Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs

Options
  • 11-02-2008 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

Right I don't know much about customs and what way they work but I know if you buy goods from America they will charge you a certain percentage.

Do they open your package to see whats in it?

If I got the items shipped to an American address, got labels etc removed and repackaged (as gift maybe) would I then have to pay customs?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Generally if its marked as a gift you won't pay any taxes.

They go by the value listed on the package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Cheers Jonny.
    Anyone any experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i'm pretty sure its only tax exempt if its a gift under $45 value. i got something delivered last week and there were no taxes. but then it was a gift and it cost $39 so i wasn't liable for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 FDuff

well, from experience, when getting stuff sent from abroad, even if it's not declared as gift, you can be lucky and you wont get charged for duty & VAT, but sometimes you do.

It seems that they do some random pick on what's been received from abroad and go through the invoice.

Now if the invoice is labelled in a foreign currency to the Euro, they will use 'their' currency rate to convert to euro first.

Then you gona pay VAT + duty on that amount.
    VAT is fixed but the duty actually varries depending on what product is being brought in. it can be anything from 0% to 15+% depending on the goods.

So, if they're going to charge you, you can roughly add 23~24% to the amount in euro.

Oh, by the way, they also include the postage cost in their calulation for tax! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

FDuff wrote: »
    well, from experience, when getting stuff sent from abroad, even if it's not declared as gift, you can be lucky and you wont get charged for duty & tax but sometimes you do.

It seems that they do some random pick on what's been received from abroad and go through the invoice.

Now if the invoice is labelled in a foreign currency to the Euro, they will use 'their' currency rate to convert to euro first.

Then you gona pay import tax + duty on that amount.
    I think the import tax is fixed but the duty actually varries depending on what product is being brought in. it can be anything from 0% to 15+% depending on the goods.

So, if they're going to charge you, you can roughly add 23~24% to the amount in euro.

Oh, by the way, they also include the postage cost in their calulation for tax! :eek:

The duty IS the import tax. Perhaps you are thinking of VAT.

• Advertisement

yes! I meant VAT + duty :rolleyes:

FDuff wrote: »
    yes! I meant VAT + duty :rolleyes:

whats with the sarcasm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Also, duty is applied first, and then VAT is calculated on the item, postage and duty. I've noticed the duty is often at around 12%, regardless of what it should be, they seem to just apply arbitrary values whenever it suits them.

Marking as gift does nothing. They open and inspect items at random so if your package does get stopped you'd be better off having the correct value displayed, otherwise they value it themselves and this could be higher than what you paid. You may also be liable for fines if you're in receipt of incorrectly labeled imports. Labeling something in a large box (if it's a large item) as gift and putting a small value on it also makes it stand out, and as such draw more attention to it.

I've found a good guide to what it could cost you in duty and VAT is about 30%.

So is 23-24% a reasonable figure to expect for clothes from America?

Thanks by the way, great help!

I just chanced it.

€250ish worth of clothes coming.

I'll find out the hard way! :)

• Advertisement

I did actually find before some info (table) indicating the duty % depending on the goods' nature on the government website (revenue.ie) but I cant find it anymore, that website is such a mess to find any relevant information! it's driving me insane :eek: as I know it's in there somewhere, but where!?! :confused:

in the meantime, I've found another link that talks about duty, have a look:
    http://www.taxationweb.co.uk/guides/customs_duty.php

anyway, as I said before, it's a bit like the Russian roulette with the Customs.. but if they want to charge you for import duty + VAT you now have an idea on how much it will be ;)

We did all of this a week ago as well. Take a look at this thread

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055231787

Forky wrote: »
    I just chanced it.

€250ish worth of clothes coming.

I'll find out the hard way! :)

Came today! F*€k me that was quick. Item missing though, grrrrr.

Is there anyway I can tell by the documentation if I will be charged customs or do I have to wait for a bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Forky wrote: »
    Came today! F*€k me that was quick. Item missing though, grrrrr.

Is there anyway I can tell by the documentation if I will be charged customs or do I have to wait for a bill?

Usually the DHL/Fedex guy tells you when he delivers it, and takes the cash

That has happened me and I have later gotten invoices...

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

Usually the DHL/Fedex guy tells you when he delivers it, and takes the cash

That has happened me and I have later gotten invoices...

DHL might - but in my experience FedEX make no mention of it and will send you an invoice in a couple of weeks time. They have some system for doing this - I've been charged by them for import duty on an order that was cancelled before they got thier hands on it in the US, they still sent me the bill for imort duty, inspite of them never even picking up the package. Obviously I didn't pay it, but the point is that their system for charging duty/taxes is independent of their delivery system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭campervan

In relation to customs, etc I feel like I am going around in major circles. I had a parcel posted through USPS ion the 29th January - (global priority mail so no tracking code) yet there is no sign of it. I understand that it could be held at customs but I was love to know WHERE this customs is. Is it Portlaoise? If stuff comes in from an international postal service, as opposed to a courier, I presume it gets dealt with by An Post when it lands in Ireland? I tried my local post offices but no sign of it there.

I dont even care about paying the customs on it, if it would just be delivered to me. Having a rural address probably doesnt help :(

if it was sent by usps then it will be delivered by An Post. Its probably held up in portlaoise. I always find it worthwhile paying the extra for Global Express Mail for stuff coming the states. At least then you have some idea where it is.

I know I wish I could have paid express mail, but the silly company I was buying the product off didnt have that option for international mail. I should have known better, but I suppose will for next time. If there is a next time! I hate false economies. When you think you're getting something for cheaper and it takes months for you to get the stuff! I phoned customs today in Dublin but they couldnt help me either, theres nothing you can do really if you dont have a tracking number.

well my parcel finally arrived, it having been sent on the 29th january from USA. However it says it went from sweden on the 29th jan and got to athlone on 22nd february. i would have been quicker flying over to america and picking up the god damn things. oh and i paid €44 customs, not as bad as i had thought! :confused:

Advertisement