Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bra fittings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Im sure most people must have been brought by their mothers at some stage. I was wearing a 36DD for years but I went about a year ago and I measured as a 34 FF, its amazing the difference a good fitting bra makes to your figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭nmk

Meathlass wrote: »
    I've got measured lots of times in various shops but have yet to find a strapless bra that can hold everything up (I'm a 36 D), It's so annoying especially while trying to wear strapless dresses.
    Try Fantasie, you can't beat their strapless bras ;) I'm a 30E to 32DD depending on the brand - an 'odd' size in that many ranges don't cater for it and I've found that going to shops with lots of different brands (Debenhams/BTs/independent lingerie stores) where there are more ranges is the way to go. Freya is my fav brand at the moment, I love, love, love the look and comfort of their bras. I don't find M&S any good as I felt that they fudged the figures just to give me something (illfitting) to try on. They have such pretty styles though, I would love to be able to buy their bras.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

nmk wrote: »
    Try Fantasie, you can't beat their strapless bras ;) I'm a 30E to 32DD depending on the brand - an 'odd' size in that many ranges don't cater for it and I've found that going to shops with lots of different brands (Debenhams/BTs/independent lingerie stores) where there are more ranges is the way to go. Freya is my fav brand at the moment, I love, love, love the look and comfort of their bras. I don't find M&S any good as I felt that they fudged the figures just to give me something (illfitting) to try on. They have such pretty styles though, I would love to be able to buy their bras.

I'm similar size to you and recently bought some nice ones in M&S (which I'm quite happy with).

I'm with you on the freya and fantasie though. They're expensive but so worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Meathlass wrote: »
    I've got measured lots of times in various shops but have yet to find a strapless bra that can hold everything up (I'm a 36 D), It's so annoying especially while trying to wear strapless dresses. And like the other poster I have to bring several different sizes into the chaning rooms as each brand (even within a shop) seems to be a different fit. I recently bought a bra in penney's with no underwire, I'm wearing it now and there's absolutely no support, so that's another one for the bin ;)

hey meath lass there is an underwear shop in drogheda called "ophelia", I think its on Dyer street... they stock some great gear they do fittings and have a good selection of underwired strapless bras for the busty lady...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Quality wrote: »
    hey meath lass there is an underwear shop in drogheda called "ophelia", I think its on Dyer street... they stock some great gear they do fittings and have a good selection of underwired strapless bras for the busty lady...

Thanks. One of these days I'm going to hit the dept stores and I'm not leaving until I get a nice bra that acutally fits properly and I feel comfortable in .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭nmk

fits wrote: »
    I'm similar size to you and recently bought some nice ones in M&S (which I'm quite happy with).

I'm with you on the freya and fantasie though. They're expensive but so worth it.

Cheer fits, I'll give them another go then, I'd given up on them! Bras are the one thing I wont skimp on, they make such a difference to your figure/clothes fit and I'm convinced that if they're not supported that they're going to droop a hell of a lot quicker.:eek: If I was a smaller cup size/if they had my size I wouldn't mind Penneys/Dunnes as long as they did the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

Can someone please explain what way the measure you for a bra?
    do you need to remove your bra or can they do it over your bra?

I got measured years ago, but the woman in marks measured over my padded push up bra? Which i'm not sure is right? Since then i've just been trying different sizes and adjusting them as i need to - ie when i was younger i was 34b now i'm up on a 38c!

I'd be interested to know if the size i'm in is right or not, but bit shy about stripping infront of a stranger! Now i know they see them all the time but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

ive had it done about 3 times. i only really remember the La Senza one that was a couple of years ago.
    a few years ago i got it done and she kept saying i "seem to be between Cup sizes" :rolleyes: and i think i went somewhere else for another go.

I probably need it done again. although mine never Change and the same size fits no matter where i buy it.
    its very easy to do yourself though and i think its fairly spot-on.

DubLegs wrote: »

I got measured years ago, but the woman in marks measured over my padded push up bra? Which i'm not sure is right? Since then i've just been trying different sizes and adjusting them as i need to - ie when i was younger i was 34b now i'm up on a 38c!

I'd be interested to know if the size i'm in is right or not, but bit shy about stripping infront of a stranger! Now i know they see them all the time but still...

yeah they do it over your Bra.
    funnily enough when i got measured in La Senza i was trying on a kind of padded Bra. i dont think it Affected it though because ive been the same size always....

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

GinnyJo wrote: »
    Same here although its a 38D right now..

****e, just tried that and I can quite comfortably fit 3 fingers under at the back, although if it was tighter there would be lumps and bumps..

Yeah, you're gonna get lumps and bumbs, and that's part of the difficulty of getting used to a proper-fitting bra. But believe me, the difference in support is *incredible*. Having ignored my friends' insistance for years that I was not a 36D I was so shocked.

As a basic pointer though girls, I'm a size 12-14 in tops (apart from buttoned blouses, which just don't work ;)) and I'm a 30-32. My size 28 friend (admittedly a lot of that is bust, but she'd be a 24-26 without huge boobs anyway) is a 38. So if you're a 12-14 and think you're a 36 *anything* you're really, really not!

Oh, and that "1-2 fingers" rule is on the *first* hook. You shouldn't be able to close a new bra on the 2nd or subsequent. They're for when it loosens out a little over time, so you don't have to buy a new one every couple of months :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

microgirl wrote: »
    . So if you're a 12-14 and think you're a 36 *anything* you're really, really not!

Nope, I have to disagree. Some people have broader backs than others.

Dress size isnt a whole lot to do with it tbh.

from the bravissimo website

At Bravissimo, we don't use tape measures or a size grid to help you find your bra size because we don't believe that they work. Instead, we prefer to show you what a good fitting bra looks like, so that you know what to look out for yourself when you're trying on bras.

You can use this three step check and our trying on tips below for all bras, swimwear and strappy tops on this website.

As always, if you're unsure please call our customer services consultants 01926 459 859. They are all experienced at giving fitting advice over the telephone and will be more than happy to help!
    Our three step check for the perfect fitting bra:

1. The strap around your body should be firm but comfortable. When you stand side-on at a mirror, the strap that runs around your body should be horizontal and should not ride up at the back at all.
    2. The wires at the front should lie flat against your rib cage and should not dig in, rub or poke out at the front.
    3. Your boobs should be enclosed in the cups and you should have a smooth line where the fabric at the top of the cup ends and meets your bust. You shouldn't have any ridges or bulging over the top or sides of the cups, even if you are wearing a balconette or lower cut style.

Trying on tips
    When you are trying a bra on, it's best to start off by fastening it on the loosest hook. This way, you will be able to tighten the bra up if it becomes looser when you’ve worn it a few times. Also, remember to adjust the shoulder straps to ensure that they are not too loose. When you've put on a bra, you may need to adjust your boobs to make sure that they are in the cups properly. It's a good idea to try a T-shirt or top over the bra that you are trying, so that you can see the shape it gives you underneath your clothes.

If your bra isn't fitting properly and you're still unsure why, take a look at our troubleshooting page which explains some of the most common reasons, together with our advice for how to put things right!

Why isn't my bra fitting me properly?
    Here are some of the most common reasons, together with our advice for how to put things right:

My boobs are bulging out of the top or sides of the cup and my bust looks lumpy under clothes.
    This is a sure sign that the cup size you are wearing is too small, as your boobs should be totally encased in the cups. Try at least one cup size bigger.

My bra rides up my back or moves around as I move.
    Apart from trying to squeeze ourselves into cup sizes that are too small, the most common mistake that we make is to wear back sizes that are too big. The strap around your body should fit snugly and it will only move around if it is too big. If this is happening, you need to try a smaller back size. But remember, a smaller back size will also be smaller in the cup (i.e. a 34E is smaller in the back and cup than a 36E). For example, if you find a 36E fits you well in the cup but is too big around the back, try a 34F.

The wires stick out at the front or dig in under my arms.
    When the wires stick out or dig in like this, it's often because the cup size is too small and your boobs are forcing the bra away from your body. Try a cup size bigger, so that the wires lie flat against your body and fully encase your boobs.

The straps dig into my shoulders and give me red marks.
    The main support provided by a bra should come from the strap around your back and not the shoulder straps. If your shoulder straps are digging in, you are probably wearing a back size that is too big, so try at least one back size smaller. Alternatively, you may simply need to loosen the shoulder straps.

The cups are wrinkly, particularly at the top and sides.
    This is usually a sign that the cup size is too big, so you may want to try at least one cup size smaller. However, if the wrinkling is only at the tip of the cup, this could be an indication that the cup size is too small because your boobs can’t fit into the cups properly – in this instance, try at least one cup size bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Two measurements are taken.
    The first is your rib cage just under your breasts.
    The second is over the fullest part of your breasts.

The first measurement is your band size ie 34, 36, 38, if you are inbetween
    then you may need to try on both and adjust to see what fits best.

The first measurement is taken away from the second measurement.

IF there is a 1 inch difference then you are a A cup
    IF there is a 2 inch difference then you are a B cup
    IF there is a 3 inch difference then you are a C cup
    ect

But again you have to try on a few to see, you could measure a 35 inch with a 3 inch difference and depending on the make and model of a bra you could end up wearing a 34 C/D or a 36 B/C.

Tbh they would need to double the sized available to make sure every woman get a proper fitting bra plush the size and shape of breasts change due to hormoane during the month.

Ideally you should have it off.

Agreed Fits. i disagreed with that in another thread. I am NO bigger than a size 12 in tops and i'm a 36. and thats after a proper Fitting. (Granted i havent had it done in about 2 years but i was the same size 12 then) infact, i might get it done tonight after all the talk of it! Better wear a decent not-too-padded bra. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I have a few times...always hope the results have got bigger...but no...:(

Yeah. over the bra, but just an ordinary, reasonably supportive bra.

You measure around the chest under the bust (where the chest band is) and you pull the measuring tape *tight*, not just loosely close it round you like most fitters do. Note the inches, and then add 5. This is your bra/band measurement (if you get an odd number round up to the next even one)

Then measure around the fullest part of the bust. This measurement is taken loosely; you don't want to dint in the bust at all.

If the measurement around the bust in inches equals the band measurement (ie, measuring around the chest and adding 5 inches) then you're an AA cup. +1 A cup +2 B cup, +3 C and so on.

Oh, and apparently if the chest measurement is over 33", then you only add 3 inches, rather than 5.

www.bellalusso.com is quite good.

fits wrote: »
    Nope, I have to disagree. Some people have broader backs than others.

Dress size isnt a whole lot to do with it tbh.

from the bravissimo website

Well yes, this is true, but broadly speaking (no pun intended) you've unlikely to be a 36 if you're relatively small. I'm actually quite broad-backed too, as I'm only 5'2" and many people my size would be a 26-28.

I only meant it as a guide. Most people I see walking around are very clearly not wearing the right size bra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭annie19

Man i thought all women had at least an idea of this sort of thing. its an investment for when we are mid life and we're good on all other types of investments! Or are we??? That is the million dollar question... Hmmmmm maybe not:confused:

when I think about it most of us dont wear the right size....if its so obvious ya think a close friend, sister, hubby etc would have a whisper in our ear.....it has to be shamen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

right so i'm off to get a fitting - ha so much for all the bra's i got during the marks sale!! here's hoping i was right.

From what i'm seeing here La Senza is the best place to be measured? Would that be right?

I'm nearer Dublin city centre so would Arnotts be best and would this have to be made by appointment - same with La Senza or any other place!
    Oh and is there a charge!

Sorry for all the questions

theres no charge but be expected to buy a few!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

been fitted in marks and sparks and very happy w/ the service. was very happy w/ their underwear untiil recently (wires seem to start popping out of their casing much sooner than they should) but they're one of the few places that do bras in my size that look nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

right so i'm off to get a fitting - ha so much for all the bra's i got during the marks sale!! here's hoping i was right.

From what i'm seeing here La Senza is the best place to be measured? Would that be right?

I'm nearer Dublin city centre so would Arnotts be best and would this have to be made by appointment - same with La Senza or any other place!
    Oh and is there a charge!

Sorry for all the questions

I've been measured in Arnotts and found them v helpful - they stock a huge range of brands so i'm always likely to find one i like. :)

If none fit or you don't find any you like you don't have to buy, (although if one were to show up everyday to get measured and then not buy anything they'd prob think 'weirdo' and start talking to shop security about a ban) and there's no charge. Sometimes one of the measuring women isn't working at that time, so you could always ring ahead if you're travelling in specially, but i've never made an appt, just showed up and while browsing usually get asked if i'd like to try anything on.

It's better to go when the shop is going to be quieter if you'd like the shop assistants to get different sizes, etc while you're in the changing room - i find that a lot handier than having to get dressed again and go back out.

Oh, and great changing rooms in Arnotts btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Tree wrote: »
    been fitted in marks and sparks and very happy w/ the service. was very happy w/ their underwear untiil recently (wires seem to start popping out of their casing much sooner than they should) but they're one of the few places that do bras in my size that look nice.

Have you been putting them in the washing machine? I used to find the wires (bras from any shop) would be sticking through the fabric so i was binning them while everything else was fine with them.

I got a few of the little zip up cloth/net bags for washing delicates in. Now i zip the bras into them and throw them in the machine - and the hooks no longer get caught on other clothes. The wires have all stayed put.

Supermarkets sometimes have the bags hanging in the laundry aisle, and la senza sell some at their counters.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

yup, all into washing machines like the millions previous. most of the old millinos just got maggoty and grey, and the wires snapped in my most favourites (had a few of teh superego bras in a few different colours) but now the new ones just start poking through the casing.

also, many big plusses for bra back extenders (them hook and extra loops you can put into the back of any bra). sadly la senza are one fothe few places still doing them, marks and sparks have stopped.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Yeah. over the bra, but just an ordinary, reasonably supportive bra.

You measure around the chest under the bust (where the chest band is) and you pull the measuring tape *tight*, not just loosely close it round you like most fitters do. Note the inches, and then add 5. This is your bra/band measurement (if you get an odd number round up to the next even one)

Then measure around the fullest part of the bust. This measurement is taken loosely; you don't want to dint in the bust at all.

If the measurement around the bust in inches equals the band measurement (ie, measuring around the chest and adding 5 inches) then you're an AA cup. +1 A cup +2 B cup, +3 C and so on.

Oh, and apparently if the chest measurement is over 33", then you only add 3 inches, rather than 5.

www.bellalusso.com is quite good.

Right I'm a freak according to your way of measuring I'm a 38DD and a half.....****e... I'm only a size 14 bloody broad back.

Yeah, you're gonna get lumps and bumbs, and that's part of the difficulty of getting used to a proper-fitting bra. As a basic pointer though girls, I'm a size 12-14 in tops (apart from buttoned blouses, which just don't work ;)) and I'm a 30-32. My size 28 friend (admittedly a lot of that is bust, but she'd be a 24-26 without huge boobs anyway) is a 38. So if you're a 12-14 and think you're a 36 *anything* you're really, really not!

I don't think lumps and bumps are a sign of a good fit.
    The numbers are purely a measurement of the back, boobage doesn't come into it. I didn't think they did bra's in sizes under 28 and that was generally a young teen size.
    36 is the average back of a size 14, but everyones build is different. Most models would have a size 36 back and obviously they are a small dress size.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

If you order a free catalogue from www.bellalusso.com they send you a free bra size measuring tape. It's a normal good quality measuring tape but it is colour coded so that you just take the usual two measurements and you can read straight off the tape what bra size and cup size you are. No adding four to even numbers and 5 to uneven numbers. It's very accurate and anyone I know who has used it has found it great! I'm surprised they aren't selling it because I'd say it would be a big hit.
    The catalogue caters for larger sizes but the tape works for anything from 28AA if I remember correctly. It's worth sending away for the catalogue just to get the tape.

Thats a brilliant tip, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

oh man, i've had the same 4 bras for about 5 years...

keep meaning to get properly fitted. or at least fit myself properly and buy something that fits. :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I've had a bra fitting in Marks and Sparks and La Sensa. Both came out with the same result. I think it's great. I mean well fitting and damn sexy underwear is the foundation to a good outfit :)

A

Advertisement