everything from a a 36A to a 44 D.

Basically you should just about be able to get one finger, two if really stretched, between your back and the chest band, and the wire (or the seam if you don't wear a wire) should be pretty much under your armpit. Your boob starts a hell of a lot further back than most of us think. I was really surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I got measured a few years ago for a wedding and to my suprise I was wearing the wrong size. Well to be honest it depends on the make of bar. I vary from 34b to 34c. Not a big difference but style of bra makes adifference. Currently I am a fan of Charnos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

fits wrote: »
    Sizes can also vary between brands.

That can be a bit annoying!!! When i'm buying bras i take armfuls into the dressing room, with several cup and back meaurements either side of my 'normal' measurement.

Anyone ever been so excited to find a bra that fits perfectly that they've bought it in three different colours, and two white? I can't be the only one.... :)

I get measured in somewhere like arnotts every year or so, and also do a bit of DIY measuring at home too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ThatGal

I was in New York last summer trying on underwear in Victoria Secrets. When the shop assistant brought me to the changing room she asked me if I'd been measured yet and before I knew I had my arms in the air and there was a tape around me.......it was so efficent compared to over here when you have to queue for ages to be measured! I was impressed! Oh and I know it's of topic but that shop is AMAZING, why isn't it over here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

microgirl where did you get measured? In M&S i am a 36F and i still don't think they support me well enough actually i was in M&S 2 weeks ago and no bra fitted me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I've never gone for a professional fitting. I always measured myself, and was right. Its only in the past 6 months or so since I changed pill, have I gone up. I've jumped 2 cup sizes and still going up, so I'm measuring every few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Had one done in M+S. They gave me 6 bras to try and none fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Always wore Penneys bras in 34B but got measured in Shaws when I wanted to get a more expensive bra. Measured in at 38C but she only measured my back and gave me different bras to fit for cup size. Was also great at showing me how to adjust the straps properly. Am now feeling all Trinny and Suzannah and want to fix up this girl in work who has them hovering just above her belly button!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

smaoifs wrote: »
    Am now feeling all Trinny and Suzannah and want to fix up this girl in work who has them hovering just above her belly button!

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I find Arnotts fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

anyone know if the M&S in jarvis do fittings?

I got one done there a lifetime ago and in debenhams in the Jervis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭annie19

calling out to all women out there........................do you not know your supposed to check your bra size every 6-8 months.......
    Im 99% sure im right on this one!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭annie19

Am now feeling all Trinny and Suzannah and want to fix up this girl in work who has them hovering just above her belly button![/quote]

get a few drinks into her sumnight when the shops are open late.LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

anyone know if the M&S in jarvis do fittings?
    They do indeed, or at least they did before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I've got measured lots of times in various shops but have yet to find a strapless bra that can hold everything up (I'm a 36 D), It's so annoying especially while trying to wear strapless dresses. And like the other poster I have to bring several different sizes into the chaning rooms as each brand (even within a shop) seems to be a different fit. I recently bought a bra in penney's with no underwire, I'm wearing it now and there's absolutely no support, so that's another one for the bin ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Same here although its a 38D right now..
    Basically you should just about be able to get one finger, two if really stretched, between your back and the chest band, and the wire (or the seam if you don't wear a wire) should be pretty much under your armpit. Your boob starts a hell of a lot further back than most of us think. I was really surprised!

****e, just tried that and I can quite comfortably fit 3 fingers under at the back, although if it was tighter there would be lumps and bumps..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

ThatGal wrote: »
    I was in New York last summer trying on underwear in Victoria Secrets. When the shop assistant brought me to the changing room she asked me if I'd been measured yet and before I knew I had my arms in the air and there was a tape around me.......it was so efficent compared to over here when you have to queue for ages to be measured! I was impressed! Oh and I know it's of topic but that shop is AMAZING, why isn't it over here!!!

Ha that happened me too in there! I was queueing for the changing rooms at the time and a lady with a tape measure was walking up and down the queue asking, I hesitated with my answer and poof my arms were suddenly up in the air and she was recommending bras to me :D

Advertisement