Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bra fittings

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ewelina

KatCookie wrote: »
    Isnt that what Trinny and Susannah went and done(or is it did?) all over the UK?
    We could have an Irish version, ... or a Boards meet up!!!!

Similar but smaller and without TV :D Maybe in one of the irish shops with lingerie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 HELM

And from what I've heard the bra fitting company near the National Concert Hall is also amazing

I think you mean bramora - they stock great bras in larger sizes, particularly Freya which is a personal fav. :D & also great swimwear - expensive but worth it.
    Check out www.bramora.com
    Have been measured in M&S and Arnotts - thought Arnotts were great and had a brill selection of bras but had to stop trying them on as I wanted to buy all of them plus the knickers :)
    Next time I need to get measured I'm going to try bramora so will let you know what I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Ewelina wrote: »
    Similar but smaller and without TV :D Maybe in one of the irish shops with lingerie :D

Ooh! Im there! but i dont think a bra fitting is worth going up to somewhere like Dublin for...
    Can we hire a huge bus and then travel around the country fitting women.. saving women chests, one bra at a time!!! Super-Women!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Scorpio Girl

i'm a 34d and went out on saturday to buy a bra to wear under a dress to a wedding. the hardship i had! the woman in house of fraser was lovely and wouldn't sell me a bra because she hadn't got one that fitted me properly. she suggested i go to arnotts, cleary's and debenhams. i went to arnott's and i explained to the lady what i wanted and the make and she just looked at me and said no she had nothing suitable, (very helpful), i went to debs and the woman couldn't help me either, she told me that the bra i wanted wasn't available anywhere. she measured me as a 32d which i knew was wrong.
    i then took a walk up grafton street and spotted la senza. got two bras that will do the job and was measured there as a 34d.

I was in La Senza (dundrum) today and they have a big sale, 70% off. But i couldn`t find any nice bra not padded. I was in M&S as well. They have a good selection and i bought one nice bra. House of fraser have some sale, Freya and those things :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 monters

I think bra fittings are a waste of time. my friend who is slim with big boobs was measured a 40b?!?! and i was measured completely wrong. when i was in the fitting rooms of marks and spensers *supposedly the best ppl to go to for a bra fitting* i overheard a lady coming in to get fitted. the woman warned her that they only measure the band width (34/36/etc) and not the cup size.

sure what is the point in that?!?!?! proves u just to try on loads just to get the right one!!!!!!!!!!!

monters wrote: »
    I think bra fittings are a waste of time. my friend who is slim with big boobs was measured a 40b?!?! and i was measured completely wrong. when i was in the fitting rooms of marks and spensers *supposedly the best ppl to go to for a bra fitting* i overheard a lady coming in to get fitted. the woman warned her that they only measure the band width (34/36/etc) and not the cup size.

sure what is the point in that?!?!?! proves u just to try on loads just to get the right one!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to try with the ebay link above :) enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

I recently got measured in Barmora on Earlsfort Tce and went down a back size and up a cup size. Got some new undies and so many people have since commented that I look like i have lost weight.... I do have a better silhouette with the new gear and found the girls practical and there was no hard sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

SarahSassy wrote: »
    I recently got measured in Barmora on Earlsfort Tce and went down a back size and up a cup size. Got some new undies and so many people have since commented that I look like i have lost weight.... I do have a better silhouette with the new gear and found the girls practical and there was no hard sell.

They're great there, aren't they?

Anyhows, i got an email about this and thought of this thread, and many of us discovering that we have a lot of bras the wrong size in our drawers:
    120,000+ bras wanted for wold record bra-chain attempt to raise
    awareness for cancer support

http://irishbrachainforcancer.com/

> Bras can be sent to Mayo Cancer Support Association, 32 St. Patricks
    > Avenue, Castlebar, Co. Mayo, Ireland
    >
    > We hope to have the 120,000 collected by end of November 2008 but if
    > we dont have all we will extend the date a little further. Keep
    > them coming and tell your friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ballroom blitz

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I'm just back from Bramora (www.bramora.com) and I cant recommend it enough!!! Went from a 36? to a 32?!!! Feel like I've had a boob job they look great!! Thanks for the tip everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭chickenchaser

Bramora is a great bra shop. Best bra fitting ever there. Went down a back size and up 2 cup sizes from my last fitting in Ophelia, and the difference is amazing. My clothes are fitting so much better, I will be going back there regularly!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

went in years ago got measured in one day on a few different shops not one neasurement the same

I get measured about twice a year

got measured last year in Peaches and Cream and the girl was lovely (Sinead) for first time in ages I had 3 choices in bras and none of them involved hiring pygmys to hold the feckers up:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

im sorry but any muppet can measure their bra size, i mean who do you think is measuring them when you do go to a professional (and i use the term lightly) They are just some cashier whos been told how to measure. Im sorry but i can do that myself and i dont know why people are being paid good money to do it. Not meaning to be rude or anything, just really get annoyed at the reliance of our society on "other people". Next thing you know there will be a professional arse wiper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Curlypinkie

^^^^
    Hmm. happy much?

I can just say that there is usually no problem in finding a bra that fits the smaller your boobs are. I used to be a size 32 or 34 a (if even that)

After having an op I went up to a size 32DD or 34D, depending on the brand of the bra.
    In the first few months I didn't have a CLUE what size I was. I measured and tried on hundreds of bras for ages and couldn't find anything that fitted me. So I went to a shop to have someone else help me out with the measuring and to bring me bras to try on (it's not shoes, you can't exactly go out and get a size bigger or smaller without asking somebody anyway)> I would say it's just an extra service that a lot of the shops have that not many people are clever enough, or to shy to avail of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

So I went to a shop to have someone else help me out with the measuring and to bring me bras to try on (it's not shoes, you can't exactly go out and get a size bigger or smaller without asking somebody anyway)

Also, the good staff in the places like the ones we've all been raving about in this thread know their product, eg that a D cup in one brand will be slightly larger than a different brand, that style Y in brand X have narrower straps, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I think it's great to have a person available to fit you. Sometimes, ladies don't know what type of bra to get or if it is fitting you correctly.

I learnt lots of things when I got fitted last (in Myer, Melbourne). The lady was so helpful, told me to always hook the bra on the last setting so as it loses it's shape you go in a hook. Also, about the back of the bra should sit at the same level at the front, so it's not travelling way up at the back. Also, how you know if a bra is too small etc.

Also, people's bodies change - getting older, loose weight, get pregnant and need help finding the right bra to suit them and their bodies/lifestyle etc.

Nothing wrong with that. I can't understand people who can't put on foundation properly but can see that having a make-up artist or beautician help them out is necessary. Nothing wrong with that. Used to pay my wages!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

Yeah I got it done in Marks & Spencers a few years agoD

I got it done in M&S a few years ago, but I don't think the girl really knew what she was at.
    She told me I was a 36c at first, which I knew I wasn't, then she suggested a D, then a DD, then a 34DD, then a 34E!!

Basically, she hadn't a clue, and was just calling out random bra sizes at me.

I'd like to get fitted by Bravissimo, as they seem to know what their about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

i guess you could say that body types change dramatically over your life.... believe me going from an olympic contender to a mother of two changes alot.... but i have to say that measuring tapes do not change and i dont know why anyone would need such a service, maybe its just a mental block i have but if you are going in to get a new bra... wouldnt you try it on anyway to see if you like it? And depending on what type of bra you get also you would have to try it on because different brands bring out different sizes (which i think should be rectified). Probably the difference is that when you are with a fitter you do try them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Well for some people, like me, who hasn't a clue what to do with a measuring tape are glad for the ladies in the fitting rooms. This will sound ageist, but I find the older ladies are better at fitting. Probably comes with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Necro, I know.

But I just read this
    Most people think that cup sizes are the same across all bra sizes, meaning that a B cup on a 34 is the same size as on a 36. This is not true. Cup sizes are relative to the band size, so the same cup size is bigger on a bigger band size. Try this experiment - compare a 32DD and a 36DD. The cup on the 32DD is much smaller than the cup on the 36DD - in fact, it holds about the same volume as a 36C. So don't presume your cup size will always be the same - it might adjust with your band size.
    on
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brassiere_measurements

is that really true ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

My God.

The difference a bra makes.

Have been wearing a 34D/36D.

Tottered into Bramora on Thursday as I KNEW (only lately though!) that my bras weren't looking as they should or fitting me well.

The woman almost laughed at how big my bra was on me :o Apparently my back size is actually a 30 or 32 depending on the brand!

So I walked in in a 36D, walked out a 32FF or 30G.

BY GOLLY! :eek:

The difference in lift and security of bazookas is amazing! Clothes look so much better; I have a waist again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Doghouse

bluewolf wrote: »
    Necro, I know.

But I just read this

on
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brassiere_measurements

is that really true ?

Yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Papillon87 wrote: »
    My God.

The difference a bra makes.

Have been wearing a 34D/36D.

Tottered into Bramora on Thursday as I KNEW (only lately though!) that my bras weren't looking as they should or fitting me well.

The woman almost laughed at how big my bra was on me :o Apparently my back size is actually a 30 or 32 depending on the brand!

So I walked in in a 36D, walked out a 32FF or 30G.

BY GOLLY! :eek:

The difference in lift and security of bazookas is amazing! Clothes look so much better; I have a waist again!

Yeah, I spent some time in M&S yesterday as I knew my old 34D wasn't really fitting(and to think I ever wore a 36C??). Am amazed at how well the nice 32DD fits though, it's brilliant!
    I don't know what I had been thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Also it can change depending on your cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

I got fitted for my very first bra ... I was a 28A, I only wanted one because everybody else had them, i could clearly have done without for another few years :) These days my boobs have shrunk, so i really don't have a clue what i am, but my bra's are huge on me, it makes me feel so self conscious now!!
    :(
    This thread has made me realise though that maybe a proper fitting small bra would make me feel less so!

Advertisement