Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chapter One: Lose Some of that Fat!

Options
  • 11-02-2008 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭

Hey, I've decided to keep a journal for the next four weeks as I plan on lifting weights and doing a bit of cardio to help lower my bodyfat. I find it hard to have any kind of long term continuity so I'm going to start over every 28 or so days.

Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 88.9
    BF%: 17.5

According to a stupid Tanata scales so no ones knows what the really are. I took pictures, I'll stick 'em up later.

I'm going to do deadlifts on Mondays, bench on Wednesdays and squats on Friday. With two other exercises on each day as well.

:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Deadlift
    85kg x 5 x 5

Barbell Rows
    40kg x 5 x 5

Barbell Curls
    30kg x 8

I ran two half kilometres today, I don't know why but I wasn't in the mood for any sort of long run, I just wanted to sprint for a bit.

I'm delighted with the deadlifts, I know they're small weights but I didn't think I'd get it, I'll go for 90kg next Monday!

I done deadlifts on Saturday (with other lifts), and bench on Sunday (with other lifts) just to get back into it so I was in a lot of pain today before I even started! And just to note it's my first time lifting since September...

:cool:

Bad bad day diet wise and exercise wise.

3km power walk.

Diet: Bowel of porridge for breakfast with a banana. Smoked salmon (100g with brown bread) sandwich 3 hours later. Same three hours after that, but with a half litre of milk. Then I had 2 pints of Bulmers and a nagun of Vodka, it's rag week in my college by the way. And then a 12 inch buffulo Apache pizza at about half seven...

Bad day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dv6

Dont get hung up on the bad day, keep at it, ya dont have to live like a monk, keep at it.

1km jog on a treadmill, incline was five and it took 6 minutes 54 seconds. First time using it on incline and I was sweating more than I would if I had ran 5km with it on flat! I ran it in the morning.

Then in the evening:

Bench Press
    60kg x 5 x 5

Military Press

35kg x 5 x 5

Tricep Extensions
    7.5kg x 7

I was really happy with this. On Sunday I done the same exercises, the military was 30kg, an it was still tough then but today it was almost brutal! And it was the same weight on the bench as today, but on the fourth set I got 4 reps and only 2 on the fifth, class!

Diet wise wasn't too bad. Porridge and a banana in the morning. Chicken fillet, mushrooms and whole wheat pasta (700kcal and too much protein, about 80g). Later I had more pasta and a tin of tuna in sunflower oil. And now I'll be having to chicken fillets.
    dv6 wrote: »
    Dont get hung up on the bad day, keep at it, ya dont have to live like a monk, keep at it.

Thanks for the support! :D

FECKIN' FECK YEAH I'M DELIGHTED!

Deadlifts

90kg 8 x 3 (that's three sets folks)

Barbell Rows
    45kg 6 x 3

Bicep Barbell Curls
    25kg 8 x 3

I can't believe I got all those deads!
    _______

Earlier today I ran 1km on incline 5, it took 6 minutes 23 seconds. I was wrecked after it.
    And a while later I ran flat 1km, it took 4 minutes 57 seconds.
    _______

I ate a bowel porridge for breakfast. Then wholewheat pasta with chicken fillets. Then a stew with mince, potatoes, carrots and a few other vegetables, it was a very small portion though. I should have ate more. Then I had more wholewheat pasta and chicken, energy for the weights. And now I'm gonna have a chicken fillet.

I never mentioned it but I take two fish oil tablets and two multi vitamin tablets almost everyday.

:D

• Advertisement

Squats
    25kg x 3
    30kg x 3
    35kg x 3
    45kg x 3
    50kg x 3
    55kg x 3
    60kg x 3
    65kg x 3
    70kg x 3

Stiff Legged Deadlifts
    65kg 5 x 5

Today was my first time ever doing squats and I didn't think I'd get up to 70kg and I'm very happy with it. But what really surprised me was my mate that I convinced to lift with me. He's one of those people that just does bicep curls only. That mad bastard got 70kg x 3 as well, he only weighs 55kg. Really impressive, it was his first time squatting as well!
    :eek:

Diet wise, porridge and an apple. 200g of smoked salmon. 200g of smoked salmon (it was in the fridge and its expiry date was yesterday). Chicken fillets, mushrooms and brown rice.

One full week gone since I started lifting again, delighted with it!

Deadlifts
    95kg 5 x 5

Barbell Rows
    45kg 5 x 5

Bicep Curls
    30kg 6 x 3

Diet: Prridge and an apple. Some Shepards Pie. More Shepards Pie later on. A chocolate bunny thing. And whatever I eat now.

I've been sick for the last four days, and my legs have been dead since those squats, today is the first day where the pain isn't horrible! My diet was terrible on sunday and monday.

I'm lifting on thursday, cause I'm going to a gig in Dublin tomorrow (Michael Schenker!).

Bench Press
    45kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    60kg x 3
    65kg x 3
    70kg x 2

Tricep Extensions (one dumbell for both hands)
    16.5kg x 8

:o

Diet has been fairly terrible for the last few weeks. It's been okay today and I'll stay trying to make it better.

I don't really care about the weight anymore, even though it is going. But I do care about trying to lift three or four times a week. Though this was a bad week for that!

Deadlifts
    100kg x 5
    105kg x 5
    110kg x 3 (grip got too sweaty)
    115kg x fail

Military Press
    30kg x 15

Barbell Curls
    30kg x 10

Strange session tonight. Might go for a run later on depending on how I feel.

I think I had more reps in me for the 110 but my grip was going quickly. And then I couldn't lift 115, strange... I'll get it next time I try for it though, definitely! And my arms feel great right now.

CRAP! I just realised that I was meant to do barbell rows, not ****ing shoulder presses. Ah feck... I'm an idiot, I don't know why I done the presses instead, feck. Ahhh no.

HIIT: One minute sprint, one minute jog, with about 30 seconds between each waiting for the treadmill to slow down and speeden up.

3km in 18 minutes 5 seconds. I am wrecked, this was real difficult. I would have found it easier to just run 5km! I was switching between 14kmph and 4 kmph and spending a minute on each one.

Wrecked! :D

And I decided last night on running the Great Dublin 10KM in Pheonix Park. It's on in 40 days!

• Advertisement

Bench Press
    65kg x 8

Military Press
    37.5kg 6 x 3

Tricep Extensions
    16.5kg 6 x 3

The last two days I didn't have a pre training meal (pasta and protein), today I did and I had a lot more energy!

I'm going to do HIIT tomorrow, hopefully between 10kmph and 14/15kmph for as long as possible I suppose. And I might deadlift if I'm up for it.

Arghhh I'm dead!

HIIT: 12kmph for 4 minutes. 15kmph for 1 minute.
    10kmph for 3 minutes. 13kmph for 2 minutes.
    7kmph for 2 minutes. 11kmph for 2 minutes.

I hit 2.5km in exactly 14 minutes. I'm wrecked but it's a lot more fun than just running on a treadmill. I have over a month to train for the race, yayyy! And one of my mates said he'd run it as well.

2km run in 10 minutes 47 seconds.

I was wrecked after it. Next week I'm going to have to start running 5km three times a week to get used to it.

Deadlifts
    100kg 6 x 3

Barbell Rows
    30kg 15 x 3

Bicep Curls
    30kg 8 x 3

Fairly wrecked after this, after the 3rd deadlift on the first set I almost gave up.

1.5km jog.

I was hoping to squat today...

Squats
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5

Stiff Legged Deadlifts
    70kg x 10

Wrecked! And I won't be walking anywhere for a few days. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

whats ur motivation behind stiff legged deads? its an odd lift to have in ur particular program

Bench Press
    70kg x 6

Close Grip Incline Bench

35kg x 8

Military Press
    35kg 10 x 3

Tricep Extensions
    15kg 8 x 3

Barbell Bicep Curls
    35kg x 5

I almost seriously damaged my hand with the close gripped benching. I'll need a new bench if I'm to do it again, and my elbows were cracking as well with it?

whats ur motivation behind stiff legged deads? its an odd lift to have in ur particular program

I found a link on Team Test Forum to a basic lifting routine for strength and on the legs day it had squats and SLDL!

Push ups x 15
    Crunches x 25
    Incline push ups x 10
    Reverse crunches x 10
    Push ups x 15
    Crunches x 25
    Incline push ups x 10
    Reverse crunches x 10

Ha just done this there, first time doing anything like it in a long long time and it took it out of me. Especially the incline push ups, I could barely do any reps of the last set of them.

I'll start doing something like this more often!

Dumbell Rows
    15kg 15 x 3 (and on each side)

Barbell Curls
    25kg 12 x 3

Tricep Extensions
    (one dumbell, two hands just so yis know)
    15kg 12 x 3

My legs and chest are still sore so I couldn't do any of the main three lifts. Starting a new job tomorrow, a 12 hour shift so there will no exercise tomorrow... though the job involves standing on the same spot for the whole thing. Ouch.

Diet has been going well for the last week or so, since I set up a Food Log!

• Advertisement

Deadlifts
    110kg x 6

Not a training session by any means, I just wanted to check out how many reps I could get. I reckon if I had better grip I would got 8 or 9 reps, but the callouses (sp?) on my left hand are in bits and it got too sore.

I started working (normally 12 hour shifts) last week that's why I haven't been training. I'm gonna be starting tomorrow night though. My diet has been good since I started that food journal I weigh 86.2kg now. Though today was a cheat day.

For the BBBC I'm gonna start taking supplements. I've never taken any before so it'll be different:
    Creatine
    https://nutritionx.ie/store/creatine-p-49.html
    Pro Matrix
    https://nutritionx.ie/store/pro-matrix-5lb-p-51.html
    RAM
    https://nutritionx.ie/store/ram-p-45.html
    L-Glutamine
    https://nutritionx.ie/store/lglutamine-p-46.html

My diet will be like it is now I think, maybe a bit different but I have been eating clean (bar today).
    And I'm thinking of training with this program http://www.t-nation.com/article/bodybuilding/the_waterbury_summer_project there are loads of new lifts to learn in there as well.
    I done a few curls and tricep extensions yesterday, and punched pads for a while...

Boards Super Mega Summer Body Challenge: First Log Entry!

Deadlifts

100kg 8 x 2
    105kg x 4
    My grip is terrible, I could get more reps if I had gloves on a think.

Dumbell Rows
    27.5kg 6 x 3
    These were very tough! And my left side is weaker than my right :o

Barbell Curls
    30kg x 10
    28.5 x 10
    27.5 x 10
    26kg x 10
    25kg x 10

Feelin' good! :cool:

HIIT Running:
    2 minutes at 10kmph
    1 minute at 15kmph
    2 minutes at 10kmph
    1 minute at 15kmph
    2 minutes at 7kmph
    1 minute at 15kmph
    2 minutes at 7kmph
    1 minute at 15kmph
    2 minutes at 4kmph
    1 minute at 16kmph.

I was happy with this, I covered 2.6km.
    Hopefully in 8 weeks time my HIIT sessions will be more like 2 minutes 12kmph 2 minutes 15kmph for 20 minutes!

I used the two minute slow runs to get up to the fast speeds and come down from them, so I made sure each 1 minute sprint was a full minute at that speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Great work there Funkz,

How are the supps going for you? Is recovery better?

In your first post you mention fat loss was one of your goals, do you plan on reducing your whole foods total calories because of the additional calories from the RAM & Pro Matrix?

Whats the timing of your supps?

Squats
    50kg 8 x 3

Deadlifts
    100kg x 3

Just a crap quick session, just back from work and wanted to lift something. But I'm sure I'll be feeling DOMS from those squats tomorrow haha!

siochain wrote: »
    Great work there Funkz,

How are the supps going for you? Is recovery better?

In your first post you mention fat loss was one of your goals, do you plan on reducing your whole foods total calories because of the additional calories from the RAM & Pro Matrix?

Whats the timing of your supps?

Hey mate, I didn't get them yet. But when I do I'll reply properly to this post.

Yep I'd reduce my food intake when I take them, I don't have time to eat anymore anyway!

Deadlifts
    100kg 6 x 3

Barbell Curls
    30kg 8 x 3

Squats
    60kg 10 x 3

Delighted! And time for football so I'll lift more after that, oh yeashh.

I have plans to do SLDLs, Dumbell Rows and Military Press later, all mixed up haha. :pac:

And now:

Military Press
    25kg 12 x 3

Dumbell Rows
    25kg 6 x 3

Barbell Curls
    25kg 10 x 2

Reverse Barbell Curls
    25kg 8 x 2

Tired, good pump

• Advertisement

Woke up and ran 1.7km which I think is a mile. Gonna do this frequently for the next two weeks and then increase the distance.

Went from 10kmph to 14.5kmph three times. Fairly dead, hard to breath. Need to stop smoking I think.

Advertisement