Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bra fittings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Thaedydal wrote: »
    the fullest part of your breasts.

Phrowwwaaaaa!!!!!!
    b3t4 wrote: »
    I've had a bra fitting in Marks and Sparks and La Sensa. Both came out with the same result. I think it's great. I mean well fitting and damn sexy

AwwwwOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

cuckoo wrote: »
    I got a few of the little zip up cloth/net bags for washing delicates in. Now i zip the bras into them and throw them in the machine - and the hooks no longer get caught on other clothes. The wires have all stayed put.

Thats for that tip never even knew you could get them.

Still a well fitting bra really does make a big difference to how good your boobs look and there is the added comfort level too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I'm digging this thread up to just give a quick plug to Bramora on Earlsfort Terrace, in Dublin.

http://bramora.com/about_us.php?blink=4

They stock larger cup sizes, and the woman there is like the Rainman of bras. It was the most accurate fitting i've ever had - she took one look at me, darted out to the racks and returned with a bra that fits me perfectly.

They're beside Insomnia coffee, across from the National Concert Hall and I would highly reccomend them to the the bustier members of the LL sisterhood.

cuckoo wrote: »
    I'm digging this thread up to just give a quick plug to Bramora on Earlsfort Terrace, in Dublin.

http://bramora.com/about_us.php?blink=4

They stock larger cup sizes, and the woman there is like the Rainman of bras. It was the most accurate fitting i've ever had - she took one look at me, darted out to the racks and returned with a bra that fits me perfectly.

They're beside Insomnia coffee, across from the National Concert Hall and I would highly reccomend them to the the bustier members of the LL sisterhood.

Ouh I'm going to try her out.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

my best friend has been a proffessional fitter in Arnotts for the last 7 years, and I never bothered to go in a get a fitting. Because I always thought I knew what size I was. . . but I went in to her a few weeks ago and I was wrong. I was totally wearing the wrong size!!! I actually went up 4 cup sizes :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ewelina

Hi, Check this website. There is proper bra fitting :)
    http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Bra-sizing-choosing-a-bra-and-debunking-some-myths_W0QQugidZ10000000001212119QQ_trksidZp3285.c38.m17.l1103

If you need a help, just let me know. I have very good calculator and i can help you with bra fitting :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Catmanuel

Can any of you helpful ladies recommend somewhere in Dublin that has a good selection of bras for those of us in the Itty Bitty Tittie Committee?:D

I wear a 36A but my bras rarely fit well and its hard to find many in that size range. I got stuck with a bad combo, small boobs and a broad back! And its not like I'm a size 8, I'm between a 10 and a 12. Still waiting on an (unlikely) growth spurt... :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Catmanuel wrote: »
    Can any of you helpful ladies recommend somewhere in Dublin that has a good selection of bras for those of us in the Itty Bitty Tittie Committee?:D

I wear a 36A but my bras rarely fit well and its hard to find many in that size range. I got stuck with a bad combo, small boobs and a broad back! And its not like I'm a size 8, I'm between a 10 and a 12. Still waiting on an (unlikely) growth spurt... :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Are you sure that you have 36 A?

Take your bust and underbust measurements. It helps to stand in front of a mirror to see what you’re doing and to check that the tape measure is horizontal.
    The underbust measurement should be taken by holding the tape measure horizontally underneath the breasts. Pull the tape measure fairly snug and don’t breathe in deeply. Don’t worry about it feeling too tight, have to be tight!– the elasticity of the bra should take care of comfort!! :)
    And then take bust measurement. Don’t pull the tape measure too tight when measuring your bust; in fact it should almost slip off.

Can you tell me your measures? :) I`ll tell you your size of bra :)

Ok so I measured myself and got some suprising results.

Underbust: 31
    Bust: 35

So if I round the 31 up to an even number..does that make me a 32C?!:eek:
    Does that bra size even exist?

Your size should be 32 D! You have wrong size of your bra! :) I`m sure that you can get your new size in La Senza in Dundrum :)

• Advertisement

Wow! Thanks, I'll try and find that size and see how I get on. From an A cup to a D cup in half an hour. :D

Pity they haven't actually grown.:o

Wow! Thanks, I'll try and find that size and see how I get on. From an A cup to a D cup in half an hour. :D

Pity they haven't actually grown.:o
    :D

Before i checked it, my size was 32 B, now i have 32 E :D

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MLE

Yeah I was wearing a 36DD as measured by marks and spencers but based on this 'Back size being too small' idea I followed the advice on that ebay link and on bravissimo website and went shopping today and settled for a 34 E or F.

My boobs now look perkier than before in the new bras.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I hadn't been measured in ages and decided I better do it, so actually got measured twice in one day..

First was in marks and I couldn't find anything nice so went to another place, some fancy lingerie shop. Anyway, got measured again and I was 2 cups higher than I was earlier that morning:confused:

Got sorted in the end and it really makes a huge difference when your wearing a bra that actually fits you. My puppies look amazing now :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Got measured twice in the last couple of months. Will have to keep an eye on them as babs grows but oh well!

First was Marks and Sparks, was waiting nearly two hours as queue was so long (you can't book in advance). Very helpful, went up a back size but cup size was right! 40D / 40DD depending on make.

Second was in Change in the Omni, finding a nice bra for my birthday, brillaint! Will be going back there!

I hadn't been measured in ages and decided I better do it, so actually got measured twice in one day..

First was in marks and I couldn't find anything nice so went to another place, some fancy lingerie shop. Anyway, got measured again and I was 2 cups higher than I was earlier that morning:confused:

Got sorted in the end and it really makes a huge difference when your wearing a bra that actually fits you. My puppies look amazing now :p

Did you try take a measure using ebay website above? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I have been measured in Marks and spencer, debenhams, Roches (when it was around) and la senza, found debenhams better to be honest - lady was really nice, and could tell me my boob size by just looking at them, took alot of time with me to make sure I was happy and stuff.

La Senza was good too.

Roches was crap, measured me as a cup size too small.

Need to get measured again because of weight gain so will prob go to debenhams.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I had it done in Arnotts. Was very good, was told I was actually one back size smaller and one cup size bigger. Find it fits much better now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

That's the exact same experience I had with Arnotts. After years of going to M&S and not finding the fittings that brilliant, the bras I got at Arnotts that time fitted like a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MLE

MLE wrote: »
    Yeah I was wearing a 36DD as measured by marks and spencers but based on this 'Back size being too small' idea I followed the advice on that ebay link and on bravissimo website and went shopping today and settled for a 34 E or F.

My boobs now look perkier than before in the new bras.;)

I got the new bra, wore it, boobs looked better, but my back (spine) is killing me now.. so Ill probably go back to the old ones :(

• Advertisement

MLE wrote: »
    I got the new bra, wore it, boobs looked better, but my back (spine) is killing me now.. so Ill probably go back to the old ones :(

is it to tight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Got measured last year but as I put up over a stone since I had to go up a size, from 36b to 38b. I'll have to go in for another fit soon, I'm not 100% sure that I'm wearing the right size. I'm hitting the gym at the mo so I'm kind of putting it off in the hope of losing some weight.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

i Want to get fitted .. but im scared of finding out im a Cup size too small and a size bigger (38) around the chest!
    Plus im known as the "C" between all my friends..
    got a C in Penneys the other day and was MILES too big, went and bought a B and it too small! how typical eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭wandering_star

I worked as a lingerie fitter for about 2-3 years, a few years ago and I was trained in by some of the loveliest and most patient (I say patient as anyone who has been stuck in a fitting room on a saturday afternoon waiting along with another 15 ladies with daughters of all ages in tow for a fitting will know what I mean) ladies I have ever had the pleasure to know. My main mentor had actually been fitting people since she was 18, when she was training me in it was a week before her 60th :eek:

As regards where are good places to go I would highly advise Arnotts or Debenhams, for a person of a much older vintage Boyers isn't bad either. And from what I've heard the bra fitting company near the National Concert Hall is also amazing (according to a rather well endowed friend of mine, 30G, her fella is a lucky man ;)) for people with a hard to find chest. I keep meaning to go, and when I do I will report back.

La senza is ok to a degree in that they do have pretty things in a wide range of sizes, they're a god-send for sexy and not overly pricey stuff if you have a 30 back like myself. BUT I have found their staff, while very nice, to be lacking in the skills and generally experience and product knowledge (yes they know alot about sticky on cups, but not so much in the line of what sort of seem would work best etc, etc) that the ladies I know of in Debenhams and Arnotts.

I would strongly disuade anyone from going to M&S. I went there undercover once to see what all my colleagues were on about and why I got so many ladies in badly fitted M&S bras in. I was put in a bra that was 3 cup sizes too small and heavens knows how big in the back.

As for how to measure some one. Yes they need to be wearing a bra for you to measure them first, even if it's a badly fitted one, they need to be in bra. Thaedyadl is right about the inch rule, but a good fitter knows that someone who measures say a 34FF may only be that size in one range of bras-one style of that range even. It's like jeans in that regard, you may be a size 8 in one store and a 12 in another, it's not one size fits all. With some women it would be a very easy process I'd measure them and due to the familiarity of working with the bras day in day out I'd know pretty much straight away which brand and which shape would suit them best.

However with other ladies it would take several bras before we found the right one. I remember measuring a girl with the tape one day to find the measurement came up saying 34c, there was no-way that girl was a 34e I need just to look at her she wasn't, I had to try a few different bras on her to find the one that sat on the first set of hooks, that sat inbetween her boobs properly, etc, etc, she left in a 30dd if memory serves me correctly, and she left a happier more confident woman.

I would advise anyone to get measured. Your clothes sit better. Your boobs feel and look better, and it gives you a bit of confidence, you feel better. How often should you get measured, at least once a year-at least, to be sure, but if you put on/lose weight, if your pregnant, or feel uncomfortable then get measured.

If you've recently had a mastectomy it's also advised as well, and there are 2 very good fitters specifically trained for this type of bra fitting in Arnotts that I know of and there's also a really good chemist near whelans actually that's meant to be very good with these specific types of fittings. If I can remember correctly as well there's also a company near Pearse Street station that makes "couture" bras of these nature.

We're all women, the fitters have seen it all before-believe me-hair/no hair/tattoos/scars, etc we've seen it all, there's no need to be embarassed it's a good thing that you're being measured, you're taking pride in yourself, go you! However if you are going to get measured bare in mind when the busy times are-basically peak shopping times-your best bet is to get in as early as you can in the day to be measured to avoid queues, stress and potentially tired staff-it happens in every walk of retail!!

As for a bra being too tight-it's meant to be tight, that's what lifts your boobs. It's the tightness of the back and the tightness of the straps that keep you up. Ok yes, don't starve yourself of ****** but it is meant to be tight. A lot of people moan initially that it may be a bit tight, but generally they're wearing something that is too loose and doesn't do the job so they're normally not used to the tightness. When you buy a bra first it should be on the outer hook ie ) ) ) then as you feel the elastic go work your way into the back ( i.e ) ) ) ) , that way you get more life out of the bra! The elastic stretches with you so although initially it'll seem a bit tight it'll loosen up. But if you can't breathe then jaysus don't wear it :)

I love my freya, gossard, lejaby etc, bras and sets but someday I'd love to be able to afford a rigby and peller couture corset or if I had to settle bra, if it's good enough for the queen... :D

A good bra is always a good investment. Getting one while the sales are on however is a bonus :)

If anyone has any questions feel free to pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

that's quite enlightening.

ill be into arnotts in september to see you, or a colleague, methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'm a 32D ( was a 32C for ages) and the sizes are easy enough to find, just not in cheap shops like penneys or Dunnes, they usually only do 32 in an A cup which is ridicolous, I've a small back not small boobs! I bought loads of bras in a place called Change tht used to be on Nassau street. They've gone now but the girl there was great/ She just laughed at me because I rang my mum while she was measuring me to tell her I was now a D cup, after years of being small (I didn't get proper boobs til I was about 18 - now I have a definite "handful") cos I was so shocked. I think they moved to the pavillion in Swords.

In La Senza I've had to buy E+ cups before because they're bras are so small. I wouldn't recommend there if you're going to go in and get some new 32D bras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭*melanie*

i went and got fitted in goods in kilkenny,and was told i was a 34e,so bought a bra,went home and wore it for a while,and realised it was too small,she fitted me completly wrong.so went and returned it for better size.didnt seem to know how to do her job.

Pauls (opposite Goods) is supposed to much better..and seems to have a good range, eg Playboy if your into it..
    Goods gives me the feeling that it caters for the older woman if you ask me.. but then again, i may be biased because i was in Pauls the other day..

I worked as a lingerie fitter for about 2-3 years, a few years ago and I was trained in by some of the loveliest and most patient (I say patient as anyone who has been stuck in a fitting room on a saturday afternoon waiting along with another 15 ladies with daughters of all ages in tow for a fitting will know what I mean) ladies I have ever had the pleasure to know. My main mentor had actually been fitting people since she was 18, when she was training me in it was a week before her 60th :eek:

As regards where are good places to go I would highly advise Arnotts or Debenhams, for a person of a much older vintage Boyers isn't bad either. And from what I've heard the bra fitting company near the National Concert Hall is also amazing (according to a rather well endowed friend of mine, 30G, her fella is a lucky man ;)) for people with a hard to find chest. I keep meaning to go, and when I do I will report back.

La senza is ok to a degree in that they do have pretty things in a wide range of sizes, they're a god-send for sexy and not overly pricey stuff if you have a 30 back like myself. BUT I have found their staff, while very nice, to be lacking in the skills and generally experience and product knowledge (yes they know alot about sticky on cups, but not so much in the line of what sort of seem would work best etc, etc) that the ladies I know of in Debenhams and Arnotts.

I would strongly disuade anyone from going to M&S. I went there undercover once to see what all my colleagues were on about and why I got so many ladies in badly fitted M&S bras in. I was put in a bra that was 3 cup sizes too small and heavens knows how big in the back.

As for how to measure some one. Yes they need to be wearing a bra for you to measure them first, even if it's a badly fitted one, they need to be in bra. Thaedyadl is right about the inch rule, but a good fitter knows that someone who measures say a 34FF may only be that size in one range of bras-one style of that range even. It's like jeans in that regard, you may be a size 8 in one store and a 12 in another, it's not one size fits all. With some women it would be a very easy process I'd measure them and due to the familiarity of working with the bras day in day out I'd know pretty much straight away which brand and which shape would suit them best.

However with other ladies it would take several bras before we found the right one. I remember measuring a girl with the tape one day to find the measurement came up saying 34c, there was no-way that girl was a 34e I need just to look at her she wasn't, I had to try a few different bras on her to find the one that sat on the first set of hooks, that sat inbetween her boobs properly, etc, etc, she left in a 30dd if memory serves me correctly, and she left a happier more confident woman.

I would advise anyone to get measured. Your clothes sit better. Your boobs feel and look better, and it gives you a bit of confidence, you feel better. How often should you get measured, at least once a year-at least, to be sure, but if you put on/lose weight, if your pregnant, or feel uncomfortable then get measured.

If you've recently had a mastectomy it's also advised as well, and there are 2 very good fitters specifically trained for this type of bra fitting in Arnotts that I know of and there's also a really good chemist near whelans actually that's meant to be very good with these specific types of fittings. If I can remember correctly as well there's also a company near Pearse Street station that makes "couture" bras of these nature.

We're all women, the fitters have seen it all before-believe me-hair/no hair/tattoos/scars, etc we've seen it all, there's no need to be embarassed it's a good thing that you're being measured, you're taking pride in yourself, go you! However if you are going to get measured bare in mind when the busy times are-basically peak shopping times-your best bet is to get in as early as you can in the day to be measured to avoid queues, stress and potentially tired staff-it happens in every walk of retail!!

As for a bra being too tight-it's meant to be tight, that's what lifts your boobs. It's the tightness of the back and the tightness of the straps that keep you up. Ok yes, don't starve yourself of ****** but it is meant to be tight. A lot of people moan initially that it may be a bit tight, but generally they're wearing something that is too loose and doesn't do the job so they're normally not used to the tightness. When you buy a bra first it should be on the outer hook ie ) ) ) then as you feel the elastic go work your way into the back ( i.e ) ) ) ) , that way you get more life out of the bra! The elastic stretches with you so although initially it'll seem a bit tight it'll loosen up. But if you can't breathe then jaysus don't wear it :)

I love my freya, gossard, lejaby etc, bras and sets but someday I'd love to be able to afford a rigby and peller couture corset or if I had to settle bra, if it's good enough for the queen... :D

A good bra is always a good investment. Getting one while the sales are on however is a bonus :)

If anyone has any questions feel free to pm me.

Very good ! :)
    I`m dreaming about a campaign for a women . Some bra fitting event :D
    I really want to help women choose proper bra, but i`m not irish and my english is to poor for this kind events :(

• Advertisement

Isnt that what Trinny and Susannah went and done(or is it did?) all over the UK?
    We could have an Irish version, ... or a Boards meet up!!!!

Advertisement