Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

midi to qwerty software

Options
  • 11-02-2008 10:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

does anyone know of a piece of software that can be used to make windows think a midi keyboard is a qwerty keyboard?

I have special application in mind.But can't find anything

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Other way round surely? (virtual piano)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Interesting question. May I ask what it is you have in mind?

I doubt there's a specific application available but with a bit of patience you could roll-your-own. Check out PD - its a MIDI-friendly graphical programming environment. You can read incoming MIDI messages and interpret and manipulate them as desired. You may need to write your own PD objects (using C or C++) depending on what your goal is. I may be able to offer more specific advice if you are willing to elaborate.

Weird. I can't imagine what purpose such a gizmo would serve.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Weird. I can't imagine what purpose such a gizmo would serve.

Mike.

Geeks and music technology are a marriage made in heaven. There's a myriad of weird projects and hacks out there. Purpose is almost irrelevant :D

eg:

and

I want one!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Yeah I want a driving license too...

Eh slightly off topic, was anybody capable of sitting through the Grammys last night? The control surface used by Daft Punk with that muppet Kanye West looked like alot of fun!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FUikWh7lOcw

Do yourself a favour and skip to about 2.40.

Apparently a Lemur.

Yeah I want a driving license too...

Eh slightly off topic, was anybody capable of sitting through the Grammys last night? The control surface used by Daft Punk with that muppet Kanye West looked like alot of fun!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FUikWh7lOcw

Do yourself a favour and skip to about 2.40.

Apparently a Lemur.

I caught the clip on MusicThing. Looks like a very cool gizmo, the skeptic in me is wondering whether Daft Punk were actually doing anything with it though :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

cornbb wrote: »
    I caught the clip on MusicThing. Looks like a very cool gizmo, the skeptic in me is wondering whether Daft Punk were actually doing anything with it though :cool:

Not a thing. They're just miming with a couple of lemurs - that said, what they are doing (triggering samples and LFOs and fiddling about with filters and playback on a multi-touch interface) is possible with that technology; just incredibly difficult to pull off in a live context.

http://musicthing.blogspot.com/2008/02/kanye-west-daft-punk-and-many-lemur.html

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

you could do this in max/msp pretty easily, probably in pure data too, i've never used it but its pretty similar as far as i know

ogy wrote: »
    you could do this in max/msp pretty easily, probably in pure data too, i've never used it but its pretty similar as far as i know

PD is a pain in the ass to use compared to Max/MSP. Max is damned expensive though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

think the guys playing with bjork at the electric picnic had very similar controllers to those lemurs, well cool looking!
    why would yo want to use a midi keyboard for typing?
    you can use a qwerty keyboard of midi alright if thats what you mean...

coincidentally just came across something that does exactly what your asking: http://www.bome.com/midi/translator/

very handy when i think about it actually
    it means that you can set up your midi controller to control everything in your DAW, even Save/Undo etc.

check out this guys video on youtube, where i came across the program, for info on how to set it up:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ_2npOAXXA

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

mike65 wrote: »
    Other way round surely? (virtual piano)

Mike.

Anyone know of such a thing.... qwerty to midi?

When I started out I used my qwerty to make basic tunes in Calkwalk Express 3 with an FM card. I can't remember if I used CW or a third party prog for the note input.

Mike.

telecaster wrote: »
    Anyone know of such a thing.... qwerty to midi?

Its a feature in Logic (the caps lock keyboard) and I could be wrong but I think its been introduced to Ableton Live recently too. I seem to remember trying out some freeware alternative for PC, I'll see if I can find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

in ableton you hit ctrl-k/apple-k. in logic you hit caps lock. in garage band it's option-command-k.

unfortunately to do it the other way around will be difficult even with max msp. a midi note signal is about 6 lines of hexadecimal so it won't be easy to convert that to a specific ascii value.
    Give it a go with PD if you're that way inclined (geeky). It's always fun to try and do things like this even if it doesn't work out.

oh and the lemurs are unbelievable. user-designable interfaces. love a bit of that.

they also make far more sense than spending huge amounts of money on big pieces of hardware that act like glorified midi-control surfaces (the Euphonix stuff etc.).

unfortunately to do it the other way around will be difficult even with max msp

this isn't true at all:) max is high level so you don't deal with the hexadecimal or whatever. when you play a midi note in, all the parameters (note on/note off/volume/etc) can easily be routed to anything you like in max.

but as i said, the free classic version of bome's midi translator does exactly what the original poster asked. and as mentioned the other way round is easy in ableton and logic.

ogy wrote: »
    this isn't true at all:) max is high level so you don't deal with the hexadecimal or whatever. when you play a midi note in, all the parameters (note on/note off/volume/etc) can easily be routed to anything you like in max.
    ok sorry it's just i remember doing ascii stuff in max/msp and using the low level code. i can't really see a way of doing this is max without using the low-level stuff. although i'll admit i'm fairly sh1te at programming, so i'm probably way off the mark.

a notein object will output a value for each key on the midi keyboard. you can easily convert these values to the required ascii key number, then the itoa object (integer to ascii) will print out whatever ascii number you give it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement